Converted to Electric Brakes, and a swing Tongue.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

Well... this post isn't going to be as long as I hoped. It was hot, and I forgot to grab the camera.

Anyway... As some of you guys know... I'm not a fan of surge brakes... and my islandia project boat needed new brakes. So, I made the decision to remove the surge brake, and replace it with an electric unit. Even though, I didn't get too many pictures... it really is a straight forward install. More or less... you remove the old brakes, and bolt on the new units.

There were several reasons I decided to not rebuild the surge brake system, that was on the trailer.

1) There was no fluid in the Master after I got home from my original drive from MI to PA. (so I would have to figure out where it went, and fix the issue)

2) There may have been multiple issues after I got into the system. (ie. EXPENSIVE)

3) Potential Legal issues. FED DOT says that they aren't legal, although, they have never been denied.

4) This system didn't have the reverse lock solenoid, so I had to do something for a lock out.

5) Pittsburgh is very hilly, and surge brakes are a pain in that situation. They are known to drag going down hill, even at highway speeds.

6) Did I mention expensive?? (let's face it... I'm cheap)

I would list some "Pro's" for surge brakes... but I personally can't find any. There are people who say that they are more water/corrosion resistant... but the units I removed where "Std duty" brakes. So... if they were bein dipped in salt water... they would have been rusted solid.

OK.... about the electric brakes.

PRO's:

1) They are very cheap. Even if I need to replace a magnet, or brake shoes.... I can buy an entire backing plate (with all new parts) for $40 or less. (that's less than the shoes for the surge brake)

2) I can control the braking force from the cab. (safer in bad conditions, or on gravel roads)

3) When they are wet... I can put just a touch of power on them (from the control) to dry them out.

4) They work backing down a steep boat ramp. (safer)

5) don't have to worry about fluid, or bleeding the system.

CON's:

1) some people say they rust easier when used in a boat trailer. (but they are made with the same drums, and painted backing plates. So, I don't see it)

2) Some people say... "Electricity, and water don't mix". (This is true, but it's low voltage, and the magnets, and wiring are sealed. Also, under normal conditions, I'm only feeding them about 4 volts, at 1 amp)

As you can see... the Electric CON's don't seem like con's to me.

OK... as I removed the old system... the brake drums and shoes looked like they were never even used. They are in great condition!! But, the few drops of fluid that cam out of the hoses, was black, and full of sludge. As some of you guys know, the boat came from a rental shop... so the trailer probably didn't have too many miles on it. And, since they were only towing it about a mile (to their ramp) they probably didn't care that the brakes weren't working. But, after pulling the system apart... I would have had to replace all the lines, the Master, and the 2 wheel cyl's.

Once it was off... the first thing to address was the missing 2' of trailer tongue that the surge master cyl made up. That was easily fixed with the addition of a Fulton swing away tongue. I had to trim about 4" from the trailer... drill a few holes... and simply bolt it on. The instructions with the kit are easy to follow. And... the new parts look so much better than the rusty parts that came off.

After that... I bolted on the new electric brakes. That was also a very simple job. More or less... you just bolt on the new backing plates, and install the drum like any other hub/brake unit. With that said... my flange on the axle had extra length on the bottom, and it needed a small trim so the new backing plates could sit flat.

The wiring was also easy. You basically just run the new brake wire in series from the magnets, and up to the connector. Needless to say, you will be switching from a flat 4 connector to a round 7 pin. The only thing you need to think about is the battery box, and the brake-away switch. I mounted mine just behind the tongue hinge. There are 3 wires on the box. One is battery power (that goes directly to the trailer plug) and that charges the battery when hooked to the truck. One goes to the ground... and one goes to the hot wire for the brakes. (The switch goes in-line with that)

To solve the potential water issues with the wiring... I soldered all the connections, and covered them in heat-shrink. I also added a waterproof plug to each of the magnets, so I could unplug the backing plate for easy removal.

The entire kit for the conversion was about $190 from ebay. That came with wire, drums, bearings, seals,backing plates with all the brake components installed, lug nuts, dust caps, brake-away switch, battery, battery box, and a trickle charger.

I will make updates to this thread as I put some miles on them... and as always, I am open to questions, and/or debates.

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

Looks good, I prefer to be able to grab the trailer brake alone when you get into a hairy situation. Been quite a few times that the trailer started wagging behind the truck and being able to crank the brake on the trailer alone straightens it right out without me having to worry about dying :)

Tony, now I understand why you didn't like the Surge Brakes for backing up. That didn't sink in when you started that other thread. If you had a flat-4 wiring, you never had the reverse lock-out solenoid. That requires a flat-5 or round 7. Your only option would have been the lock out pin and getting out of the truck each and every time you backed up the driveway.

Good luck with this setup, looks nice.

biffdotorg: Does your X-20 trailer have the electric lockout?

That's where this all started. I knew mine didn't have the lockout... and since there wasn't any fluid in the system... who knows what could have been wrong, or needed replaced. For all I know, I could have flushed the hoses... and re filled it... and it would have been fine. But, my gut was telling me that there was a deeper issue. Also... I could have changed out the master, and found the leak... and then still had problems. I could have probably fixed the surge brake for under the $200 that I spent on the e-brake system... but I would have had to do 2 or more sessions of troubleshooting, and repair. WHERE... the new kit was a one day... "Bolt it on" thing.

But I'm glad that you can now see where I was coming from.

Who knows... they may not hold up on a boat trailer. But, I did save all the surge parts if I ever feel like putting it back together.

Took the boat out on it's first trip with the new brakes. AND.... they work SO good !!!!!!! It was nice to be able to turn the brake power up or down as needed... and when I was backing into the driveway... I just reached down and turned the power down to 0... and it made life easy.

Just an FYI... in the hilly roads around the house... they worked perfect a 5.5... and on the highway... a 4.5 was perfect.

I will make a few more updates as I put a few more miles on it.

Nice work. I may do this with my X20. I pulled out all the surge brake rusted crap and welded the tongue. The boat and trailer together are only about 3k lbs. If anything, I'd just put the swing away tongue on it so I can get it in garage w/o removing it. This islandia's are closer to 4k lbs. alone correct? ....so you definitely need good brakes. Wish I had gotten the islandia myself, but I got mine so cheap I couldn't pass it up.

so what all came in the swing-away tongue kit? i'd kinda like to put one on my big double trailer so i don't have to cram it all up against the wall in my garage.

The swing kit was on the clearance rack at Gander Mtn. ($79) It came with the hinge, 21" front tube, new 2" coupler, new safety chains, and all the hardware.

Yes. The islandia, on the trailer, with fuel, and some gear... it's around 4600 to 4800 Lbs. (Boat: 3100, Trailer 1100, 55 gal fuel, 3 gal oil, 20 gal fresh water, and other crap) I have been towing it without any brakes... and my truck could handle it. But, I know if I got into an emergency situation... it could have been ugly.

Hi Guys,

This will be my last official entry.

We just got home from our vacation to Deep Creek MD, and without a doubt... the electric brakes were the best mod I've done in a long time. Because of where we are... there are some very steep hills. One of witch brought us to a 25mph crawl. Well... on the back side of the hill... I was in perfect control. Also, I was able to adjust the power to make it feel perfect. Also... with these hills (18% grade) the surge brakes would have cooked themselves on the way down. (They would have been dragging the entire time)

The total trip was about 200 miles with hills, twisty roads, and "City" travel. The electric brakes worked perfect in all those conditions. Also, now that they have had time to bed-in... I'm able to run the power way down at about 2.8 to have a nice feel.

Finally... The ramp at the hotel we stayed at (Will O the Wisp) is stupid steep, and long. (you have to be good at backing a trailer to hit it, and not the trees) It was VERY nice to have working brakes going backward.

As I said before... I don't think these brakes are any more susceptible to rust as a surge brake is, and since they are simple, and inexpensive... I highly recommend converting if your surge brakes are at the point of needing replaced.

Hi All......

OK, it's been a year to the day. And... as above... it's still the best mod I've done. !!! I have at least 2000 mi on the trailer at this point, and I have ZERO regrets doing the change-over to electric brakes.

So, if your surge brake is done... save the $$$ and swap them out.

Hi All......

OK, it's been a year to the day. And... as above... it's still the best mod I've done. !!! I have at least 2000 mi on the trailer at this point, and I have ZERO regrets doing the change-over to electric brakes.

So, if your surge brake is done... save the $$$ and swap them out.

I had a 27 foot Sea Ray with twin 292 I/O's with surge brakes. Towed it with a Chrcy C-60 (two tone). The truck was set up with adjustable electric brakes for one if our trailers. I converted my boat trailer over and never had an issue with them.

When I towed it with the C-60 it didn't care. But anything smaller the electric brakes were a life safer.

My my

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back