DESS Key/Post Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1052

I have been searching for like an hour and cannot find this exact problem. I just bought a 97 Sea-Doo GTI and have managed to get it running but am having a strange issue with the key. I was able to start it on dry land just fine about a week ago. Ran it for a few seconds and started it 2 or 3 times. Well I got it on the water today and when I put the key in it would beep twice, then when I hit the start switch it would turn over for a second and then beep at me and stop(I cant remember the exact combo, it seems like it was random beep combinations). If I held the key down REALLY hard it would start and run until I moved my hand slightly and it would die, this just kept getting worse and worse the more I messed with it. We finally got it working by bending a redbull tab in half, doubling it over and sticking it in the key so it's between the post and the metal tab in the key. It ran beautifully for a good hour or so without a hiccup. I could just leave the tab in there but if I fall off that tab will be gone and I will be stuck lol. I could try and see if aluminum foil will work and just keep some in the boat. My question is do I have a bad post or a bad key? Or should I just replace both of them and call it a day?

New development. Cleaning did not help, I layered some foil up in the key and it ran pretty good for most of the afternoon, it would die occasionally but wiggling or reseating the key would let it start back up. Well I was on the way back to the dock and hit a wave and that completely killed it. I can't get it to beep at all. Oil light comes on when I press start like I don't have a key in it. I can't even get it to beep by pressing start 5 times. Do you guys think the post is dead or is there something else wrong? I don't really see how an impact would have killed the post so I'm worried something deeper is wrong. The computer was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner. I'm going to try and test the post when I get time this week.

The post rarely fails. I would go with the key being the problem. You can get one off the Internet and have someone program it. Make sure all the ski's connections are good. I would start there. Make sure the ground connection on engine is clean and protected with dielectric tune up grease. They sell it in tubes. Make sure all the wiring junction plugs are latched and tight. Look at your fuses too. They may be crudded up.

I ordered another key, im pretty sure that is at least part of my problem. I'll check the fuses and connections as well when I get a chance. It's almost as if something got knocked loose when I hit the wave.

I'll go just the opposite, the post fails before the key. I had to replace one on my 98 spx. Requires no programming either.

You should look in the service manual on how to test the post with a meter. I'd post it but I'm at work.

My Speedster would randomly shut off, jiggle the key and get my 2 beeps. Ended up being a bad post and as stated before no programming needed.

From an earlier post...

I would start by cleaning the Post on the safety lanyard. It is beeping and saying it isn't connecting to the Mpem, (Multi Purpose Electronic Module) It needs to beep 2 times to let you know it is ready to start. Clean the post and cap with soapy water. Don't use any grease of lubricant on it as it needs a clean connection to make contact. Connect the lanyard to see if it is making a connection. 2 beeps and it's ready to fire up.

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed;
connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.
Timer Verification;
The timer is integrated into the MPEM. Always confirm that the fuses are in good condition. To confirm operation of timer, remove the safety lanyard from switch. After 5 seconds delay, depress start/stop button once. The timer should stay on for 33 seconds (for example, the gauge(s) will be activated) and than turn off.
Here is all the info on the DESS codes. It is possiable that you are getting a mixed code.
DESS Codes/ Beeps
2 Short beeps …the engine is ready to start
1 Long beep …no communication to MPEM
4 Short beeps… (on Jet Boats) Shifter is in gear
8 Short beeps…defective MPEM
1 Continual beep…engine over heating

Advanced Self- Diagnostic Mode

By pushing the start/stop button 5 times, you’re putting the DESS in advanced diagnostics. When you have successfully done this, you'll hear 1 short, 1 long beep then, put on the lanyard cap. The engines should start if everything is ok.

2 Short beeps means MPEM can’t read the lanyard cap or it has bad magnet. It could be a bad wire connection at the Lanyard switch.
2 Long beeps means wrong lanyard or bad connection of DESS connection
3 beeps signal the wiring harness of the DESS switch are grounded, or a short circuit somewhere.

You may have a bad connection in your wiring harness, from corrosion. Go through your electrical systems connectors and check for corrosion. Clean them with some contact cleaner, then die-electric grease.

To listen to the codes again start from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back