coolest mod for challenger 180SE?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoolovr

What is the coolest modification you have either done yourself or seen for a challenger 180. More power? lighting? seats? towing? you name it, what's out there?:thumbsup:

I just finished replacing all the original fuel lines, then removed the gas tank baffle and repaired the bad fuse. Now I will know how much gas I have and that gas wont gunk up the carbs as bad.

Last week I replaced the original speakers, which appear to have blown out years ago.

Not a mod per-se, but I removed the port jet to remove a rock earlier this week. Though I think it helped cause after I torqued all the nuts correctly, the engine sounds better.

It has been an eventful 4 weeks as a Seadoo owner.

I bought a fish finder tonight. But that is a project for tomorrow.

I dont have a challenger, but ive done tons of mods to my boat. Hydroturf is hands down the best thing you can do. Greatly improves the looks of the boat and make it much more comfortable. After that it was the audio system.

Mods

Hands down a large amplifier and a subwoofer are the best mods. After that was a airboom 3d tower, dual batteries, a transom mounted stereo remote and of course hydro turf on the rear platform. I prefer carpet inside. Also I used spray foam to insulate the outside of the rear seat containers so they hold ice and beer longer. Also a new impeller seemed to help although I barely remember what stock was like. I also prefer my boat with a windshield over the ones with the tinted fairing.

Several videos I have made show my Challenger 180 doing various things.

http://vimeo.com/kevin3151/videos

KH

I've added the tower, hard frame bimini, granite hydro turf to inside, light grey hydroturf to swim platform.

In the next couple of weeks I'm adding a stereo remote to the swim platform, a couple of wetsounds tower speakers and an amp.
It's coming along great.

cheers

I just finished installing a fresh water shower. I will post some pictures soon. We have a 2 1/2 year old Potrugese water dog and we can rinse her down so she can dry salt free. Its mounted in the side transom so we can use it on the rear platform.

I've also installed a great deal of sound proofing in the engine and storage areas. Helps a lot...

limarc - soundproofing is my next mod. Can you share any details of what product you used and how/where ?

Thanks !

This is a standard seadoo wheel. We have made the remote fit inside.

What did you do with the remote cable? I just purchased new Sony remote for my stereo and it looks like will fit in the steering wheel. Really like how you did it. It's same round shape. Just wondering how the cable will go through the wheel.

We haven't got that far yet. I imagine w will just drill a hole through the boss into the steering colum and loop the power cables a few times, all alpine remotes operate on RF so there's no control cable to worry about,

Looking at the Sony remote you have you would not have it secure flush from the rear but take the centre piece out and mount in the existing hole ( possibly with a hub extender).

Mine will be 30mm closer to me by the time were done.

Last edited by a moderator:
We haven't got that far yet. I imagine w will just drill a hole through the boss into the steering colum and loop the power cables a few times, all alpine remotes operate on RF so there's no control cable to worry about,

Looking at the Sony remote you have you would not have it secure flush from the rear but take the centre piece out and mount in the existing hole ( possibly with a hub extender).

Mine will be 30mm closer to me by the time were done.

Thanks, Man!
I'll post some pics as soon as I get it. Already installed a 8" Clarion Subwoofer with Kenwood Amplifier and all new wires for the speakers. All I have to do is to install the remote.

No worries, I thought a few 150 speedster owners would like what I've done. Remote placements in those boats are far from ideal. Looking at the remote in the 2012 model the driver can't even see what's on the screen! With the Sony remote the key will be the diamiter of the back on the unit, start looking at hub extenders too.

No worries, I thought a few 150 speedster owners would like what I've done. Remote placements in those boats are far from ideal. Looking at the remote in the 2012 model the driver can't even see what's on the screen! With the Sony remote the key will be the diamiter of the back on the unit, start looking at hub extenders too.

Jeez! I got the remote today. This thing is huge. No way it can be mounted in the steering wheel. It's big as mid-size turtle... I have no idea why they designed it so big. Now I have to find another spot for it... Any ideas are welcome.

Jeez! I got the remote today. This thing is huge. No way it can be mounted in the steering wheel. It's big as mid-size turtle... I have no idea why they designed it so big. Now I have to find another spot for it... Any ideas are welcome.

That's the same thought I had when the alpine remotes arrived. Speedsters are a pain to add extras too. M sure you'll find a spot though.

Moochy, what's the diameter of your Alpine remote? I found the same steering wheel as yours and the opening is like 2". Maybe I'll be able to do it in the wheel...:)
Also how did you remove the steering wheel? I took the plastic cover off then the bolt that's holding the wheel and then what? Just try to pull it or there is something else to be done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moochy, what's the diameter of your Alpine remote? I found the same steering wheel as yours and the opening is like 2". Maybe I'll be able to do it in the wheel...:)
Also how did you remove the steering wheel? I took the plastic cover off then the bolt that's holding the wheel and then what? Just try to pull it or there is something else to be done?

The hole In a standard seadoo challenger wheel is around 2 inches. My machine shop made the hole big enough to fit a mc20 remote. You need to be careful as momo wheels for example didn't have enough meat on them to mill out.

I'd need to see a picture of your current wheel but I reckon what you have is more like a car steering wheel where a rubber cover goes over the centre bit and the main part of the wheel is built onto the boss assembly that connects to your shaft.

What you would need then is a marine boss kit to suit your steering shaft then an adapter like what we are making to attach the new wheel assembly to the boat via nuts and bolts.

The hole In a standard seadoo challenger wheel is around 2 inches. My machine shop made the hole big enough to fit a mc20 remote. You need to be careful as momo wheels for example didn't have enough meat on them to mill out.

I'd need to see a picture of your current wheel but I reckon what you have is more like a car steering wheel where a rubber cover goes over the centre bit and the main part of the wheel is built onto the boss assembly that connects to your shaft.

What you would need then is a marine boss kit to suit your steering shaft then an adapter like what we are making to attach the new wheel assembly to the boat via nuts and bolts.

Yes, you are right. It's a standart 96 Speedster wheel and it looks like what you just desribed. Can't take it off though, so I'm not sure if my shaft is tappered or splined. Couldn't find info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back