challenger 180 2007 engine code p0616

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

supermario

Hi everyone ,need help pinpointing a problem on my challenger 180 2007,the boat pops up the code p0616 after riding for approximitly 30 to 60 minutes.Checked in service manual and it gave two choices,1st (Starter relay short to ground or open circuit) or 2nd (Burnt Bilge pump, beeper, diagnostic center 3A fuse).We thought we had solved the problem as our bilge pump was seized and blew out the fuse,but the next ride out we found ourselves with the same code once again.The pump is ok and no problem with the starting system.So anybody has info would greatly appreciate.

Thanks.:bigear:

Challenger 180 2008 engine code P0616

Hi there Supermario and anyone else who may be able to help.

I just had the same problem occur with my 2008 Challenger 180 this past weekend. Out on the wateer for about 1h and then the check engine came on and an error code P0616. Its seems this code stands for Starter Solenoid Relay? The boat still starts fine but something is definately going on that shouldn't be. Now when I put the DESS on the post and if the boat is in neutral it starts right away without even hitting the start button. If i put the DESS on with the boat in Forward or Reverse it doesn't start right away but if I move the shifter to neutral agan it starts right away without pushing the start button. Crazy thing is if i leave the boat sit overnight and start it the next day the problem doesn't occur until after about 5 minutes of usage, then the error code comes on and the very loud buzzer. :( Once the boat starts and is running I can hear something running on the starter that isn't shutting off once the boat starts, almost like the starter is still turning away even though there is not grinding noises or anything of that nature, just a whining noise which sounds like when the bilge runs but its definately starter related and NOT the bilge. I'm thinking that based on the code the starter solenoid relay needs replacing and hopeful that may be the problem. We live in an isolated part of Canada and good luck trying to get service so I am thinking I should try and order the Starter Solenoid relay and see if that works as it seems to me the relay if faulting and not allowing the starter to turn off once the boats starts and when in neutral. Also, when I shut the boat off and remove the DESS the starter still makes the whining noise for about 5 secs after and then finally stops. Of course if I turn the main power switch off then that also stops the whining noise. I really hate to wreck the starter by continuing to use the boat as it still does start just fine a side from the whining noise and the ability for it to turn over as soon as the DESS is put on. So after all that, can anyone recommend if its likely the Solenoid Starter Relay and if I should order the part and just change it myself? Its looks like an easy part to change based on the search I did for the part.?!?

Thanks for any advice in advance! :)

PS...Supermario, did you have any luck fixing your issue which sounds very similar to mine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to you goldade

I read your reply ,although we have a problem with the same code our starter does not stay on nor does the starter turn over when we install the Dess on it's post.Unfortunatly working 60 hours + this week but my son will look into the solenoid and any resistance in wires or if we have a voltage leak du to corrosion in a connector .As for your problem ,your solenoid should be working since you said that when you put in forwards or reverse the starter does not crank .I'm looking at the wiring diagram and to activate your solenoid you must have the following conditions,DESS on post,lever in neutral and start/stop button pushed in.You might a shorted wire ,bad start/stop switch,(hopefully not a bad ECM).

good luck

Keep me posted on progress ,we will get back with news soon

:bigear:

goldade, i think you have your problem pinpointed. i think your solenoid is stuck and is running you starter constantly. when you have it in fwd or rwd, the switch in the shifter is keeping it from shifting. the solenoid is very easy to change probably takes around 15 minutes but is very accessable. if you have trouble finding one let me no. i have a woking one that i took of another boat that works fine.

supermario, i would start checking wires. you may have a short somwhere. dont forget there is a wire that runs directly from the battery to the automatic bilge switch.

update on engine code P0616

Super Mario and Rexteiner,

Thanks for your replies guys. Yesterday I ended up hauling the boat in to the nearest Seado Dealership to have them check out the problem. Of course the main seadoo mechanic is off this week so another mechanic was going to look into the problem when he got a chance. Our family has holidays booked for next week so of course the kids (and adults) are really wanting the boat back in the water. :(

Later yesterday I got a call from the mechanic who said he hooked up their shop diagnostic tester and although the code shows as having occured he could not get it to come up in the shop. I explained to him in detail what the boat was and wasn't doing as per my original post on this forum and that in order for the problem to occur the boat previosuly needed to be warmed up and run a short distance and then it would alarm and flash the code. Of course in the shop they can't run it that long so he suggested they may have to run it out to the nearest bay of water to test it and try to get the code to occur. I said 'OMG' what is that going to cost me? No reply really. He says he doesn't believe its the starter solenoid relay as it starts just fine and the solenoid it doing its job. I said well for the cost of the relay (cheap) perhaps it would be best to replace it just encase but he was hesitant. Anyway he then said there was a small pond not to far from their shop that he could run the boat over to and perhaps back the trailer and boat in far enopugh to run it for abit and see if the code comes on. I have not heard back from him yet but an really starting to worry this could end up being a huge bill just to diagnose the problem, let alone fix it. If he doesn't figure it out soon I'm going to get the starter solenoid relay ordered and just replace it myself and head back out the the lake this weekend for holidays and test it. I'll keep you informed Super Mario although as you said our problems do seem quite different with the exception of the code being the same. :(

Anychance anyone else on the forum has experinced the problem and code I'm having? Any other suggestions/ideas?

Again, thanks in advance folks.

These boats are a blast when they are working but there are so many electronics controlling everything that even the guys working on them are stumped often it seems :(

Seadoo duldrums... :(

problem solved

Checked out fuses,stater solenoid,vcm,efb,ecm connectors for resistance,and found the purple wire was stuck in the back engine mount and shorted it self.Going to post pics of wire.Thanks to my mechanic James :cheers:

P.S.Goldade check wiring sounds like something maybe shorted also keep on posting

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    846.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    899.8 KB · Views: 43
Still having problems with code P0616

Hi Supermari and Rexsteiner,

Firstly, glad to hear you resolved your issue Supermario, now get out on the water! :)

Update on my issue: well last week the boat was in and the mechanics could not get it to display the problem in the shop or when they backed the boat and trailer into a small body of water they use for testing (I don't believe they took the boat off the trailer, just backed it in and ran it). I told them to still replace the starter solenoid relay and also the start/stop switch. Total cost $400 for parts and labor :( I took the boat out to the lake this weekend and within seconds of unloading from the trailer and starting it the code flashed on and the alarm went off...again. :(

So the boat is back in the shop but this time I also took videos of the symptoms and sent them to the service manager also. Hopefully they can figure this problem out before I have to take out a second mortgage on my house. :mad:

I could e-mail the videos (5 short clips) to anyone who might be interested in seeing the symptoms for themselves.

Fingers crossed but not feeling real confident. :rant:

I'll keep you all posted on update, I have not heard a thing back from the shop yet.

goldade,Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with the boat,by the way James and i took the doo for a spin yesterday she ran like a champ unfortunatly the weather forced us back to the dock early.If you're dealer still does'nt find the problem,let me know i will try to scan the electrical diagram and post it so you can pinpointe you're wires for the solenoid.The system is basic and is very similar to the automobile.If you're ECM is good i would still put my money on a wire that is grounding it's self.

Keep us posted:bigear:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back