Cavitation issues, how bad does this impeller look?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cashel

I've got some cavitation after a friend borrowed the jet ski and claimed he fell off of it into some weeds. I wasn't there so I don't know the whole story. I had replaced the wear ring ~6 months ago, still running the original impeller.

When I took the pump off, this is what I found for the wear ring and impeller (15 pictures of the impeller, wear ring, and pump):

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw4uEKUIa13OQXJTTWVpYXc1N28&usp=sharing

For reference, this is how the impeller looked ~6 months ago before I replaced the wear ring among many other things:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw4uEKUIa13OZ2xadmpiVlpTS0U&usp=sharing

Now the wear ring I have on there now is toast I assume from the pictures, despite it being relatively new.

I already have a new one ready to go in the pump, but I'm wondering if the impeller is still good, or does it need to be replaced? I don't want to waste money on a new wear ring if the impeller is just going to chew it up as well.

If you look at the two albums above, it was slightly chewed on the outside previously, but seems a little worse now. The inside seems to have taken a beating and is bent slightly on each of the fins.

Also, what about the pump itself? There was a small nick or two on the bronze pump fins previously, but I believe it's acquired a few more. Is there anything to worry about this?

Yep, he hit something alright. I don't 'think' the vanes are a problem but the dings on that impeller look kind of bad although it had some in the "original" photos. SBT offers an exchange impeller deal for $59 that you might consider. When you put in the new wear ring, turn the impeller and feel for contact as it turns. If it touches your pump housing may be out of round. Sometimes you can turn the new wear ring and get clearance but mine was not a real tight fit so I could do that.

The wear ring looks O.K. to me, but yes definitely replace the impeller. Take a dremmel and clean up the vanes on the pump..

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back