Carrier Bearing ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much slop is acceptable in the drive shaft carrier bearing? I'm having problem with my 1995 Seadoo Sportster. The engine runs fine and I can get the boat up on plane, but after 10-15 minutes of riding, the engine bay begins to fill with water. I turn the bilge pump on and it is able to pump out most of the water. The storage locker in the center of the boat is never wet. I grease the fitting, but notice that there is a line of grease on the under side of gray cover.

If I was to replace the carrier bearing should I also replace the wear ring on the pump? Because of this water issue I have only taken the boat out twice. Would like to get it fix by Labor Day.

TIA

There shouldn't be any play in the seal pack on the drive shaft. It has an inner, and outer seal... and there is a roller bearing in the middle. The bearing should ride smooth on the drive shaft, and hold it all centered. If it "Wiggles" then the seals will burn, and leak. Also... when it leaks, it will wash out the grease, and rust the bearing.

FYI... if you continue to run on a bad seal pack... it could seize up, and rip the boot. When that happens, you have a 2" hole in the back of the boat, and you will sink. (quick)

Assume you will need a seal pack, or at least the parts to rebuild it. BUT.. take it apart, because you may find that you need a new drive shaft too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I was hoping that it would be you that would reply. I am able to grab the carrier bearing at the grease fitting location and I am able to move it about a 1/16" up and down and I assume side to side.

I ordered a new carrier bearing, but I know that I could also rebuild my old one so I may do that just to have a spare. Should I also be concern about the sleeve in the hull?

Both time We only ran the boat for about 10-20 minutes because of the water in the hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back