Carbon seal / carrier bearing types?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

amp3d

Hey everyone,

I feel slightly embarassed to ask this, but I have obtained 3 older seadoos over the years, and to my surprise each one has a "different" driveshaft sealing method.

Many years back, I replaced a carbon seal on my 96 xp. So I'm pretty confident in that system.

However, a parts seadoo I picked up recently has a carrier bearing with a zerk (grease) fitting on it. I took the pump out on that to have as a spare, but then I noticed my 1989 seadoo SP has a carrier bearing with NO zerk fitting on it (only one on the pto)

Is this normal? Where there 3 different configurations from factory or is the SP without the zerk fitting something the previousl owner removed?

If all of these methods are interchangeable, is one preferred over the others?

Hope this question makes sense! If not, I can grab a few photos (I'm more concerned about the SP that has no grease fitting)

Yea there are a couple types of bearing carriers and then the carbon seal in the newer models. I always run the bearing carrier with the zerk fitting, can buy rebuild kits and whole new assembles from OSD marine.

The 89 SP had a unique design that was not very good. It only was around for the one year (2 years if you count that elusive 1988 SP) before being replaced in 90. I am not sure it is possible to convert it over since I believe the hull has a different shape. So I think you will be stuck with the system that is currently on it.

The 89 SP had a unique design that was not very good. It only was around for the one year (2 years if you count that elusive 1988 SP) before being replaced in 90. I am not sure it is possible to convert it over since I believe the hull has a different shape. So I think you will be stuck with the system that is currently on it.

Does this mean I should pull the pump and regrease everything annually or something?

maybe see what the operators manual suggests for that bearing. Just a thought....could you drill and tap your own grease zerk? you would need to be careful not to allow the zerk to go too deep and impede the movement of the bearing.

I would personally pull it apart and change the seals right away. This way you will know for sure it is good. Then follow the manual for regular maintenance as per rustys suggestion.

Back