Shaft bearing carrier seal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twigg1012

After getting one of my new-to-me 1990s skis running, it seems there is a slow leak from the bearing carrier/shaft seal. It is a 1992 xp. There is a slow drip of water coming from in front of the bearing.

About an inch of water in the bilge after sitting for half an hour, slow enough that the bailer tubes can handle it while riding, but I would like to be able to dock it for the weekend.

Am I correct in assuming I need to remove the pump, pull the driveshaft back some, and just put a new bearing in? Or is there more to it?

Seems deceptively straight forward.

If it is leaking you need a new outer seal. Depending of how well you kept the bearing greased it might be ok. But to be safe probably best to change it out when you have it out.

It is as easy as you said, pull the pump, pull out the driveshaft and remove the carrier seal. There are two seals, but the most important one is on the outside stopping the water from getting into the carrier. But if you plan to leave it in the water maybe change both to have that extra protection.

If it is leaking you need a new outer seal. Depending of how well you kept the bearing greased it might be ok. But to be safe probably best to change it out when you have it out.

It is as easy as you said, pull the pump, pull out the driveshaft and remove the carrier seal. There are two seals, but the most important one is on the outside stopping the water from getting into the carrier. But if you plan to leave it in the water maybe change both to have that extra protection.
Ok, I was going to replace it with this, which I think has seals included? Sea Doo Drive Shaft Seal Carrier & Bearing SPX XP SPI GTX GSX GTS | eBay

Is that correct?

Will the driveshaft just slide out with the pump off or is something else holding it in place?

Yup, that part will solve all your issues.

Just make sure you undo the small clamp on the PTO rubber boot and the driveshaft should just pull out.

depending on how the pump was installed you might have to work that a bit to get it to release. Sometimes people use silicone\adhesive to seal the entire pump to the ski. I never do that. I just use the neoprene seal and a bit of silicone around the bailer and intake fittings. It makes removal much easier.

Oh, and be sure to remove the hoses attached to the pump inside the ski otherwise you will get nowhere fast. Happened to me once I am embarrassed to say.

Hopefully you have no issues.

Yup, that part will solve all your issues.

Just make sure you undo the small clamp on the PTO rubber boot and the driveshaft should just pull out.

depending on how the pump was installed you might have to work that a bit to get it to release. Sometimes people use silicone\adhesive to seal the entire pump to the ski. I never do that. I just use the neoprene seal and a bit of silicone around the bailer and intake fittings. It makes removal much easier.

Oh, and be sure to remove the hoses attached to the pump inside the ski otherwise you will get nowhere fast. Happened to me once I am embarrassed to say.

Hopefully you have no issues.
Appreciate the insight, part is ordered and should get it done on Saturday. Cheers.

It is that easy to fix. The carrier has two seals and one bearing. You can find them on ebay pre-assembled for cheap. If osd marine has a pre-assembled I would go with them.

Pump some grease in that thing, it might help a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back