Buzzer and check engine but does not enter limp mode, restarts clean

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this ski Labor Day last year and used it for about 1 hour twice, second time was after supercharger rebuild. This weekend was its first outing this year. After an hour and a half or so of riding the alarm went off and displayed check engine. This happened in a turn and did not seem to enter limp mode. Pulled lanyard, waited a moment, restarted without errors and trailered it. I did punch the throttle once and it responded as normal. On the trailer I checked my fluids, visual check of the engine, systems, and bilge. Also entered diagnostic mode (pressed set 5 times with lanyard on) and found no codes. The only problem I found was the radiator fluid was low with about 1" left in the reservoir. Earlier in post and preseason maintenance while trailered I changed the radiator fluid, oil, oil filter, and plugs. I burped the coolant system per shop manual instructions but my suspicion is I did not get it fully burped. I did however check all fluids after launching and warming up this first outing and everything was spot on. I plan on lake testing it before next weekend. Any suggestions on other things I should be looking for so I can make every effort to have a successful test? Should I take it to a shop and get the BUDS report even though I did not see any codes in diagnostic mode? Thanks in advance for your help

You have to press set 5 times while the code is active meaning when it says chk eng. Once you shut it off, it was no longer active so it doesn't appear. BUDS would tell you what it was but isn't worth the expense. On the older 4tecs, hard riding will set off a code due to not enough water into the exhaust like hard turns/spins in one direction. As soon as you straighten out, it is fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it but get the code if it happens again.

On some of the earlier skis if you keep them at wide open throttle at low speeds while doing donuts and such you will overheat the exhaust because of not enough water flow. Straighten it out and it will get enough water to cool it off and runs like nothing ever happened. I'm guessing this is what happened to you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back