BRP voided warranty!!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
For the last couple years, members who have heard me say this, probably don't want to hear it again. I am working with a forum member who is having a problem with getting warranty work on his 4-TEC...

I've often said and will say again, if you buy a new Seadoo and you get the warranty or extended warranty, make sure you read the details of how often you need to have it serviced, what has to be done and by whom can do it. You only have to make one mistake and BRP will deny your claim and because you changed your oil for the 10 hour service, then at 30 hours your supercharger blows, guess what, your the one footin the $2000 dollar bill to repair or replace it.

Below is a copy and paste of a PM I got from a member I've been working with. I have tried to help him with some advice but I'm a mechanic, not a lawyer. SO, I hope he gets his repairs without being burned by BRP......."read on"..

Took the ski in with the cracked plug coil. Dealer submitted claim to BRP...denied.

I spent around 40 minutes on the phone with a nice BRP csr and faxed proof of maintainence. She said they may reconsider with the new info. Reason for denial: independent mechanic worked on it.

Never mind that he didn't catch the problem and neither did they when I had it put on the BUDS system later. Now I have read the manual and improper service by non-seadoo techs is a reason to deny warranty, but nobody has said yet exactly what he did that was improper, or how an oil change could destroy a plug coil.

It was a crapshoot, taking it to the dealer. If the claim was approved, I pay 50.00 deductible. Denied, means 116 for the coil and any diagnosis and labor charge.

I read and re-read the warranty. There is no prohibition on out of network mechanics. Looks like I will have to try to get the dealer to eat it, or pursue it further with the BBB and perhaps an attorney.

Though it is not worth an attorney's fees.

I will try to get the specific reason the claim was denied in writing, but I have my doubts.

Worst case scenario: I am wrong about the plug, out of many $$$, and we repeat the charade. Next best: the plug coil fixes the problem, I am out of many $$$.

If the dealer says he won't help, then I will follow your advice and contact the BBB. When they reply to the complaint, and they will, THEN I will have something in writing.

Ask the member with this problem to "ask" BRP were in the manual it states that all service including the 10 hr has to be done by a seadoo dealer or the warranty will be void? I just bought a "NEW" 2008 RXP. No where in the manual doest it say this. It even provides a check list of things to check at certian (hr) intervals. Me and him payed BIG buck for these new craft so there no way seadoo can tell us that we "MUST" lol pay them big buck to provide **** services or they will void the warranty. The member in question needs to go to a diffrent dealer that will stand up and fight for them. As ive seen in the past seadoo pushes of all warrant claims its up to the dealers to stand up to BRP when it comes to this kind of thing. Anyway i thihk brp warranty suck... cant wait till mines done so i can start moding :cheers:

From my owners manual

Page 128 -

As the owner of a Sea-Doo Sport Boat, you should be aware that BRP may deny your warranty coverage if your egnine(s) or a part failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications

Page 122 -

BRP reserves the right to make warranty coverage contingent upon proof of proper maintenance.

If you do the 10 hour service yourself, that wouldn't be "proper maintenance" unless you have a BUDS system to hook it up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my owners manual

Page 128 -

Page 122 -

If you do the 10 hour service yourself, that wouldn't be "proper maintenance" unless you have a BUDS system to hook it up too.

If you do the 10 hr yourself the correct way they cant void the warranty. I dont concider clearing a service light that comes on at perdetermind times maintenance. The light doesnt even stay on it only flashes once when you put the key on. Deal near me will hook it up to buds and clear the light for free. Anyways the warranty should still be valid aslong as the proper service was done.

If you do the 10 hr yourself the correct way they cant void the warranty. I dont concider clearing a service light that comes on at perdetermind times maintenance. The light doesnt even stay on it only flashes once when you put the key on. Deal near me will hook it up to buds and clear the light for free. Anyways the warranty should still be valid aslong as the proper service was done.
It's not just about clearing a service light. They check for any stored EMS codes that might indicate a potentional problem. Check to make sure that you followed the proper break-in procedures. If you do the service yourself without having these things done, that would be cause for BRP to deny your warranty claim.

It's not just about clearing a service light. They check for any stored EMS codes that might indicate a potentional problem. Check to make sure that you followed the proper break-in procedures. If you do the service yourself without having these things done, that would be cause for BRP to deny your warranty claim.

On my ski all error codes p-.... are displayed when you insert the dess key. I will be doing all my own service as all the dealer around me suck. One thing people miss is regular supercharger slip check's. When parts in the supercharger wear the slip lessens causing the warshers to slip more witch causes the washers to fail. What the problem with the members boat? if his dealer and brp arent will to help maybe we can at least help him figure out what wrong with it unless there 100% sure its a coil.

Posted thread.....

I posted this thread in particular with 2 members who are now fighting BRP for money they had to spend because BRP would not cover the motor (both of them 4-TECS) because they sent a letter to both of them that under their records, it states they took their skis in for their 10 hour sevice (one of them) who was not a BRP represented mechainc. The other guy, who also owns a 4-TEC, had a part that broke from his ignition system, where BRP issued a release that this part was faulty and could cause problems but that there was no true way to test it before it failed.

His failed so the mechanic turned it into BRP for the replacement cost, he too was denied because the mechanic did not hold a BRP certified mechanics certificate to work on these motors.........

Anything a member states in this forum as to what you can do to your motor, that will not void your motor, your being foolish. We are not qualified as mechanics or lawyers to give this advice. So, contrary to what Sportsterme has written, I would not take his advice, my advice or even a dealers adivce. If you have a problem with your watercraft and it is under warranty, write or call BRP and get their approval on who and where you can get this work done that meets their requirement standards. A 4-TEC engine is roughly $5000 dollars to replace................dont' take any chances.:cheers:

Locked.....

Because I wrote this thread as an informative thread as to my personal experience with members who are fighting BRP on warranty issues, one of them is fighting and his boat is a 2009 model, I did not intend it to be a thread open for debate.

If you'd like to add your personal experiences with your issues with BRP warranty, please open a thread for yourself.

Remember, the 10 hour service is not about just changing the oil. From what I've been told by a mechanic at a local Seadoo distributer, they check your engines performance with B.U.D.S. to see how the engine performed over the first ten hours. The software will lay out a printed graph, like an EKG of the motor. If the mechanic sees any problems with it's performance, he will also take the time to tweak the systems, whether it's the ignition, timing or fuel system.

It's a total falacy for memebers to believe that all they do for your bucks is change the oil...........it's quite a bit more detailed than that.:cheers:

Warranty follow up...

I just received a PM from the member who had the denial from BRP to cover the costs of his repair.

I'm going to post his PM so you guys can read it. The purpose for this is black and white. It's not an issue to debate or fool around with. I'd recommend that all do exactly what BRP requests in their policy, including the 10 hour service, or they will have probable cause to drop future claims.

I think it's also safe to say, none of us have the amount of money to fight the um-teen lawyers that big business hires to get out of situations like this. So, if you try to fight it, your chances of winning your case is slim.

Below is the follow up from this member:

Well, it's been a while, and BRP has responded, but will not pay a cent. I will tell them that I am going the BBB route and will pass on the information that you suggested, ie that I am a member of a forum with 20k active members and this will be posted for all to see.

You may use any of my posts as you see fit. The bottom line is that

1) I had intermittent rough running from a defective coil that....

2) Neither an independent mechanic nor a BRP tech diagnosed properly and......

3) Now warranty service is being denied because I took it to an independent tech, who merely changed the oil, and battery, and ran diagnostics that were backed up by a second trip to the Seadoo shop with the BUDS system. No error codes either place, both missed the problem.

The Bombardier tech bulletin and manual identify the potential problem and fix, neither the independent tech nor Seadoo applied the test, which was to replace the suspect coil with a new coil and see if it works.

They missed the problem the same as the independent tech. But the warranty is voided because I took it to an independent tech, who did nothing to worsen or fix the problem. Moreover, the technical bulletin was dated about the time when the coil began to deteriorate, so the mechanics at Seadoo would not have had enough advance warning to head off the problem anyway.

At no time was I allowed to talk to a corporate representative above customer service, nor contact anyone by e-mail. I diagnosed and fixed the problem myself.

On a lighter note, the ski runs fine. It idles a bit rough after a lot of hard running. The tach varies between 1600 - 1800 rpm, with an occasional stumble into the high 1500's at idle, but not enough to call it a "miss." The throttle response is smooth and positive with no missing, unlike when the coil was bad.

Any suggestions for the rough idle, since I am on my own regarding the warranty, it appears? Or is this even enough to consider a rough idle, since the non-idling response is good throughout the spectrum?

Thread?...

Did you read through the thread? There are quotes from members who pointed out where in these service agreements, this is so stated.

The bottom line is, if you do something yourself or if someone who is not a certified BRP representative does it, your taking a chance.

So many people are under the impression that the 10 hour service is just to change the oil. It's not. There is so much more they do that most people don't know. WHen you take it in, they connect it to the B.U.D.S. sofware and do a full readout on how the ski ran. Was it ran properly on break-in? They'll know, the info is in the memory in the form of a graph........

They might also see a fuel/air ratio that isn't burning the fuel efficently and make some changes to fine tune it. They may discover a sensor that isn't calibrated correctly. The TPS may need to be re-zeroed out...

These are things that most independant repair facilities don't have. I would think, if they have the VCK and B.U.D.S., they would also be a certified BRP reprsentative.....................:cheers:

Back