Blown pistonon SBT rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hontell

Bought an SBT rebuilt 155 hp rotax 4tec for my 2003 Sportster last year. With less than 20 hours on the engine the number 2 piston disintegrated. Put a scope in the spark plug hole and all we saw was connecting rod with pieces of aluminum in the pan. Any one else having problems with pistons SBT uses? Thank you for your input.
Howard

Wow, would love to see pictures and let us know if this a warranty call. I bought a rebuilt used seadoo engine from Riva. I am at my 20 hours and it's been running great all summer. Of course BRP would not even offer warranty as I put it in myself.

SBT seems to be very good, or very bad..

Many have installed them and never had a single issue, others installed them and they never ran right and had to get replaced...

X, I'll try to post pics. Bought the motor last may, blew a plug out of the oil galley, they sent a replacement plug said use the motor and then replace it at the end of the season. Much fighting with SBT this spring and they agreed to honor their warranty. This is a rebuild of the same motor, they gave me an extra month on the warranty, by the time they figured out the right parts to rebuild the jet pump (bearings etc) the warranty was done. Now they want pictures for their collection, but no help. Buy another crappy motor. Barely broke it in.

thanks for the support, trying to get them to do something, hate to buy another engine for a 13 year old boat

thanks for the support, trying to get them to do something, hate to buy another engine for a 13 year old boat
I did a NDAA lookup on a 2003 sportster 4tec 155 to 200 HP. It was about 5K. So that means the cost of a new engine or even used is around 3K plus. So you are in a difficult situation. So if you sell as is, the best you can do is maybe 1K to 2K.

Let us know the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back