Best choice to buy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brenick

I am brand new here and would like some advice/opinions. I'm trading my pontoon boat in on either one brand new 08 Sea Doo GTI, or Two 07 Sea Doo GTI se's. The 07's were rentals at a local resort both have around 150 hrs on them and have had had new impellers or whatever the rear housing is that gets replaced due to rocks, sand etc. They have been maintained by the dealership I'm working with, only a 30 day warranty. It would be $1000 more for the two 07's. I would love to hear some opinions!

actually I would buy a rental car...depending on the situation. Any other opinions? $8,500 for two 2007 gti se's with double trailer and covers, new wear rings and impellers.

actually I would buy a rental car...depending on the situation. Any other opinions? $8,500 for two 2007 gti se's with double trailer and covers, new wear rings and impellers.

Its a whale of a deal but physically they'd have to be in pretty good shape with minimal defects on the skin. Thats a lot of time on the motor and I know how I driven rental skis in the past............ Hard is a good word to use. LOL

150 hours in 2 years time? You're going to have some pretty significant enternal engine maintance to take care of and be preventive on a lot sooner than buying new or with less hours.

It's actually 3 years of use, summer 07, 08 and 09. Here is my formula 12 weeks per year is 36 weeks total. 150 hours divided by 36 weeks is an average of only about 4 hours per week. That doesn't seem like alot of use to me. Am I thinking right?

Everything I have read says these engines will go at least 1000 hours with no major maintenance, what maintenance would be needed with 150 hours, other than routine.

There is a guy on ebay from ocean city md (salt water) selling 08 gti rentals with 650-750 hours on them for over $4,000, he claims the engines are rated for 2,500 hours.

Thanks for the replys would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Well i agree with the above post's, rentals are driven hard and then they are fixed and sold for a profit no mater how good of a deal they are. I personally would stay away from the rentals and go with the other one. I have also never herd of a seadoo or any other PWC going 1000 hours with no major problems or even lasting that long, but that's just my two cents.

In most cases I agree with you guys on the rental thing. This is a small town, these are rented at a small, kind of an upscale family resort. The ski's are in excellent physical condition. I grew up with the dealership that services them, and unlike most dealerships, I trust them to a certain extent.

I'm more concerned with the 150 hours, is that really alot of hours, or is it just that private owners like most of us don't have alot of time to ride and we are use to seeing used skis with 40 - 50 hours of use.

Who knows of major problems with the sea doo 4 stroke? I only hear good things and that they actually will go a ton of hours without major maintenance.

To me it doesn't sound like you want to know what the best choice is to buy, but yet you want to talk yourself into getting the used ski's.

Personally I don't think 150 hours is that bad mine has over 100 with nothing done to it but servicing. But I know how mine has been drove as opposed to how most rental skis are drove. I am a different person when I get on a rental ski though.

My biggest concern would be about the break-in procedure on the machines. That will change the life of the machine for sure if it wasn't done right.

Not talking myself into the rentals...In fact I'm leaning towards buying the new 08'. I wanted to explain the situation exactly to see if anyone saw any value in the two rentals. With a family of four it would be nice to have two, but I don't want to buy a couple of headaches.

The rentals are also se models with the speedo, rear ladder and mirrors, the 08' is the base GTI, these seem like some very useable options.

mirrors are 75.99 online at an established dealership website. Rear ladder... My ex gfs dad had one on his never used it and he's in his 60s. I never used it, she never used it.

the dreamometer is never accurate, your top speed is gunna be 52-53. 5500 is about 35 mph (on gps) on a slight light chop. Once you find your RPMS for 35 and Top speed on a GPS what do you need the dreamoeter for?

I bought an 09 GTI base because of the color scheme. Adding the mirrors over the winter. Then it'll look like an 08 GTI SE almost. Just bought my GPS and handlebar mount, so theres my speedometer.

No RENTALS!

Nope...........pay the extra bucks for a nice ski. Do not buy rentals. They are put through the mill and are beached, not taken care of and are not going to be dependable.

You will be spending a lot to keep them up.........warning........STAY AWAY!

This hour thing gets me. I am new so please bear with me, but 150 hours for an engine to run if it has been serviced is diabolical. That’s only 6 days. If your motorbike only run for 6 days solid you would not be impressed. Maybe some one can enlighten me because to me 150 use is very very very little I would expect 1000’s of hours from an engine before you have problems. What am I missing and not understanding here ?

Bay Cruiser, thats what I am having a hard time with, doesn't seem like that many hours to me.

Stripesace, awesome post that helps me alot because there is also a left over 08' gti se for $700 more than the gti.

Everyone else thanks for the posts, keep em coming I think I will have to make a decision tomorrow.

well everyone seems to recommend the new boat, but I think you should go for the used boats. I understand rental skis are run very hard and that 150 hours may be considered higher that normal hours, but rental companies usually maintain their ski's pretty well, like fleet vehicles such as old police cars. maybe cosmetically they are a little lacking, but i would think the engine would be well taken care of, they cant be breaking down while customers are riding them, and its much more expensive for the company to fix something that breaks than it is to maintain. also, even though the hours are a little high, the ski's themselves are not that old. there is a huge difference between a 97 with 150 hours than an 07 with 150 hours. plus, two jet ski's are waay cooler than one, i know that for a fact. anyway thats just my .02

I think it makes a difference what the rental location is also. Beach rentals where just anyone can rent by the hour vs a small family fishing resort where the folks that are renting are staying there for a week at a time. By the way these are the only two they have ever rented. They had to replace the wear ring and impeller on both machines and decided not to rent anymore.

I have rented quite a few cars in my day, I have never abused them. I wouldn't hesitate to park in a tight spot though.

Aren't Jet Skis made to rip across the water, pull tubes, and have fun with?

I'm just arguing the other side.

I bought my '06 GTI because it had the right color combination that I liked and it was also in very good condition having only been used in fresh water. It had 78 hrs on when I bought it but people were saying "gees that's a lot of hours".
I can't come at that it is almost like new and runs beautifully. Like others have said what's the big deal on hours.
Just on another slant, is it easy for me to check the wear on the wear ring without having to take it to a dealer to inspect (visual ???). It's due for 100 hr service in the not too distant future but for my own peace of mind I would like to know the condition of the wear ring, and in my case the dealer is 150 miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the advice. I finally got a chance to go out and look at the used 07's. I was still undecided on the way and hoped that seeing them would help make my decision. I have to say you guys hit the nail on the head. I was told they had a few scratches on the phone. They were beat to $#!#. Chips out of the hull, small rip in the seat, obviously beached all the time, the underside was all scraped up and chipped.

Anyway, I bought the new 08' GTI, I will buy the mirrors over the winter and go from there.

Well I have to say thats how every rental ski looks that I have ever seen.

With that said, I believe you made a good purchase on getting the 08 gti. Now have fun and be safe.

It has a white hull. The SE model had a black hull. I liked the looks of the black hull better, but The used 07's had black hulls and you can see every little scratch or ding.

The dealership agreed to store it for the winter for me, hard to buy a new toy and drive away without it.

I trave for a living and rent about 30 cars a year. I can tell you that I would not purchase a single rental that I have driven. :reddevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back