Battery issues on 05' RXP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbgreene

I've installed a brand new sealed battery just a week ago, and I'm already getting an alert on my information screen of "12volt LOW". I've taken it to the lake only 2 times since i installed (in which the last visit i wasn't able to restart). Any ideas on what may be draining a new battery like this so fast? Thanks for any help!

Is it a good name brand battery? (Yuwasa, or Diehard)

in my shop, I've seen a bunch of bad batteries right out of the box. Wal-mart, Advance Auto, Chief auto, and Interstate are some of the worst.

Before blaming the battery though... put it on a charger, and make sure it has a good, full charge. Most new batteries need a top off charge to bring them up to full, and since a jetski normally sees a bunch of start/stop cycles... depending on your riding habbets... it may have never gotten a full charge from riding around.

Last thing... are you sure your ski is charging? I'd give the battery a charge... start the ski, and see if you are getting about 13.5v at the battery.

It's an Interstate Cycle Tron-Plus battery. The previous owner had a SeaMate which is what I wanted to put back in, but couldn't find one at my local dealer. I am charging as we speak and will be visiting the lake later today so we'll see how things go. If today fails after riding I will re-charge and test voltage at the battery. Hopefully it's just the battery and not something else?? Thanks a lot for your insight.

Personally... I think that Interstate makes some of the worst batteries, and I don't know how they are still in biz.

With Interstate, you either get one that is bad out of the box, or it's dead in one year. (just after the replacement warranty) And on top of that... they are one of the most expensive.

I bet you will find that your charging system is just fine, and you have a crap battery.

Good luck

I'd take it back, and buy a DieHard.

FYI... the bike and PWC batteries from DieHard are made by Yuasa.

After charging the Interstate battery I rode for 2-3hrs later that day. By the end of the day my jet ski alert indicator was telling me again low 12v battery. Once I was home I took the battery out and hooked it up to the charger to find less than 10% remained. I recharged back to 100% (approx. 2hr process to do so). Maybe it really is a crappy battery I'm not really sure? Any suggestions?

I checked to find the battery is a 30amp/hr.

ps - I read the dealers receipt and it states "no returns on electricals". I would think a battery would fall under that category??

A battery should not fall under the regular No return policy since the battery is warranted by a different manufacture.

But... with what you are telling us... since it' taking a charge in your garage... and dieing in the water... your ski isn't charging. You may have a bad regulator, or stator.

Fire up your ski, and see if you are getting +13 volts.

This may come across as a "dumb" question but how do I test the voltage at the battery when my ski is on?

If the regulator or stator is the problem how hard would it be to replace/install myself?

How

With the motor running(on hose preferably) place leads of multi-meter on battery, you should see steady increase of volts up to 14.0V.:cheers:

tested the battery at terminals to find good voltage.... is it very possible i have a bad voltage regulator? does this occur often?

Get your battery load tested first. Sometimes by charging a battery the actual acid will hold voltage ( called surface voltage or surface charge) and thus gives you a good volt reading, however, this current quickly dissipates under load and the voltage drops quickly again. The real test is to load test the battery. The load test actually puts the plates that store the current under real pressure, more so than your starter on the ski, thus if it passes this load test then the battery truly is OK.
I run a battery business in Australia and some of the PWC batteries they sell here are absolute rubbish. I myself put a new PWC battery in that failed in 12 months and because it was so new had me questioning the rectifier. So before you look at the ski just get that battery load tested to avoid a costly repair. Goodluck.
P.s Yuasa Batteries made in either Japan or in particular the good old USA are near bloody bullet proof. See if you can't grab one of those. They'll be cheaper seeing as you live in the US, Down Under customers almost have to mortgage their homes to buy one because Yuasa are so costly.

Search some other related threads to make sure of the following procedure.
Start the ski, on a hose, get a voltmeter and get someone to rev the ski to 5000-5500 rpm and check the voltage. If the volts reach between 13.5 to 14 volts thats OK but if you get readings at 15 volts and above your rectifier is toast.

Sorry just to add to that I see its a 05 RXP so the motors will be different. I only have a 2 stroke GTX LTD, they have a rectifier set up. I am not familiar with the modern Seadoos.
Best bet is to search for a related thread on this forum. Personally with a nice machine like yours I'd take it to a reputable Seadoo service centre.
Quiz guys on this forum about which is the best service centre to take it too.
You might find someone on this forum who knows dealers in your area.

Goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back