bad relay...AGAIN

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyboy76

wanted to get boat fired up, starboard kicked over, port just clicked, jumped the relay, turned over. Ok, so, ordered " NEW" relay, installed it, motor kicked over. So havn't messed with boat, until today, and tore carbs apart..etc,etc. went to kick motors over(had to, do to water in motors), so finally got starboard run'n nice, went to kick port side, and turn'n-n-turn'n(get'n water out), then nothing. Turned pto by hand, smooth. Go to hit start/stop and turns,turns,turns, nuthing. Seems like, let sit for a few, then will kick a few revolutions then nothing..mind you, when this happens, I jump the relay, and wham..she'll kick...:confused:
So....do I have a bad relay, again or something weird with electrical somewhere...aprreciate any ideas

You get it to fire up when you jump the starter relay but it won't with the start button? Check the spark and the ground wire from the coil. It might be a bad connection.

Karl

thanks Karl..gonna take gander at ground from battery to starter..

when you say 'ground" wire...only wire/s at the coil are the 2-black wires witch connect under the bolt secure'n the coil, which its a plastic stub, or you refer'n to the wire connected to back of coil..believe its blk/red?

...Go to hit start/stop and turns,turns,turns, nuthing. Seems like, let sit for a few, then will kick a few revolutions then nothing..mind you, when this happens, I jump the relay, and wham..she'll kick...:confused:
So....do I have a bad relay, again or something weird with electrical somewhere...aprreciate any ideas

Your information is very confusing. If the engine "turns, turns, turns, nothing", does this mean that the starter cranks the engine over but it doesn't start???
If the engine turns over, the relay is OK.
Or,
Does the starter spin but not turn the engine over? If so, the relay is OK.
How did the water get into the engine?

Chester

Your information is very confusing. If the engine "turns, turns, turns, nothing", does this mean that the starter cranks the engine over but it doesn't start???
If the engine turns over, the relay is OK.
Or,
Does the starter spin but not turn the engine over? If so, the relay is OK.
How did the water get into the engine?

Chester

hey Chester....
may sound confusing, cuz i'm p***ed. Boat sat for some time, I purchased it 3wks ago, dont know the history to it. With plugs out, and load tested battery, I was able to get the starboard motor to turn and expel all the water, port side motor, little different. I was unable to get the motor to turn, with depress'n the start/stop. I figured it was the relay, so I "jumped it, with plugs out, to expel the water.
Speculating, I needed a relay, I ordered one, in which arrived a week later. I in stalled it, and then, hit start/stop and wham, motor turned. Do to poor weather, was unable to give the boat some attention until yesterday.
Went out there, still with plugs out, messed with starboard until all water/anything down there, was out of motor, along with cleaning/rebuild'n the carbs also. Installed plugs in starboard, and few trys, and BINGO...fired up. So, good with that motor. Focused on the port side, and depressed the button, motor turn'n, expell'n whats left. On the, believe 3rd attempt, hit button, (didnt want to keep turn'n motor more than, say 10-15 sec.), and got nothing, hit button again nothing. Let sit for few minutes, and starts to turn,trun,turn, then quits. I then, jump the relay, and she'll turn.

So, thats where i'm at. Always thought, if starter wont give, by depress'n the start/stop, but was able to turn the starter by jump'n the relay, then to me, relay was bad...thnaks

Well, it could be a bad start/stop switch. You can test that by disconnecting it and short the connector ends together...essentially bypassing the switch. If your intermittent connection continues then I'd look at the connections and make sure they're good, snug and clean. Also, what condition are the batteries? You have these components to consider: switch, battery, relay and starter. Since you mentioned it'll turn over when you short across the terminals on the relay, I'd be looking upstream of that towards the switch and any connections associated with that component.

On diagnosing electrical gremlins, it's best to go one item at a time and rule it out as the culprit. Let us know what your results are on bypassing the switch and we'll proceed from there.

Well, it could be a bad start/stop switch. You can test that by disconnecting it and short the connector ends together...essentially bypassing the switch. If your intermittent connection continues then I'd look at the connections and make sure they're good, snug and clean. Also, what condition are the batteries? You have these components to consider: switch, battery, relay and starter. Since you mentioned it'll turn over when you short across the terminals on the relay, I'd be looking upstream of that towards the switch and any connections associated with that component.

On diagnosing electrical gremlins, it's best to go one item at a time and rule it out as the culprit. Let us know what your results are on bypassing the switch and we'll proceed from there.

Think'n of what you mentioned..testing the circuit. When the motor stops turn'n, then i hit the start/stop, all I get is a tick at the relay. So, my assumption is, the button is work'n correctly, right? And for battery, turns the other motor no problem. So trial and error, problem may lye with starter?

found it...

believe I found the problem...the starter lead at terminal was broke inside the terminal cover.
Makes me think, that before you throw'n some coin for electrical parts, start with the basics...:ack:

believe I found the problem...the starter lead at terminal was broke inside the terminal cover.
Makes me think, that before you throw'n some coin for electrical parts, start with the basics...:ack:
Heck yeah - I hate it when you say - no it can't be something really simple - I know better.
Everyone knows to KIS (I leave of the last S for Stupid) Keep It Simple, but that doesn't mean we follow it:rofl:
I am guilty as charged:cheers:
Glad it was a simple fix!

Good deal and glad you found it. Electrical issues are the usually the most difficult to track down but going one item at a time helps. I had a feeling it was just a connectivity issue, it was just a matter of finding where that issue was. Let us know if you have any more problems.

Good deal and glad you found it. Electrical issues are the usually the most difficult to track down but going one item at a time helps. I had a feeling it was just a connectivity issue, it was just a matter of finding where that issue was. Let us know if you have any more problems.

Definately.....gonna put new oil in pump assy's today, finish expell'n the water, and..GET UR DOOOOOOONNNNE. Wanna rip up the ocean, b-4 crappy rain rolls in again...:ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back