Another leaky GSX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

USCG96gsx

After reading through numberous "water in hull" posts I decided to just make a post with pictures. I have a 96 GSX that runs great but brings a ton of water in while on the lake. The clamp closest to the carbon ring is lose about 1/4 inch (gap). How tight should that be, also the VTS boot is ripped. The VTS does work like a champ though. Really the only issue I have is the incoming water......Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8525.JPG
    IMG_8525.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8526.JPG
    IMG_8526.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8528.JPG
    IMG_8528.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 57
get a new VTS boot before you need a new VTS motor. I am sure water is coming from there also. with the carbon seal how much resistance do you have when pull back on the boot? It should be stiff and be a little hard to move back.

Loosen the rearmost clamp ( closest to jet pump side)that holds the carbon seal boot and slide it forward to put more tension on carbon seal and shut out the water.

One other trick when you loosen the clamp on the driveshaft bellows get a large zip tie then push the boot forward and put the zip tie behind the boot and tighten it up, then retighten the clamp, just moving the boot and retightening the clamp will not hold in the long run, the zip tie prevents it from being able to push back into its former location

That clamp, that's on the carbon ring I is far forward. Loosen ur up and slide back OFF the fat part of ring, then reclamp it. The vts boot needs replacing as well.

210.jpg
so this is the hose your talking about? What is the other metal piece in the picture and is that needed as well? Thanks

That metal piece is the thru hull adapter. You just need the rubber hose or tubing. It's very stiff. That will slide on to the existing thru hull adapter you have now. Then the bearing clamps on the other end. You might have to trim the rubber hose so the bearing sits in the right place. Grease bearing before installation with your finger. This will prevent seal damage. Then grease before each ride. Only takes a squirt. Too much and you will push the seal out.

Edit
The osd units actually stake the seals in to prevent them from being pushed out by the grease.
I have their unit in my gtx. I still only use just a squirt.

I like the bearing setup, it allows me to run the engine longer then you can with the cs. I like to flush my engine thoughly and then fog. I ride in salt water, so I like the bearing over the cs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, what he is saying. I have bought 3 of these from OSD, great units. I hate carbon seals. Very poor design. As you may know you cannot leave these skis or boats in water for long periods of time ( overnight ) it will sink. With the bearing carrier, you will no longer cavitate or have issues with water. Grease the zerk every so often with exactly 1.25 squeezes of the grease gun and you will be set! Yes I said 1.25 haha it is the perfect amount to make sure bearings are greased and a little peeks our the front of the seal as designed by OSD to indicate it is full.

Rob

That metal piece is the thru hull adapter. You just need the rubber hose or tubing. It's very stiff. That will slide on to the existing thru hull adapter you have now. Then the bearing clamps on the other end. You might have to trim the rubber hose so the bearing sits in the right place. Grease bearing before installation with your finger. This will prevent seal damage. Then grease before each ride. Only takes a squirt. Too much and you will push the seal out.

Edit
The osd units actually stake the seals in to prevent them from being pushed out by the grease.
I have their unit in my gtx. I still only use just a squirt.

I like the bearing setup, it allows me to run the engine longer then you can with the cs. I like to flush my engine thoughly and then fog. I ride in salt water, so I like the bearing over the cs.

Sometimes you lose all the grease in the pto. Pump the pro with grease utilizing the fitting on it, you can watch the shaft love back and push itself against the carbon seal. Pay attention to the boot on the PTO don't over grease it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back