Issues with 97 GSX and 98 GTI that I purchased recently

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterdog59

I moved this thread from meet and greet to appropriate forum. Hope this is ok.

97 GSX
1) Low power
2) Variable Trim issues
3) Info center gauge inoperative and water has penetrated it.
4) Speedometer inoperative.
5) Issue with steering cable.

98 GTI
1) Fuel gauge inoperative.
2) Hood strut is not holding hood open.

Looking forward to your replies.

Ed in Kennesaw
97 Seadoo GSX
98 Seadoo GTI

Duel Trailer
Report Edit
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POPPS

Well-Known Member​

Gift Upgrade
Re:the gsx,,,low power, do compression tests to start,,,trim issues,,,join the club,,,sometimes it motirifyou are lucky,,,usually it’s the module,,,hundreds of bucks,,,so just set the nozzle slightly down and be fine…re the info gauge,,,I have managed to take them apart (there are threads out there for that),,,and once the water gets in,,,it’s trapped,,,and eventually corrodes one or more of the tracers,,,if you have an electronic geek friend handy,,,that could save you HUNDREDS,,,re the speedo,,,check that the paddle wheel is there at the unit to the left of the pump,,,could just be the unit,,,re steering cable,,,sometimes water gets past the rubber gromets and the cable seizes,,,if you were able to get some some threads on the hex fitting,,,you can adjust forstraightness under the front hull..
fuel gauge,,,usually the F1 fuse,,,easy repair,,,many threads out here for that,,hood strut,,,join the club,,,try going on line to find an automotive match,,,easy install
have fun

Like Reply
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ATTACH=full]59213[/ATTACH]

Waterdog59

Member​

Thanks POPPS, for responding with all the good advice. I will do as you say. Will check compression first on the GSX. I have a new trim motor on order to replace the old rusty motor. I had the trim working for a couple days after I tapped on the motor and replaced the trim switch cover which was missing. It quit working again. Also have a used 97 GSX info gauge on order with all the wiring and connectors that is supposedly tested and checked out good. A little under $300 with shipping, not cheap. I also replaced the steering cable with another used one and it broke in the same place as original within a couple hours of use. Not sure what is causing this as neither cable was seized. I lost one of the rubber grommets after the cable broke. I have extras though as the used cables come complete. I have another used cable on order to replace it with. Will post my troubleshooting and replacement outcomes. Thanks again for your help.

VTS motor 1997.jpg

cable steered.jpg

Ed in Kennesaw
97 Seadoo GSX
98 Seadoo GTI

Duel Trailer
Report Edit Delete
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ATTACH=full]59214[/ATTACH]

Waterdog59

Member​

Compression test on GSX.
142 to 144 PSI on each cylinder.
comp1.jpgcomp2.jpg

Ed in Kennesaw
97 Seadoo GSX
98 Seadoo GTI

Duel Trailer

Attachments

• 119870.jpg
    119870.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 119870.jpg
    119870.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If the trim is going too far up or down it could put too much stress on the cable end.

Typically when the VTS goes out it is the actual module not the motor.

I would be doing a full fuel system and carb rebuild on both skis. ONLY GENUINE MIKUNI PARTS!

Thanks, mikidymac.
The previous owner recently replaced the gray fuel lines and claimed he also rebuilt the carbs with genuine Mikuni parts. He also claimed to be a certified SEADOO technician before. I have no proof of either other than he seemed honest. I have no issues with the GTI's performance as it runs smooth topping out about 48 to 50 mph. The GSX runs smooth also but the performance ain't there. It tops out at 35 mph and is slow out of the hole.
Trying to remove the old trim motor but it won't budge after removing all the nuts. Any tricks. Also is there an adjustment and specification for the trim angle

Usually the cable goes,,,happened to me TWICE RACING,,,when you try to align the pump nozzle to be true,,,which reduces the depth of the thread,,,to align the nozzle,,,you do it from under the helm,,,you loosen the 2 10mm’s,,,and rotate the large pvc hex nut,,,then,,,you will not break the cable any more,,,as I said,,,cost me 2 cables.

Had to pry the trim motor off worm gear. Replaced it with a new aftermarket motor. Old motor was stuck to the worm gear. Worm gear was a little chewed where it made contact with motor gear. It still mated up to new motor. Aftermarket casing was a little different from original. Not much clearance with new motor for top left nut as shown in picture. I cut away some of the plastic to get nut to tighten down. Also, right center nut was too close to casing to get a socket on. motor 3.jpg

Last edited:
Usually the cable goes,,,happened to me TWICE RACING,,,when you try to align the pump nozzle to be true,,,which reduces the depth of the thread,,,to align the nozzle,,,you do it from under the helm,,,you loosen the 2 10mm’s,,,and rotate the large pvc hex nut,,,then,,,you will not break the cable any more,,,as I said,,,cost me 2 cables.
Thanks POPPS, I will try that way to adjust it. I know the nut you are talking about. Tough to see in there though. LOL.

Replaced the rubber boot on the trim sliding block with a new one. Trim is working again. I do notice a clicking noise when at the peak of trimming up before it shuts off. Probably the damage I noticed to the worm gear mating surface with the motor gear. May need to replace worm gear later. boot 6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back