97 GSX 787 - Starter Relay/ Soleniod Clicks

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

BRPMainer

Hello everyone, first post here, and i apologize in advance that its a long one.

(Summary): -If everything is 100% perfect voltage wise and the solenoid jump trick doesnt work, can I deduce I have bad starter?
-If I find out my DESS post is testing badly, do I need to reprogram the MPEM when I get a replacement?

Helping a friend with his 97 GSX. Seller told him it just needs and ignition coil and it will fire up. Replaced the coil for him and now (unrelated) the solenoid clicks and theres no audible beep from the MPEM. I think my #1 issue right off the bat is that im using a jumper pack with loose connections to the leads,. First order of business is a brand new battery, wire brushing the pos/neg leads, applying dielectric grease and making sure everything is very tight. Going to try to find someone to load test the battery for me before installation to make sure i didnt get a dud from the parts store. After verifying i have atleast 12.25+ volts with a multimeter, I will try the solenoid jump trick with a screwdriver. The original solenoid clicked, so I replaced it with a pristine looking (but not tested) solenoid from a 99 GTX 951 that was for parts only. I plan on testing this new solenoid with seadoo's methodology mentioned by Djredman99 from this post in 2010

98 Seadoo SPX (787) wont start *clicks* .
If the solenoid jump trick still doesnt work after my battery is brand new, my 15amp fuse in the rear ebox tests for good continuity, and my relay/solenoid also passes tests and is verifed to be good, can I deduce the starter is bad in this ski? I plan on removing it from the machine anyway and doing the old fashioned jumper cable trick. As far as the audible beep and dash not lighting up, I plan on inspencting the fuses in the MPEM, and also checking for DESS post for open circuit with key off, and close to 0 ohms with key on. Last and final question, am I going to need to pay a dealer with BUDS or something similar to reflash the MPEM if I do end up replacing the DESS post?

Do not use a jump pack ever.

Go through the test first then we can go from there.

Be very careful with that MPEM as it’s a 1 year model and getting really rare and expensive.

Do not use a jump pack ever.

Go through the test first then we can go from there.

Be very careful with that MPEM as it’s a 1 year model and getting really rare and expensive.
I was able to confirm the starter is junk. Went through all components with a multimeter everything checked out. Went and removed the starter from the ski and saw that it was filled with water and corrosion and lot of nasty stuff. Tried to hot wire it the old fashioned way and it didn't do a thing. I think the previous owner flooded the ski and water gained entry to the flywheel housing via the oil pump or it worked its way past the starter. Either way I've got to get the engine pulled and do some more investigating... Praying the crank case isn't full of the same watery sludge. Right now im currently dealing with the metal collar that covers the c-clip on the driveshaft (PN#272000064) , thing is seized on there like no tomorrow.

Wanted to add that the Key is being recognized by the MPEM, and the DESS post tested out to be good. The Gauges all work properly, just no beeper what so ever. Going to continue the investigation.

1997 GTX 787 Maybe some on this thread can explain something to me. Why am I getting a direct path to ground from the mpem yellow and red stripe wire to my starter relay? The +wire is the the signal wire from the mpem to the starter relay. The other side of the relay/contact coil is grounded. I replaced the starter relay thinking this would solve my problem but I keep popping 5 amp fuses. When I measured the resistance on the old/oem relay I’m getting about 6 ohms of resistance, with the new one I’m getting 3 ohms. Could this be my problem. Or is this normal in a deenergized circuit?
Also the problem gos away when I pull the plug out of the relay. Maybe the plug/pigtail is bad?

Back