Alarm keeps going off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Put boat in today for the first time this year and got both engines running (1998 Sportster) but after running for a minute or 2, the alarm would go off. Tank is full of gas and oil is also full, felt around motor and it wasn't hot at all, also cranked each engine and ran by itself and alarm came on with both times. What else can cause this? I cut it off immediately after alarm started.

Frances, I have a feeling it is the temp. sensor on the cylinder head. You can check the temp sensor by removing it and using a multi meter to see if you have continuity from the connector plug on top to the bottom. If you have continuity when it is cold, the sensor is bad. If you have no continuity you can test it by putting it in a pan of water and bring the temp up to about 205*f. Carefully, wearing gloves or a pot holder check to see if you have continuity from top to bottom. The sensor is just a heat sensitive switch that makes contact as the switch expands to complete a circuit in the sensor, causing the switch to allow ground to the cylinder head.
If you touch or ground the brown wire to the cylinder head it will cause the beeper to sound too, kinda like the temp sensor does when it gets hot from being over heated as if you had a cooling problem. It sounds like it is the sensor that is bad. You don't want to run it, and chance a over heat condition. I hope this explains the heat sensor and it solves your problem.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back