2005 SeaDoo 205se Utopia with 240 - solid alarm after idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugboat62

I just bought this boat (in May) and have had a persistent problem if i idle it (to get out canals to river) after about 20 minutes it will sound a constant alarm (like overheating) but the head temp is never above 135 degrees and exhaust manifolds are around 120. The engine will not let itself run on full throttle (since the alarm comes on), I will idle it back to the boat ramp and the alarm never goes off and the engine will cutoff after a while. Then I let it sit a few minutes and have to jump start it and it will limp along (with alarm and reduced throttle) for while longer.

I have found that If I recharge the battery, I can go to a ramp on the river and open it up (after leaving ramp) and it will run for a couple hours without any issues. Once I go back to idle it does the same thing with alarm and reduced idle. I was thinking it is a alrernator problem and just replaced it with no luck. I also know that i don't have a temp sensor on the port side of the block (reading that might be the issue) and I assume they stopped using them in 2005.

Any help would be appreciated!

i dont know how to pull codes? Does it work with an odb2 adapter? I am new to merc engines. Would like to get the M2 operator manual. Let me know what else i need.

Update - i topped off the oil res and charged battery. Started it up and now water does not come out of the small hole on deck and i actually do have starboard head overheating. It was reading like 190 and port was under 120.

In my 2007 Speedster codes show right on the dash. If not, I would consider mechanic who can see it on his laptop. In my case mechanic showed me readings of all sensors. It costed me $150.

i dont know how to pull codes? Does it work with an odb2 adapter? I am new to merc engines. Would like to get the M2 operator manual. Let me know what else i need.

Update - i topped off the oil res and charged battery. Started it up and now water does not come out of the small hole on deck and i actually do have starboard head overheating. It was reading like 190 and port was under 120.
Are you running on a hose? You may not have enough pressure. There is a lot of water wasted back thru the pump.

OR bugs may have made a nest in the pee hole and plugged it.
This could cost you a melted piston.

Hats off to Tim75. Go back to the basics. :) Seems like something (mud daubers) crawled into the port and plugged it up. cleaned it out started it up and water is coming out. Ran it for a half hour and no alarm! head temps by each cylinder were running beween 109 and 116 degree's. I am happy to see that! I will take it out for a test run on Saturday.

Still interested in know how to pull codes and getting my hands on a M2 Op manual.

Thanks all!

Glad you solved you problem. Might I suggest the Diacom Marine. Use this link to check out the product, Rinda Technologies Inc. Marine and Industrial Engine Diagnostic Tools. The company makes diagnostic software that loads on a Windows based PC and also has a dongle for Mercury engines. I purchased the software and bought the dongles for Volvo Penta and Mercury Outboard (Utopia 205 with Optimax 250). It will set you back about $500 but is invaluable. A Mercury Marine mechanic will charge approximately $250 for the hook up. At that price using it 2 times is a break even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back