Aftermarket XPL Racer Modded for Rec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's first night in the hanger. I stopped by the sign shop and ordered plain black reg #'s today.

I dunked it yesterday. The thing is so front end heavy it plows through the water at an idle. I stopped a couple times to make sure I didn't have 20 gallons of water up there cause that's what it feels like. It jumps up when you gas it but I have to lean way back in a no wake zone to feel OK. I guess that's the weight of the twin pipes, the huge splash guard plowing, and the lack of seat weight in the rear.

It ran horrible and then quit. I had the foresight to make my wife go with me so she was right there to tow me in. It was acting like it was running on one cylinder but then it would sporadically kick in. When it did kick in there was huge power that made the hull feel light. It stalled at idle a couple times and did not try to start when pushing the button after the second time.

I was like "that's it, I'm swapping everything over to normal XPL electrics" but then it hit me yesterday evening.... I used that 96 grey box and it's got that darn 96 regulator/rectifier in it messing with me. I'll figure out why it won't start and when I get it to I'll check voltage at an idle. I suspect it will be high so then another test with a good regulator will be in order.

I admit I love this ski but I'm REALLY interested in the good times racing carbon XP

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I rejetted the carbs on the low side and opened the HS needles up further. I have not dunked it yet to see if that is gonna fix my bogging. I think it may because I could work the primer before and get it to jump up.

The Candoo is great. The box is sealed and can read through the deck of the hull. It comes with a magnet that you use to calibrate it, very easy. The original paddle wheel is not used at all so any ski can have a GPS speedo with their device and a speedo. I will not hesitate to buy more for my other builds.

Awesome on both accounts ...I plan on updating my challenger 1800 and a few of my skies with the candoo GPS speedo ....but cant wait to see how your nasty Wasp runs once the bugs are worked out keep us posted

I dunked the ski Saturday and the larger low speed jets hit the spot. The ski jumped right up from an idle every time and pulled hard from anywhere in the throttle range. I had a RAVE work it's way loose (must have forgot to tighten it?) but there was a "ping". I played with the timing back and forth and it ran best with full 4 degree retard but I could still hear it pinging so I stayed under 5 grand on the tach. I'm gonna try to run it off a MSD Enhanser next.

It's an odd ride for a X4 guy. It throws a huge splash to either side as your cruising along so it would be tough riding next to folks without splashing them. Maybe it will grow on me.

I swapped the ignition over from 96XP with Advent ignition to a "stand alone" MSD Enhanser setup. I was able to use the same E-box and did not have to alter any wires on the outside of the box. I read old posts with 951 Enhanser timing settings so I have a pretty good starting point. This way I will have a lot better handle on where the timing is at so I can keep my new engine from eating itself (fingers crossed).

There was a lot more going on in this one....

Things are much simpler now, just Enhanser 4255 and regulator.....

I could get it to run fantastic in every rpm range but I could not keep the temps down. It was running over 1100 degrees just cruising around. I'm gonna have to give up on the twin pipes I just can't find a way to use them with pump gas.

My thoughts now are to use a white pipe and manifold. I have a 97.5 MPEM also. We will see, not sure yet.

Time to check in, I've been working. I painted one of my white pipes black that had the welch plugs welded and stuck it on there. I added a electronically controlled water injection system to the underside of the pipe. I kept the dual cooling system so I fed all but one of the billet bypass fittings.

I ran it off the Enhanser but could never feel good about where my timing was. So I finally broke out the 97.5 GSX MPEM that was designed to work with the white pipe. Honestly it was more of a pain then I figured. I did not have the wiring from a 97.5 so I had to study the diagram and make one by swapping all the pins in the plugs around.

Now it's done and I'll fell good about WOT. Check out this bonus.... an actual place to put something! With the twin pipes the storage bucket has to be cut. I put a new seal on it top and bottom so I'm ready for waves if they flare up.

Rippin! Mpem you got from me? Glad it's working assuming it's working for you. Running yet? This mpem swapping is news to me. I should be fine with my white pipe assuming I'm not modifying water injection? I still have the ski if you need any other wiring. Otherwise it's going in the trash at the end of the month. I'm moving and don't have room. Lmk

Yes it runs good and all my gauges work. A water ride will be the true test though.

The water injection is just supposed to help it pull harder through the low and mid range. A white pipe does not require the MPEM be changed either. I just know that my timing is in a safe range because with those aftermarket ignitions it could be anywhere.

Gotcha. I'll be giving you a holler in the future for some parts for my build. Probably be winter or longer before I get to it. So much going on.

Welcome aboard Krispy.

I've been working on pumps this week. I had what I thought was a really cool version of a Skat Trak 12 vane pump but in plastic. Turns out it is an early 4-Tec pump. The two-stroke wear ring is too short and the drive shaft is too short. I'd still like to adapt the 12 vane to fit but for now I had to retreat and put my Solas 15/20 Concord in a normal brass pump.

wow, very very awesome build. If you still have those twin pipes I'll make you an offer as I'm doing a build too and like yourself I have an affliction for going down the rabbit hole. Well done, I'd love to see a video or two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back