Aftermarket XPL Racer Modded for Rec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget to polish up those twins before final assembly [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't forget to polish up those twins before final assembly [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Heck I was hoping for some super clean on the styro in there to make it white. :biggrinjester:

I know, I know, it's go fast and not look pretty but I want to have my cake and eat it too.

It was a busy day at work today and I could not get a moment to really flow with it. I did make some advances on the electrical. I'm going to use my one spot for the 96 XP grey box and I'm using the old rave solenoid mount to attach the coil and starter solenoid to. Here is what is heading toward the grey box and gauges.

Here is a clean look at the pipes pinned down

A look inside the grey box. I replaced the six wires that go to the mag cover with a longer one from a 96GSX so it reaches better.

Here is my "black box". Everything is greased and sealed. I have not routed the wires yet. There are three fused 12v power leads instead of the two normally found in a rear Ebox because one will feed the Advent ignition.

Yes I'm close on wiring there are just about five or six wires left before I test the system. I glued in the base plate for the grey box so it will be dry in the morning. If I nailed the electrical the first time I can move into carbs and water lines. After that it's just routing everything and putting the seat back on. I'm very excited, it's been registered for two years even though it's just been an empty hull sitting there getting dirtier. I have family coming this weekend so I might not get it done until next week.

I think I had all the wiring right but I'll never know because I got the last two wrong. I smoked the Advent and blew the 5amp fuse on the MPEM. Luckily the gauges still work. I even pulled the front pipe and the mag cover off to try and figure out why the bendix was not kicking in :facepalm:.

A member is helping me out by giving me a deal on another Advent.

Well I'm constantly getting distracted by my actual job but that's no excuse. I will just do everything else so I'm ready when the other ignition gets here at the end of the week.

I own a tree service and maintain my own equipment. I work on the skis when everything else is going well.

Man I can't believe I missed this one! Looking good man, love the twin pipes. Did the alignment tool I leant you not work? I was a little scatter brained before I deployed, maybe I forgot to give you all the pieces

I bought myself a tool so I can do the 155mm. We will get yours back together when you come over. Still need electrical help? As you can see I'm on a roll haha.

Lol yeah its still stumping me, I'm available anytime next two weeks Mostly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No worries everyone I sent the new box out today Mat should have it Friday ....Stay tuned !!!!!!

Looking forward to it, thank you. Since the MPEM blew the 5amp fuse and was not the part that smelled like hot tar and burnt gear oil I'll give it another try. If she won't do it her sister will.

Today I kept moving along. My VTS did not work. I ended up having a bad wire, bad housing and a bad switch. Now it's sweet, sealed and silent though and the minty gauge reads it perfectly.

I put the nozzles on, the seat back on, scrubbed off old sticker residue, etc. There are many improvement possibilities like aftermarket carbs and the Skat Trak pump and nozzles but I'm really curious to see how it will perform with this setup.

OK so I don't think my original wiring would have worked. I wired the new Advent in but things are not working. I was able to program a key to the MPEM but when I put the key on I get 4 beeps (after the initial two). This means the CDI cannot communicate with the MPEM which makes perfect sense because I took the CDI out of the system. I was trying to treat it like the MSD Enhanser and replace the CDI with the Advent. I think that's where I went wrong. The Advent normally wires into the newer black flat MPEMs and they have the CDI built in.

At least I didn't fry anything this time lol. When I get back to it next time with an hour or more it should be "braaaaap!!"

If I can't get the 96 MPEM to work with the Advent then I can go another direction or two. I can put a dual coil cup on the flywheel and run a 99XPL MPEM with a Micro Touch ignition box that will allow me to adjust the timing curve. I could also keep the single coil cup and run a 97.5 GSX MPEM and use a 97 MT rev limiter that will let me retard the timing a little at WOT. Or I could just man up and buy the MSD Enhanser 4255 that is adjustable and would run the boat on it's own ($380).

That's a hard price to man up on! Hope you get it figured out, I'm still slobbering over that sexy seat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It lives! (Braap!)

Now I just need to play with timing, make little adjustments, look for leaks, etc. The front cylinder was hotter then the rear at idle so I need to shorten the linkage between the carbs a little. It sounded good but racy and volatile. I guess it sounds like it looks.... like a giant pissed off wasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back