A little oil leak top of oil filter around hex bolt

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mdunyak

2007 RXT 215. Just bought it to match the one I already had. Saw there was oil leaking near top of filter around the hex bolt. Changed the oil just to be safe and to check the gaskets around that filter. It also seemed a bit overserviced on oil. Come to find out one of the gaskets (the top one that seals inside the filter housing, not the one that is seated in the groove) was missing. Changed all three gaskets and put in a new oil filter. Oil still leaking out of top of filter cap around the hex bolt. My next step is to just order a new bolt and see if that alleviates the problem. Anyone seen this before?

Maybe the nut on the bolt is not up enough to put pressure on the O ring that goes between the bolt and the cap so the cover is always loose , it needs to be adjusted and using loctite to hold it in place.

Maybe the nut on the bolt is not up enough to put pressure on the O ring that goes between the bolt and the cap so the cover is always loose , it needs to be adjusted and using loctite to hold it in place.
Thanks. Wish that was the case...In the '07 there is not a bolt 1688236763433.pngat the bottom (see pic) so I'm somewhat at a loss. Could be the cap itself. Maybe a nick in the actual cap around where the bolt seats that's allowing some oil to get through. Frustrating design IMO. Wish it was just an enclosed cap.

If the bolt is out of the cap , screw it into the housing and see if it goes all the way down , maybe something is holding it up or it's the wrong bolt or wrong cap???

If I understand your original post correctly the o-ring was missing. If so the sealing surface (where o-ring contacts) might be scratch or damaged otherwise. It might be worth looking at these critical surfaces and polishing them if damaged. It also helps to apply some lubricant to o-ring prior to assembly.

Could try an o-ring with different thickness. O-rings can be custom sized or the more common dash sizing. It depends if yours is being over or under compressed. Neither situation is good.

Parker has a very insightful o-ring design handbook if you really want to investigate.

Good luck

I would check that the bolt will seat (by itself) as mentioned. Then replace the cap along with all new oem Sea-Doo seals/ o-rings. Check for a proper fit and TORQUE the retainer bolt. Likely damaged by repeated overtightening. This is the most common problem that I have seen with any machinery that is serviced by DIYers. NOT a slight in any way... just a factual statement.

I once had a situation, similar, oil filter would not seat because the previous oil filter ring was still at the bottom of the cavity..just a thot.

Back