99 GTX-RFI Thinking of buying, Pros, Cons, Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

Found a pair of 99 GTX-RFI's for sale, Ad is as follows:

Two three-seater, GTX-RFI, 782 cc Seadoo jet skis, . Both have had computers replaced in 2012 (M.E.D.s SD-67119, $716 each), wear-rings replaced, fuel lines and fuel pumps replaced, and other replacements over the last three years. Both are in excellent physical condition and have not been left out in sun. One runs but the other still needs some work--it does start but may need a fuel injector. Includes double trailer.
They look great in the pictures cosmetically.
All my other skis have been carberated so this would be my 1st experience with fuel injection.
Pros, Cons, Thoughts, Suggestions?
I will do the obvious compression test, water test, check fuel lines, etc. Anything else?
Any opinions on the issue with the one that still needs work? Seller says it starts fine, when you hit the throttle it takes off then just dies.

Thanks in advance.

If these are your first skis I might would try and find a carbed ski. Not as bad as the DI but the rfi can be a pain. They are great when running right but will drive you insane when thy are not. They are harder to trouble shoot and parts tend to get expensive. You will need the scanner tool or be close to a dealer that does have one.

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Sorry just re read your post and saw you have experience with carb skis. The Rfi skis are a different animal and one needing works would kinda shy me away. It could be a simple fix or you could pull your hair out trying to find the issue

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I am going into them priced as 1 running ski and the other as a parts ski. Hoping the 2nd one is an easy fix but not holding my breath.
Running ski $1500
Parts ski $750
Trailer $250
$2500 total, sound about right?

i.m lucky to still have hair, lol! i had an gsx rfi just about everything new in including engine and wasted 1 1/2 summers trying to troubleshoot very hard start in the water but ran great once running. while the rfi is a great concept, they are ultra finicky and must be perfect! ive searched all over the internet as well as sought help on the forums. i even bought a candoo scan tool! you need to ask yourself , why is the seller selling? not trying to rain on your parade, but their may be a risk. there are those that have great luck with them and some not so lucky.

the plus side is that you will have 2 ski's and use one as a donor for parts swaps a to get one running right. do a compression test is a must and see if you can test drive the running one and see if it restarts in the water after a test run. that is key if it starts and runs on the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going into them priced as 1 running ski and the other as a parts ski. Hoping the 2nd one is an easy fix but not holding my breath.
Running ski $1500
Parts ski $750
Trailer $250
$2500 total, sound about right?

I'd price a parts ski somewhere in the 3-400 range max, (I usually pay $200 max unless i'm positive that the MPEM is good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back