97 xp well modded and wont faster go than 50mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

masta2000

i just got my 97 seadoo xp 800 completely rebuilt from the crank -> up.
here are the mods done to it:

pistons are 0.75 oversize.
k&n flame arrestor with twin 44mm mikuni flatside carbs jetted and tuned.
ported intake with oil injection delete.
stage 2 factory pipe ( header and pipe)
microtouch rev limiter with retard timing option
skat trak super slim 17/26 impeller (top speed) and R&D ride plate ( +1mph)
new wear ring and pump oil.

the machine starts up great and runs great. holeshot is not that good and top speed is disgraceful. machine is in perfect condition both engine and hull. i just finished 10 hours of break in and am quite disappointed.
i am looking to get 60mph +
i tried different arrangements with the rave valves and is always the same. midrange torque is sick but no bottom and top speed
does anyone know how fast this setup should be? and what can i do to get her going fast.

You left out a lot of information if you would like some help....what is the timing set at? What did you do to the carbs? What do the spark plugs look like after a reading at different rpms? What compression is the engine running now? What premix ratio and oil are you running? If you start modding out your seadoo, you won't gain much unless you follow through with addition tuning to get the max allowed. Then you have to keep on top of it, based on tempature and barametric pressure changes. When I raced competition, on stand up Kawasaki's they got tuned at almost most at every ride based on tempature and barametric pressure...I also had to use 105 octane fuel with a octane booster for peak performance. I had to tear it down and rebuild the top end every 10 heats of competition so it was in peak condition....Good thing for sponsorships...Moding is fun and real expensive just to keep up with the maintenance.

Karl

i would consider myself pretty good with mechanics but there are a few things you listed that i havent got into yet. such as barometric pressure and such.
the carbs are jetted the same at 123 low and 130 high
the timing i havent touched since the rebuild, so it is at stock. should i advance or should i retard? i am running 91oct and 45/1 premix.
i tuned the carbs myself with high and low screw and i now have the machine running great.
i also didnt bother plugging the exhaust water injector.
like i said before, the machine is running great just no top end. the machine goes faster stock. am i missing something here?

Advance the timing about 2 degrees with a dial indicator. 40:1 might a little better premix. Your compression is what, and what is the peak rpm's and plug readings...?

Karl

im gonna buy a tach today and tell you guys
the plugs are nice and brown, i didnt bother doing a rpm/plug reading yet. but generally good after 10 hours break-in
if i am not getting max rpm, what could therefore be the solution?

Are you sure about the carbs?? I've been riding PWC's for 25 years and I've never seen flat slide carbs on a PWC.
Post a picture of the carbs.

Chester

my mistake, they are not flatside carbs, they are 44mm suber bn mikuni.
i just bought rev limiter and it wont rev past 6400 rpm on glass.
i just inspected my rave valves and the top seal keeps blowing off. would this create a problem for top speed?

just went out, fixed rave valve top gaskets and the machine revs to 6800 rpm and goes 55mph on glass. how do i get it to rev higher? tuning is good and oil ratio is 45/1

didnt do plug chop but plug is very dark brown, almost black but not quite. i will lean it out and tell you guys tomorrow. by the way where should i set the exhaust rave valves and the waterbox valve?
also crazy question but when i installed the pipe the was some thick carbon deposit inside the pipe. should i clean it to get better performance? i really dont want to have to :ack:

also since i am running premix, should i disconnect completely the oil injection? it is not connected but i set it really low to get oil on rotary valve. am i being too careful because premix gets there anyway?

the rotory will get lubed by the mixed gas, so will the crank assy. If premixed, then you shouldnt be running any oil, besides the 2-big lines to/from the case.

With that, dont lean out, plug the oil injection completely, keep mix'n at 45/1, and see what happens, then mess with adjustments/jets.

timmyboy you were right
i leaned it out and got right up to 7000rpm.
but i had to screw in all the way, i rejetted down from 127 to 115 on the high speed.
thanks for advice on oil pump.
will try it tomorrow with new jets. by the way it goes 60mph at 7000rpm but will test with gps

i just got my 97 seadoo xp 800 completely rebuilt from the crank -> up.

pistons are wiseco 0.75 oversize.
k&n flame arrestor with standart twin mikuni carbs
minor ported block and intake with oil injection delete.
comp test 185psi
stage 1 factory pipe ( pipe only)
skat trak swirl 17/23 impeller and R&D intake grates
new wear ring
msd exchancer,,
ron 97 gas with 1/50 premix

im a newbie here,, hope all sifuu can give me tips for tune this engine, expacialy jetting and msd ignition,,

(sorryfor bad english,,)

just got my 97 seadoo xp 800 completely rebuilt from the crank -> up.

comp test 185psi
new wear ring
msd exchancer,,

im a newbie here,, hope all sifuu can give me tips for tune this engine, expacialy jetting and msd ignition,,

(sorryfor bad english,,)

Main jet : 150 on front (Mag)carb, 152.5 on rear (PTO) carb
Pilot Jet : 70 (stock)
High speed screw : 2 turn out from closed on front(Mag) carb, 1 turn out on rear (PTO) carb
Low speed screw : 1-2 turns out from closed
Needle & Seat : 1.5 (stock)
Spring : 65 gram (stock)

these are the specs given away at the facory pipe .com website. since you are still using stock carbs you can mirror this setup, the only thing i would try is going a little richer since you did a 0.75 oversize you will need more fuel.
in other words unscrew high speed screw one half to a full turn on both carbs and dont bother with low speed screw so much if machine idles fine.

and you mentioned the MSD sparker. i assume you are talking about the timing? most professionals use the stock timing.

Main jet : 150 on front (Mag)carb, 152.5 on rear (PTO) carb
Pilot Jet : 70 (stock)
High speed screw : 2 turn out from closed on front(Mag) carb, 1 turn out on rear (PTO) carb
Low speed screw : 1-2 turns out from closed
Needle & Seat : 1.5 (stock)
Spring : 65 gram (stock)

these are the specs given away at the facory pipe .com website. since you are still using stock carbs you can mirror this setup, the only thing i would try is going a little richer since you did a 0.75 oversize you will need more fuel.
in other words unscrew high speed screw one half to a full turn on both carbs and dont bother with low speed screw so much if machine idles fine.

and you mentioned the MSD sparker. i assume you are talking about the timing? most professionals use the stock timing.
why main jet front andd rear not same??

and you mentioned the MSD sparker. i assume you are talking about the timing? most professionals use the stock timing.[/QUOTE]

im only use echancer msd not total lost msd,,

just got my 97 seadoo spx 800 completely rebuilt from the crank -> up.

comp test 185psi
new wear ring
msd exchancer,,

im a newbie here,, hope all sifuu can give me tips for tune this engine, expacialy jetting and msd ignition,

sorry wrong info about model,, newbie here,, not know lot about ski model:rofl::rofl:

if its an 800, its the same engine.
as for the msd, its all good.

i dont know the reason for the different jets for mag and pto carb, but from what i understand the rear cylinder runs slightly leaner, so they go bigger on the jet.

With the factory pipe spec I on the 800 you must run different jet size on the PTO and MAG. Factory Pipe lists the jets for the pipe on a stck setup but I would call them and see what they suggest for your list of mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back