96 XP Resto With Mods

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reached out to the guy I bought it from and he said I won't need the inlet on the water box because I can just hard jet the stinger on the exhaust pipe. I'll have to still see if it all fits though.

Does that sound like a viable option or should I consider reaching out to trd to see if it can be tapped for an inlet and perhaps length shortened? I'll mock it up once I get the factory parts off her.

Yes it should stay cool enough with water being fed to the stinger.

Awesome, thanks Matt! I looked at the TRD water box and if its too long of a neck I can definitely shorten it without issues after taking a peak inside of it. This is assuming removing a few inches of length wont effect anything.

Here are some parts that showed up today/the last couple of days. Big shout out to Matt for responding to a million text and supplying my ski with many, many parts!

More to come but here is some eye candy! That paint stick I was just tinkering with the duplicolor metal cast yellow & purple. I am thinking of leaving the bars black and doing some of the accents in gold/yellow such as the umi finger throttle etc. The three button holder not pictured but that has also arrived!

Edit: Ill fix the pictures later. I did rotate them in my album but for some reason the display link still shows them upside down. Blame it on Siri.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know off hand if there is a larger fuel tank that will fit this hull without modification and/or how much of a size increase it will provide? The fuel tank seems rather small compared to that in my GTX and I was just curious if there was a larger tank that could fit and/or if its worth the hassle. I remember seeing it mentioned in a thread at some point but don't recall what the pro's and con's were to the setup. Its pretty snug inside this hull already. Removing things tends to require some creative tool combinations and a limber body LOL

One of the older GTX tanks will fit but I am not sure what one. I you get a few more gallons and the extra weight helps too.

Hey guys, more parts on the way and did some minor paint work today, nothing much but figured id share.

I wanted to also ask if I should consider ditching the oem oil pump? I planned on raising the rev limiter and am looking at water injection as well and with that being said wasn't sure at what point I need to go straight to pre-mix to avoid any issues. I know despite the limiter the engine will only turn what it turns but per pipe recommendation wanted to increase the limiter to get the most out of the setup. I plan to run the stock carbs, maybe add a high flow fuel pump if needed.

If i do ditch the oil pump and switch to premix its not the worst thing because I can switch the oil pump over to the GTX and put that back on a standard setup and save myself a few bucks buying a pump for that ski.

I will start working on my hood tomorrow. I have a single gauge hood that will be stripped, sanded and painted & then vinyl wrapped. I know its probably more work than usual to just cover up the paint with vinyl but I wanted the option of both and also wanted to get rid of the black top and teal bottom of it. I am kind of OCD like that lol.

Anywho here are some pics. I really love this paint. Everything is super smooth and the color really pops. I am still considering a different color since its a yellow ski but I kind of like the gold+black+carbon fiber approach so we shall see! I know the purple reeallly pops but I have always been a sucker for gold and black. I may even wrap some of these pieces still but cant decide until the new steering setup arrives and is installed :)

Paint used
-adhesion promoter
-metal etching primer
-duplicolor metal cast base
-duplicolor metal cast yellow

*Note if what you are painting is not 100% shiny and smooth it will show by just using the adhesion promoter and color. Even small machining marks show but still looks really smooth. If you are doing something with scratches etc I would use a metal etching primer, then base coat, then color, then clear. I used this method for the umi throttle and it masked some very small knicks/scratches.

Man that is sick!!

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I put everything together today "loosely" until my steering setup shows up etc. I am only running 1 washer on the umi throttle due to the added thickness from painting but I might try to find some thinner ones to run one on both sides. I also am looking for the threaded adaptor piece for the umi. Its managed to walk itself off my table but I am sure it will turn up. I am going to get the pad replaced when I order my seat covers. Probably a cf to match the seat cover, maybe SeaDoo written in yellow on it, we shall see. I am really happy with the way the paint turned out and it feels pretty tuff so I may end up using this color on some of the motor stuff as well.

Wasn't their a recall on the 96 xp gas tanks? Is that still something they are doing or is that long over with? Is there a way to tell between the tank differences? Just curious while I have this thing apart. Planning on cleaning the tank inside and out either way to clean her up.

Yes, the recall is still active. You have to call either Bombardier or the dealer and give them your VIN.

Not much new but did have some more parts show up with more on the way! Took a few quick pics with everything loosely setup. I was planning on going only doing black/gold yellowish like the rest but the purple is in such good condition and pops so I think it will stay. Perhaps I can tie the purple in with the exhaust outlet or steering/nozzle setup. Few pics of tinkering with some CF vinyl and clear/epoxy. The epoxy was a bust as figured but clearing added some depth and gloss to it. Have a few different brand samples on the way and 5 sets of 4xbulb overhead lights to get this garage workable ASAP. Ignore the empty workbench lol, I am still moving in/moving tools over while also fixing house issues which is why its been so slow coming. Trying to balance a little each week until the garage is done and organized.

I spoke w/Mike @ PWC Graphics and should have something on order soon. Just going with a standard CF/black theme graphics. Nothing crazy just the XP logo in CF, seadoo for the bottom hull and center console area. And a special tribute logo for the rear.

Anywho here are some parts pics. The cf vinyl w/clear is just a sample of 1-2-3 coats.

Alright so its been a while since I updated this and not much has happened besides ordering more parts. I have been swamped with house rehab & setting up the garage. With that being said I am going to cut out some of these mods for the time being so I can enjoy the ski this summer without tons of tinkering and build the ski I want from the ground up. I have a 96xp hull + title being shipped that I will be eventually moving everything over after the gel work etc but for the time being just want to get this ski running & enjoyable for summer.

With that being said I will be installing the following parts

Handling/Steering:
R&D Steering
Blowsion handle bar
Three button holder
Umi Finger throttle
Beach House Sponsons
R&D Trim Tabs

Pump:
Skat Magnum 12 vein pump “need shaft/19.25?”
16/21 Impeller is current impeller might want a 16/23 - Thoughts?
WestCoast Nozzle w/Insert 85mm
Jet Dynamics #6 intake grate
Need Steering nozzle > Still researching size and brand to go with

Cosmetic:
Single Gauge hood w/CF vinyl wrap until the real CF hood is finished
VTS Speed wheel blockoff
Aluminum Fuel Selector
Jet trim Seat
Hydroturf

Monitoring:
Koso EGT Gauge *needs mount*
TinyTach RPM gauge *needs mount*
Candoo Pro GPS
Bilge switch+Pump+Outlet

With the setup mentioned above I am hoping to keep it reliable for the summer. It will stay on oil injection and when I have the time or finish working on the new hull I have the following parts ready to go to really make this thing a screamer! The new hull will be getting lots of TLC including a color change!

Motor:
WestCoast Head w/43mm Domes
Buckshot 44mm Carbs
Buckshot 44mm Intake
PSI Pipe
TRD Water Box
Air filters? Ocean Pro? Fly>pending decision & ordering
Microtouch ecwi
msd enhancer/rev limiter/microtouch "haven't purchased yet"

If my free time opens up or house projects finally swing my way I will considering doing the full motor setup but for now I figured those mods will hold me over and keep it reliable without having to rejet the carbs or deal with any tuning until the motor mods go on. Its a tuff decision because I hate doing things twice but ultimately I have another hull on the way that I can start on & really start this build from the ground up the way I want without not being able to enjoy the XP over summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back