96 XP Resto With Mods

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally took the plunge and pulled the trigger on a local 96 XP w/double trailer. This will also be holding my 97 gtx. With all your help last year I restored my 97 gtx and this year it will be the 96 xp but this time around I want to do more mods and really wake up this 787! Being a noob to mods I am hoping to bounce questions and get some opinions on part choices and such.

My goal is to have a solid ski that will run pump gas, wont require constant tinkering and be a nice wave jumper. This will be mostly lake driven with some river time on her as well. Not super concerned about a high top speed but want to make her quick out of the hole.

Here she is, the top was buffed before purchase but I will be stripping the rest of the graphics and finishing up the hull. This will be a SLOW build because I am still moving parts/tools/house projects at the new place. You know how that goes lol!

Anywho here are some pics and some pics and some of parts on order.

Parts ordered thus far:

-WestCoast Head "43cc domes"
-PSI pipe
-TRD Water Pipe
-Blowsion Handle bars
-Umi finger throttle
-ODI Grips
-3 button holder
-single gauge hood
-solas 15/23 impeller "this was from my gtx, considering swapping it over to the XP and putting the gtx stock imp back in"
-aluminum fuel selector knob

What I will still need off hand:
-orings for pump
-seal for pump
-misc hoses
-fuel selector
-misc fuel lines
-intake grate "jet dynamics most likely"
-flame arrestor "not sure what brand"
-nozzles "not sure what size"
-hydro turf
-seat cover
-sponsons
-trim tabs
-rev limiter
-inspect carbs and re-jet
-egt gauge

I think for the color scheme of the ski will be yellow with carbon fiber accents. I am thinking the hood, grab handle and some decals will be a CF/black theme. Then the trim accents a nice anodized style "duplicolor metalcast" gold. The engine I will probably just do black/blue to match the head. Considered a nice purple/black but hate to paint a fresh WC head like that lol.

This will be a slow build as stated but I hope to get started on it shortly and post up progress along the way. A few weeks needed to get my garage in workable condition then its game time. Meanwhile just reading reading reading and collecting parts!

Anybody know what size fuel tank is stock on it? In comparison to my GTX its tiny!

Last edited by a moderator:
1st off you got that head from matt and i wanted it lol

he got that off green h, i think. I remember looking at it.

Your going to need the egt to help get things right. I know you said that you don't want a ski that requires constant tinkering but im here to tell you this thing will. When you start to bolt heads and pipes on its a new story, weather change can even make you have problems. Im also not a big fan of running the stock carbs with after market head and pipe. I would look to buy some 44's to help feed that pipe. Good luck with this. I cant wait to see what this pipe will do. I have only played around with factory spec 1 and 2. I also like that tdr water box.

I would add an EGT gauge to your list of things to get

Thanks, I got the pipe from Joseph from a facebook XP group. It should be here this week. I am not sure where he scored it from but its brand new, never ran. The TRD is used but looks pretty clean as well.

Any particular brand recommended for the egt gauge? Water proof would be a must. Plenty of room on the XP dash to mount a gauge or I have seen some guys mount it on the steering wheel brace.

I will need to research about where to tap an EGT gauge but no big deal I will search the forum.

Thanks glsmohio. Yea I got the head and a number of parts from Matt. He is pretty much a one stop shop for parts and knowledge lol! I figured it would require tinkering although in my head I was really hoping for a tinker free setup. I don't mind since I have the GTX to ride on the side as well. This will be a learning curve for sure.

Are there any particular brand carbs/flame arrestor you recommend? I know if I go aftermarket carbs most just have standard individual filters. I have seen many different style filters and some seem harder to work around than others. Just curious if there is an ideal brand to use for easier access or better performance. Its pretty cramped in these things compared to my gtx which was also cramped to work in.

As always thanks for the info!

It looks like that psi pipe uses the stock manifold, if so than there are many write ups on that. The koso egt set up on the bars is pretty rock solid.

YEA I RUN THE KOSO ON THE BARS AND IM GOING TO RUN ANOTHER SET ON MY XP BUILD I HAVE GOING ON NOW. IF YOU READ MY BUILD THREAD IT WILL SHOW YOU THE KOSO AND HOW TO SET IT UP AND HOW TO DRILL AND THE TAP AND ALL THE GOOD STUFF.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?81749-97-Seadoo-Spx-build&highlight=97+SEADOO+SPX+BUILD

Awesome, amazing build just read the entire thread from top to bottom. Funny I think on page 2 someone was talking about my gtx with the pink/green engine LOL.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I would love to go with umi as well but have some other parts lined up before it. We shall see if the budget allows for it.

I have a couple more weeks before I can pull the trigger on some more parts so for now getting some grunt work done on her. Starting to tear her down and label/bag/tag everything.

I totally understand. Your going to have a fun ski in the end. If you have any questions just ask and if I don't know I'm sure one of the guys will

I totally understand. Your going to have a fun ski in the end. If you have any questions just ask and if I don't know I'm sure one of the guys will

Thanks man! I will definitely have questions as I go once I start pulling everything off the engine.

If you happen to make more brackets for that koso egt gauge I'll buy one off ya!

Awesome, thanks! I really appreciate it!

Are there any aftermarket lines/hoses for the fuel that are clearish or tinted that wont harden and crack easily? I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere along the line but cant remember the exact brand. I know most standard clear lines turn to crap in a season.

If they will last I am considering some clear or colored lines, if not ill just stick w/standard replacement hoses for the fuel system.

I have no personal experience with it but I've read multiple posts where people say they get a few years out of it before it becomes brittle

I have no personal experience with it but I've read multiple posts where people say they get a few years out of it before it becomes brittle

All the ones I have serviced that have it are yellow ant brittle after a couple years.
I only use Gates standard black fuel hose.

Helix is the colored fuel line that's super high quality. Best stuff ever but very expensive. It's thick walled stuff that lasts for many years.

I had the same psi pipe on the XP build I did last year. When I first ran the pipe it got so hot it melted my oil and water lines behind the jugs. I would pull the water fitting out the center of the pipe and make sure there is either a small hole drilled straight down into the pipe or a jet there to cool the pipe down. I drilled a 1/16 hole and got lucky if I was to do it again I would tap it for a jet. That pipe gives the ski awesome top end.

I had the same psi pipe on the XP build I did last year. When I first ran the pipe it got so hot it melted my oil and water lines behind the jugs. I would pull the water fitting out the center of the pipe and make sure there is either a small hole drilled straight down into the pipe or a jet there to cool the pipe down. I drilled a 1/16 hole and got lucky if I was to do it again I would tap it for a jet. That pipe gives the ski awesome top end.

Ouch that's a lot of heat! I will have to take a look at that once the pipe arrives. I do plan on running a koso to keep an eye on egt's.

Anyone have some recommendations on impeller/pitch? I was planning on getting the r&d nozzles. I know its a bit early to be looking at my impeller options but I found some good deals on some solas and skat impellers just unsure what size pitch I should run with this setup.

In Solas I'd run a X1 with stock nozzles or a XO with 85/88 nozzles.
Skat swirl 16/24 16/23 .

Thanks Matt, of course none of the impellers I found good deals on are not any of those specs lol. One is a Skat slimline 15/23 for <50$ but I'll keeps my eyes peeled for the ones mentioned.

Thanks!

Anyone remember seeing a thread with a cheap pump from eBay for removing fuel from the tank? I had it saved and can't for the life of me find it.

Snagged a koso egt gauge set from ebay on the cheap cheap. I considered the version with RPM etc but it was like $250-300 and I ended up snagging a used just EGT version for $125. Its used but looked like really good condition.

My exhaust and water box show up today but I am a bit confused as to how I am going to run this. The instructions state to remove the factory water valve from the water box and install the provided fitting however I have a TRD water box that essentially has no tapped location for water. I know I am far from getting to that point of installing it at the moment but curious how to correctly install that setup to make sure its a viable configuration and/or see what else I will need to add to my list in order to make this work.

Thanks!

Snagged a koso egt gauge set from ebay on the cheap cheap. I considered the version with RPM etc but it was like $250-300 and I ended up snagging a used just EGT version for $125. Its used but looked like really good condition.

My exhaust and water box show up today but I am a bit confused as to how I am going to run this. The instructions state to remove the factory water valve from the water box and install the provided fitting however I have a TRD water box that essentially has no tapped location for water. I know I am far from getting to that point of installing it at the moment but curious how to correctly install that setup to make sure its a viable configuration and/or see what else I will need to add to my list in order to make this work.

Thanks!
That egt come from ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back