Seadoo XP 97 - Won't go over 5 mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kutta_back

Hello,

I am a total newbie to the PWC world. I was given a 97 xp as a project jet ski August 2019 and had no clue where to start until reading these forums. I began by emptying the bad gas and got a new battery. Got some new spark plugs, new gas and eventually got the thing started. The idling was not stable and cut off very frequently. I was just so ecstatic to get it to running that I took it straight to the water. Started it up and gave it full gas in hopes to take off and reached a max speed of about 5mph... So i did some research and found out it most likely is the impeller or fuel system. I checked underneath the hull after we pulled it out and there was no debris, chunks of metal missing or anything obvious from it not going faster than 5mph.

I bought an OEM Mikuni rebuild kit and new black fuel lines. I replaced all the grey lines and got the carb back on and tried to start it back up. BOOM, started up. I got the same excitement as last time, straight to the water! This time with COVID and the ramps being closed in my town was in a bit of a pickle. We ended up driving as close to the ramp as possible and picking up this this jet ski by hand off the trailer and walked it into the lake!! Got it started up and did the exact same thing as last time.

Back to doing some research and have realized this has not happened to many people online haha. But one thing I found is that failed to tune the carbs and I have possible suspicion that the rectifier could be and not causing it to rev. Although, I still need to test that possibility out. Or the key is not the correct key and need to have another one programed. Please someone help before I spend too much money on this thing!!!

Last side notes that I'm sure will be coming in the next replies and I am going to check next time I mess around with the jetski are
1. I have not done a compression test as I dont have access to one and will be buying soon.
2. The key that I was given is very disintegrated. The rubber has dried out and is basically the metal contacts only remaining.

You can rent a compression gauge from autozone. Do not use a harbor freight gauge! Does the motor rev up but not producing much thrust? Check your wear ring, may need a new one

You can rent a compression gauge from autozone. Do not use a harbor freight gauge! Does the motor rev up but not producing much thrust? Check your wear ring, may need a new one
Okay thanks for the tip! Ill do that next time. Yeah I can get it to rev all the way up but will sputter out eventually. But either way, I’m holding full throttle. I briefly checked it and it looked decent. I will do further inspecting tomorrow.

I am starting to think the driveshaft splines are stripped. Everything that I have checked so far seems like it would be fine. the impeller ring does not have enough space to create this slow of propulsion. Does anyone have any links to repairing stripped driveshaft splines? I haven't had a chance to pull the impeller off since last August because it stays at my parents house. Anyone with some help on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back