98 xp 950 water in hull.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Quick background.

I bought this machine in running condition but had low compression so I only started it on the trailer for 30 seconds to make sure it was a runner before I went into the top end. Cylinders were bored/honed, OEM oversize pistons in, all new gaskets, a little sealant on the manifold to pipe gasket, original mikuni rebuilds/needle seat/accelerator pump, old gas pulled out, all new fuel lines, fuel selector still good.

Machine started right up after the rebuild and the motor runs as it should for the first few quick test runs I have done.

The problem I'm having is water building up in the hull fast enough where I don't want to run it. The bilge pods and electric pump seem to be having a tough time keeping up.

I know I should be able to figure this out with my experience on these things, but since this is a motor and hull I have zero experience with I thought I'd ask the crew if a 98 xp limited with the 950 had any quirks/failures that would let Water in?

I have let it sit in the water, no obvious leaks.

I have run it on the trailer at the same rpm 5500 that I ran for the test runs, no water spraying from exhaust gaskets or anywhere else.

Any tricks on this machine I should know about?

Thanks.

AK

I'm assuming you ran it on the trailer in the water, right, or were you just hooked up to a hose?

3 thoughts:
Bad carbon ring
Coolant leak
Failed water regulator (I wouldn't think this would leak that much water)

If no water is collecting in the hull while on the hose, then possibly its the driveshaft seal, rubber hose its mounted in, or the hull insert that the hose clamps to. It may only leak at speed. Or maybe the sponsons... do they look like they've ever had an impact?

I'm with L!,,take the seat off,,,pto cover off,,,and slowly back it into the water,,,have a super strong flashlight with you.

The hose doesn't provide water to the carbon ring. Avoid revving out of the water as you can cause the carbon ring to overheat and fail.

Also, that means if you have a bad carbon ring or boot, you won't find it with the hose.

If you tested it in the water with the trailer, I'd check for leaks at the front of the hull and check again for drivetrain leaks. I can't imagine how you wouldn't find it if the leak is as significant as you describe.

I had a similar mystery leak on my 98 gsxl, didn't notice anything on the trailer in water but filled up when jumping. I noticed that the sealent failed in one corner of my pump shoe, in the water I could pull it back and then water poured in around one of the through hull water fittings

Got side tracked with life and won't get back to it until tomorrow.

I did find a shrew nest tucked into the pocket of the foam by the water box and found a dead one on the hull. I spent time today to pull each water line from front to rear to look for and chewed lines and found all were OK.

No carbon seal on this model, only the original carrier bearing double seal design.

I did find a number of silicon "blobs" that had come off the inside of the hull above where the ride shoe bolts are located. A possible way for water to come in. But based on the amount of water that comes in There must be enough pressure that would have blown those blobs off on it's first ride back in 98.

No damage to the hull that makes me think there is a failure.

The person I bought the machine from is my old supervisor from the shop I worked at. It came in with water damage to the pistons, low compression. SO, am I looking for a problem that flooded the hull 7 years ago and hurt the motor, mouse damage???? I like a mystery but summer isn't getting any longer and I want to ride.

Check that the large plastic hex nut that secures the exhaust hose to the hull is tight,,,had one, just once,,,

Got it.

Removed everything in the pump area and resealed with an extra shot of "right stuff".

I ran the machine for 30 minutes and didn't have any water get in. Just like on my 97 GTX the original sealant had lost it's bond with all the plastic parts. After I unbolted everything in back the parts almost fell off the machine. I used a finishing disk to remove all the old sealant, wiped everything down to remove any oil or contamination, added A BUNCH of extra sealant, bolted it all back up and set overnight. Problem fixed!20210808_125848.jpg20210808_095319.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back