97 XP shutting off...I'm outta ideas..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

true520

Ok...here is my challenge. We put the 97 XP in the water for the first run of the year, and she would run about 35 to 40 mph and then shut off...gauges would jump and hop around too.
just hit the start button and she would quickly fire right back up and run for another couple hundred yards.
We have been trying EVERYTHING...and now she has also gotten a lot worse too...will crank up on the trailer, run for 5 seconds...then shut off just like you hit the kill button.
My buddy has a 97 xp with this same exact problem too!!

here is what we have switched out...and still have the same problem.
Carbs.
Start switch.
hood with the other wiring harness.
Black coil box.
key post.
rectifier.
MPEM.
whole front motor cover.

What else is there...? Is there a crank sensor or something? I am really starting to think it is the motor...and not the wiring.

Our next step (unless someone on here can give me ideas) is to pull the engine out and see if it will run in another ski....

And I really dont want to do this. !:confused:

So, with ALL those things switched, and at same time, were installed in bad ski, it still act up? I'd pull the mag cover of the motor, and inspect for metal shavings/bad stator assy.

HTML:
So, with ALL those things switched, and at same time, were installed in bad ski, it still act up? I'd pull the mag cover of the motor, and inspect for metal shavings/bad stator assy.

Parts were exchanged at different times. To begin with, you had to be on the water and accelerating for it to shut off...but now, it dies all the time.

already swapped out the magnetto...no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back