97 Speedster problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmymeg17

I just bought a 97 Speedster. One engine is junk so I figured Id get them both rebuilt.

On the one thats in the boat (port). I can't get it to turn over with the starter button. If I jump the red post on the starter it cranks but also there is no spark at all.

I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse under the front cover as it was blown.

Thoughts?

Also the steering wheel is locked. Like there is a safty lock on it. It will not turn feft or right.

Thx,
Tim

change the fuse, see what you got. do a compression check on the undead engine. you might wanna save the extra grand for an engine that ain't dead yet for other issues. you probably need a steering cable. i will look at my speedster and see what else could cause tight or frozen steering. the steering nozzles themselves i have never seen sieze up.

Do you get a clicking when you hit the start button? If you do it might be the solenoid that is bad. You can jump across the solenoid with a 14 guage insulated covered wire and see it it turns over. If it does it is the solenoid. Yes, do a compression check. It should be a preferred psi of 150 per cylinder. If your not sure how to perform a compression test, let us know and we'll point you in the right direction. The compression check will tell you a lot about the internals of the engine. The steering sounds like the cable is is bas shape. It can not be lubed. it is sealed to keep out water. You could disconnect it at the nozzle at the rear and see it it moves free. Chances are it is just a bad cable. Keep us posted on your progress and if you get in a jam give us a shout again.

Karl

I didn't do a compression check yet. I did jump the solenoid and it spun but still no spark at all.

I will remove the steering cable and check it. It is just plain locked Like a car with out the key in it.
I did check all fuses in the consoule and in the rear electrical box. the only bad one was the 7.5 up front which I did replace. Still nothing.

Do you get 2 beeps when you plug in you lanyard on the dess post, (Digital Electronic Security System)? If not what kind a beeps do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back