97 GTX No spark,part time issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stynie

Have a 97 GTX with a spark issue. First sign of a problem was at full throttle the ski would break up after 6k rpm or so. Cruising speed had no issues. Figured it was the coil going bad. After shutting it down, it wouldn't restart. Pulled plug and had no spark. Got it home and checked it again, and it started but only ran for about a minute then no spark again. Switched out the coil with a spare, but same issue(spark,then none,then spark). Right now it runs, but don't know for how long. Also, lanyard dosent always get the beeps, but ski cranks anyway. Kinda stumped with this due to the part time aspect of it.

Ground wires...check and clean them.

Beeper has nothing to do with it...they flake out and come back all the time.

I cleaned the ground wires to the coil when I put the spare in. Any others? The thing cranks over just fine, so the engine ground should be good.

We recommend you check your Stator in the Magnito houseing. Starter bendix's bits & flywheel teeth small bits may need to be vaccumned out. These cause electrical Havok in a 787.

Went to pull the cover to get to the stator and the plug was heavily corroded and had a burnt smell. I'm thinking this is the issue. Sounds logical,yes??

That plug that goes into the mag housing is often also a cause of issues. Mine had burnt off posts in it. They cost a pretty penny to rebuild. But do it once and put some nice dielectric silicone in there to keep water and moisture out and you should be fine after there. Also check the stator and pickup coil while your taking the cover off.

I think i need to replace my stator to it is giving me craZy nmbers when i try to check the chargine system i have swaped computers and recitifiers and batteries with my other ski and it is still there so i have linked it to that, but i am wondering do i need to pull the entire motor since the cover is hooked to a motor mount and how hard is it to get it off and swap it out?

I think i need to replace my stator to it is giving me craZy nmbers when i try to check the chargine system i have swaped computers and recitifiers and batteries with my other ski and it is still there so i have linked it to that, but i am wondering do i need to pull the entire motor since the cover is hooked to a motor mount and how hard is it to get it off and swap it out?
Is a bit of a pain. Need to unbolt all the mounts and prop the engine up to pull the cover.

I used a mirror to help with the removal and install. Couple of the mag bolts are a real PITA, but you can do it. Just remain calm. lol. A friend will be a big help when it comes time to get the cover off. He can help lift up on the engine while you put a piece of wood under it to keep it elevated a little.

Ive had the cover off twice while in the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back