97 GTS start failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrfleming

Howdy,

Started the day with a low battery--not enough juice to crank but it beeped. Pulled the battery and had it tested and charged.

Reinstalled fully charged battery. Tried starting it and absolutely nothing happened. Check and rechecked connections and fuses. Replaced fuses although all were okay. Still nothing when trying to start.

Since I had the electrical box open I tried jumping the starter solenoid to verify I had juice. Cranked over quickly when the solenoid was jumpered.

How do I test the BESS safety lanyard? How do I test the MPEM?

Thanks in advance,

JF:confused:

If you can jump the solenoid and it turns over, it says its got a good ground, the starter is good and the battery is good. It could be a bad solenoid. If the DESS is giving 2 beeps the MPEM should be ok.

Karl

Not getting any beeps. Tried pushing the start button 5-10 times with the lanyard off. No beeps. Reconnected the lanyard and tried again. Still no beeps.

I'd like to test the MPEM and the BESS. How can I do that?

Or is there something else I should do as far as diagnostics or rule out of other problems?

Thanks,

JF

Sometimes the beeper goes bad... do you hear a faint clicking noise when you attach the lanyard?

Could also be a bad dess post.

No clicking or anything when the lanyard is on or off the post. No beeping when the start button is pressed 5 times with the lanyard off the post.

Checked the wiring harness throughout including all connectors. Starter engages when the solenoid is bypassed/jumpered so ground must be good.

I plan to take the lanyard to the dealer tomorrow (Houston area dealers all seem to be closed on Mondays) to have it reprogrammed.

Any other ideas on testing the MPEM or the DESS or other diagnostics?

Not the lanyard...

Its not the lanyard if you can't get at least one beep. It can be your post or MPEM but not the lanyard. If the lanyard was bad, you'd get at least the one long beep on the "DESS" (not BESS), which is your digital electonic security system.

You need to test your start/stop switch too. Test the switch for continuity at the first plug out.:cheers:

Okay, I checked the start/stop switch and it has failed! Sounds like the buzzer too has failed. I'll see if I can locate replacements locally.

I had not suspected the start/stop switch had failed or that it would manifest as total failure.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back