96 XP ....no power....nothing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xp951

Looking for some help to get power back to this thing. End of last season I went to start it and plugged the DESS in and no beep...no nothing when I hit the start button either. I thought the battery may have drained down since sitting on the hoist not being used, but I switched with my 951 battery and same thing....nothing. I figure it must be simple, but I am not sure where to look.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you. Brent

Jump the solenoid. If it cranks well, that will tell you that you have a good battery, connections, cables and starter. If it doesn't crank well, then no matter any other issue, one of the items I listed is an issue.

Pull the plugs to make sure it is not full of oil or water. I know this isn't your complaint, but when they sit all winter long it happens..

First thing I'd do is check to make sure you have a ground to the engine.

Connect the battery. Use a test light to check the battery has voltage.

Clip the alligator clip to the ground of the battery (on the battery) then with the probe touch the positive side of the battery. The light in the test light will light.

Next move the alligator clip to the engine, pic a bolt on the engine. You might have to chip a little paint off. Then probe the positive side of the battery. If it doesn't light up make sure you are getting a good ground and try again. If you can't get the light to light up you probably don't have a good ground to the engine. The ground goes from the battery to the starter flange.

If you do get it to light up in the tester but don't have anything powerwise, pull the front connector from the magneto housing. On teh top of the plug there is a tang that up press down on and pull towards the front of the ski. Examine the plug for corrosion. The rear Ebox grounds thru the mag and if that plug is disconnected or had a corroded ground pin you will never get power. There is also a small ground strap that goes from the rear ebox right to the battery. Without that hooked up the engine will turn over but never have spark.

All of the above is assuming you checked the fuses in the front and rear eboxes.

Test light or a meter

Here is a test light, they can be had cheap.

1.jpg

Thanks for the tips, I did check the grounds with my test light and all is good there. I pulled the plugged on the front of the engine and it was corrosion free with a good amount of dielectric grease on the contacts. i have checked all the fuses that I could find front and rear box and everything looks very clean and corrosion free. Any other ideas of things to check. thanks, Brent

Did you check 12V to the solenoid? I see you checked the fuses and there was no corrosion, did you actually check continuity with a meter? In the rear e-box, on the solenoid there is 2 small wires and the 2 heavy wires. On the one side of the solenoid there should be all the hots from the battery. There should only be on heavy on the solenoid going to the starter. If those 2 small ones are on the starter side you will get no power into the MPEM.

i finally got a chance to mess around with it this morning. I checked voltage at the starter relay in the ebox and i have 12 volts when I check continuity at the relay. All the wires in the ebox look good and tight with no corrosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i thought I would give this thread another bump, the ski has been sitting on a stand in my garage for a couple months now. I appreciate the tips, but does anyone have any more? Once again, I have no peeps or anything when I plug in the DESS, or when I hit the start button.

Take a VOM and check all the fuses for complete circuit.. Bet you have a fuse blown. Check your stator for ground. It may be toast. Procedure in repair manual. You can get one off the Internet for free. Look at E - Box for a bad supply / line fuse / hook up. No beep, no power to MPEM. It also feeds thru stator circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back