96 XP idle/starting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino_160

I replaced all my gray fuel lines last year and cleaned the fuel filters in the carbs a few weeks ago, as well as the inline fuel filter. here is what it is doing now.
i can fire it up on my trailer fine, but regardless if it is cold or warmed up, when i shut it off and fire it back up on the water, i ALWAYS have to give it throttle to get it to start, it will not start without it. but it will idle just fine. then if i can barely touch the gas after its been idling and it sometimes just dies.
the times it does not die, it almost bogs out a split second then it hits and goes like a new one.
this sound like a fuel issue? top end is great, does not "miss" at idle or anything. just bogs itself out for a split second.
sometimes i have to let it crank and crank for about 8 seconds, giving it throttle before it will finally start on the water. even after i rode it for hours.???? any ideas?
p.s.- new plugs were installed as well and spark is great on it. rave valves were just serviced a week ago. but its acted this way all season.

XP

hey bud, it sounds to me like your high/low settings on your carb may be out of adjustment.

I have (2) 97 XP's and mine were out of wack, and was having the same problem. I adjusted mine to where they were supposed to be, and now it fires as soon as I hit the start button.

I believe the 96 xp stock carb setting is: 1 +/- 1/4 for the low speed
0 for the high speed

My ski is said to have larger jets in it, via the guy i bought it from, but my ski's are set at
2 turns out for the low
1 turn out for the high

And my ski runs like a top when I nail down on it.

But before I adjusted them, i could ride it for an hour or two and then cut it off, and if i tried to start it right back up, i'd have to hold the start button down for almost 10 seconds or more and give it full throttle.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back