96 XP and SPX Restos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The S P X. :D :D Made some smoke today. VTS motor works so I'll have to read up on how to set the VTS. Doesn't look like the trim gauge works. They can KEEP that adjustable trim.
SPX VTS.jpeg

There is nothing to "set" on the VTS, it either works or it doesn't.

Honestly it isn't needed and almost all of the lower trim models of each ski don't even have it. Just remove the small motor and turn the screw inside to set the trim nozzle level with the pump and put the motor back on to lock it into place. Unplug all the connectors going to the VTS unit so a bad module will not fry the MPEM.

After a small "What da hey" on the trim :) I put my nose in the book and got R did. I also installed a working trim gauge. . I secured the wiring and gave it a good twice over. Now the SPX is on the trailer for a weekend of riding. Let the break-in begin. :)

Took the SPX out on the water this weekend for break-in. I took it real easy. Sure did have a lot of "snap" to it. I didn't touch the carbs. Running 40:1 premix and oil injection. Not a whole lot of smoke. We went for a little distance ride with the family on the skis and after about 20 minutes it started dropping a cylinder (I'm still doing break-in so I wasn't running it hard) I took it easy and found a sweet spot between speed and keeping the cylinder cooperating. We were about 6 MILES from the camp. :) Got back to the area and started cutting up a bit and it ran great for a few minutes and started dropping the cylinder again. I replaced the spark plugs and same thing but I got lots of riding time in. Something is breaking down. Ski runs GREAT !! I have about 2 hours on it. I'm gonna still take it easy on the new pistons and rings. Very strong engine... yessir. I really like the little skis.20180803_152328.jpg20180805_102832.jpg

Last edited:
Well I finally got around to working on the seat for the SPX. Boy O boy.... I don't like this part. Lotta work but it's coming along. My wife had to listen to me whine and fuss. This was a living room job and generally is at our house. LOL She always give me a hand to get the cover just right. Not perfect but close enough. Almost done. :) IMG_0426.jpegIMG_0427.jpeg

The entire seat cover. JB Sportstrim. They sent me color strip samples to match the ski. I just ordered another set for the GTX , different price. I like the solid color and they are much cheaper than multi-color. I keep it simple.

Looks great! With a higher performance ski like the 787 X4's I prefer a gripper seat though.

The entire seat cover. JB Sportstrim. They sent me color strip samples to match the ski. I just ordered another set for the GTX , different price. I like the solid color and they are much cheaper than multi-color. I keep it simple.
Got it, thanks!

Looks great! With a higher performance ski like the 787 X4's I prefer a gripper seat though.

Hmmmm... I didn't know they made special seat covers. I did find the 96 XP a bit much to hang onto with one hand for my first test ride. LOL Thanks for the "heads up" :D

When I bought the skis there is a brand new seat cover in the package that matches the 96XP. It might be one of those fancy smansy covers. LOL My problem is the foam on the seat is damaged. I did some reading on how to repair and I even purchased the materials but I'm not yet ready to tackle that one.

I hate doing seat covers. I'm still looking for someone local to install the covers. I just pulled the covers off the RFI seats and handle bars. What a pain. Looks like another night in the living room with the stapler and my wife listening to me complain. LOL Then I have to fix the foam on the XP seat before doing the cover on that one. Lord please send me a seat cover guy. :)

anyone can help me i am new in jetski .i have old seadoo xp bomborder 1995.and i cant get battery execlty for bomborder 2 stroke so its posible to use any alternative.for example e bike battery 12v20ah lead acid?Or any other?

Attachments

• 20181205_172506.jpg
    20181205_172506.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OK.... I found the thread on the XP so this post should bring it to the top. I've been trying to find the correct paint to match top to the bottom of the ski as I was planning on keep it all Yellow. Rumor has it that Rustoleum Farm Implement Yellow (John Deere Yellow) is a very good match. I also downloaded the paint code page. I went to the paint shop with the codes and they couldn't help. I'm going to bring this additional page which gives the PPG number which may no longer exist and I'll bring the ski and we'll shoot the color for a match. LOL As I type this... I am wondering if I may want to do a different color on top. All Yellow would be easier for sure but.... we'll see.

I repaired all the deep chips and gouges in the skis body so she's pretty much ready for paint.

I am a minimalist when it comes to graphics so I'd like something simple but sharp looking. I've perused pictures and nothing really jumps out at me.

I have to pull the flywheel as it has some missing teeth and is worn. That will give me a look at the stator condition. Ski runs great so.... here we go !! This may well be the personal ski I keep for me.

The paint codes don’t work because it isn’t painted, it’s gel coat. You can get the oem matched gel coat still.

No Gelcoat for this ski. I'm seeing some hella cool colors on the FaceBook forum but I'm not going that deep. Here is a bad to da bone 3 stage. Slick and sick ! but I'm definitely not painting the bottom. :D Green jet ski3.jpgGreen jet ski2.jpgRed-Black Ski.jpg

Last edited:
Well starting up on the XP again. :D Ole Gene is still snowed under but I pulled the XP into the shop yesterday. Starter hit kinda hard when we rode it for testing last year so I did some checking and found the flywheel missing a tooth and general wear. I decided to pull it tonight while the wife was sleeping. LOL Starer checked out Okie Dokie last year but I'm gonna replace this bad boy. Now.... anything I need to look at. I don't want to install the flywheel RONG. :) Of course I am gonna mark it buttttt.... I'd rather just do it once so input is appreciated.XP Flywheel job (1).JPEGXP Flywheel job (2).JPEGXP Flywheel job (3).JPEG

My Collision Shop buddy and I found an acceptable match for the Paint on the XP. The actual paint supplier matched it has some type of fire engine paint that stinks when you spray it. So... we found something pretty close. "Toyota Super Bright Yellow." Gotta watch your primer though. There are a couple different shades of this paint. So the XP will get painted. QUESTION- Should I paint the hood or try to clean it up? I got the blue scotch bright with the Soft Scrub. thoughts?

I had a free seat cover that I don't like for the ski and I found out I don't like it after they put it on. Maybe it will grow on me. LOL XP Seat 1996.jpegXP Seat 1996.jpeg

The hood should clean up fine with soft scrub then Wipe New.

The flywheel can’t go on wrong, there is a key on the crankshaft, just torque to specs.

Well, looks like this girl is sold so nothing special going on this one just some quality work. I sold the SPX last week. I was going to keep both these skis for myself and have 2 GTXs and 2 cuttin up skis but C'est Lavie. Moving on to two other skis for personal use.

Well the pictures are not in order but the 96 XP is in the assembly phase. I might be water testing on Memorial Day.96 XP Put together 2019 (1).JPEG96 XP Put together 2019 (1).JPG96 XP Put together 2019 (2).JPG1996 XP Paint (3).JPEG1996 XP Paint (4).JPEG1996 XP Paint (6).JPEG

I will be installing the rub rails and one can imagine they are "not" pretty. I am seriously considering painting them but that opens up a new can of worms. Perhaps I can restore the rubber rails then paint the corners. I am looking for minimum maintenance and longevity. :)

Also, I do not like the seat but the cover was free. I will take another seat I have and replace it's cover with something more appealing to me.

As I mentioned in another thread, I do have a very well set up XP with lots of cool parts and I've been considering moving them over to this ski which I would then... Keep. :) It is a tough decision because the work on this ski is complete and it will be ready to ride as soon as I install the cosmetic parts. :D I'm getting excited. D: D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back