96 XP and SPX Restos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to get under the spray paint quickly. :) I'm not spending a ton of time or $$ on the cosmetics. I've never done Gelcoat. IF there is a way to do it quick or if I can pay someone to apply it that might be the ticket for me. I'd rather do the mechanical end. I just clean up the ski and buff them a bit.

XP getting ready to paint prep. I'm looking into doing Gelcoat. I don't mind doing it that way. I am following a gelcoat thread but I'll be ready to roll on this pretty quick. XP Paint Prep.jpeg

Last edited:
Not looking to bad as it is. I see you have a couple scrapes to fill though. What color are you thinking? Painting lets you dream up your own scheme.

Gelcoat would be a legit way for sure and definitely more durable then paint. I've seen some threads on here though where guys had to do tons of work to get the result they were looking for. The 96 Racing manual actually calls for "PPG Concept" paint. I hired my bottom painted that way, I don't do that kind of work myself.

I read and watched videos on the Gelcoat. Even the experts talked about how much work it can be and how you can end up sanding through the Gelcoat you just sprayed while trying to get a good finish. The top part with the scratches was after I hit it with 320 grit on the DA sander. :) I don't think Gelcoat is necessary on top and painting it would be quick and easy with a high gloss shine. I'm gonna go with Yellow to keep it stock because I may be selling this ski. That is why I don't want to put a lot of hours in it. Like you Matt, I don't want to get into that aspect unless necessary.

I am gonna look into PPG Concept to see what that is. There is very durable paint out there. Right now I am looking at a product to fill the scratches holes and will perform well in a wet environment.

I still say you should have just wet sanded and buffed that thing.
I could still do that but you can't see the damage to the finish, the gouges and in the back looks like buckshot. I am liberal when it comes to damaged body than a lot of people. I haven't sanded a ski yet. I lil compound to clean them up and that's all. This thing is B A D. :)

.5mm over pistons are in for the SPX, so are the replacement cylinders. MPEMs and keys are off to get programmed, Got the carbs ready for the XP.... Should get really interesting this week.

Parts are in and I am focusing on the XP. Looked like it was more ready to go. I spend a lot of time on details... makin it just right. :) Kinda bummed out that Lowe's doesn't sell Valspar paint any longer. Messed up my pipe painting plans. I ended up with Krylon which is not the exact color. More like plum. :) Checked the carbs one last time before the install, did lots of clean up, pulled the fuel tank and oil tank for cleaning. I found some black stuff that looked like it was growing on the fuel sender so I cut the circuit board and got it out of there. The fuel lines look OK. I installed and connected the computer box. I will spend some time looking at the electrics tomorrow as I begin handle bar switch assembly. After I install the mid-pipe and battery I might be able to give this bad boy a GO !! I will begin deciding on what to do with the exterior but I don't want to spend a ton of time. I have the SPX that needs a lot of attention. A couple pics of the XP. XP Engine.jpegXP Fuel Tank.jpeg

Last edited:
Exterior has some rough spots on the XP. I will take some close ups and post the pics on the thread. If I could spot gel coat I might give that a try on the bad areas as opposed to painting. I am concerned about the color match. How is that done ?

Last edited:
I'm actually considering that Matt. :) I think a full set of stickers might do a decent job of hiding the ugly. Problem is they are awfully proud of those stickers/graphics.

You could spot apply gelcoat, just duct tape off the area you're doing. prep the surface with about 150 grit, wipe acetone on it, mix your gelcoat and apply. You can get brushable gelcoat from FGCI coatings, minimum is a quart for about $45. Mix a little at a time, only what you need, apply thick, you've got about 10-12 min to apply once you start mixing. Messy stuff, use cheap brushes mixing cups etc, you can't reuse anything once it sets.

Carb settings for 96 XP. I'm reading low speed 1 high speed 0. Is that correct for both carbs?

Well the XP is running. I will be troubleshooting the VTS next. :) Hearing it run makes me want to" take it to da Ri-vier throw it in the wa-ter." Maybe tomorrow.
"

The VTS typically go out from the brain box getting water in them. I suggest unplugging it from the system as they can fry your MPEM.

Got the XP running. I like the way it revvs. The other 787s I've done the carbs and set the pop offs near the bottom. The SP I set at 31 psi. I am ready to put this thing in the water for a test to see how it does. I am far from complete on this ski but I need some affirmation. :) I'm moving kinda slow cuz I am working on too many skis at once but... I love it !!

Last edited:
No Handle bar grips switches hanging, throttle loose on the bars, no paint ugly seat, no VTS and 2 gallons of gas. I just had to get this thing to the river today along with the other skis. It needed a test run to see how it did on the water. No test and tune, just a ride and boy o boy did it RIP !! That's how a 787 is supposed to run. This thing leaps out of the water. My cousin rode it too but I couldn't get my wife on it. :D That day will come.

I got a little time in on the SPX engine today. Bored the cylinders. I am running out of excuses on this one. Time to get busy on it. Carb kits have been sitting and waiting on me, I also have to do the wear ring and I'm gonna have a look at the impeller. Problem is... the XP runs and is hella fun so I am torn as to which one to work on. The XP usually wins. :D :D

Gettin down with the SPX. Almost ready to install the engine. Lots to do on this baby but we are moving forward. 20180704_223506.jpg20180705_101723.jpg

Cylinder bore sizes recommended by WSM are different than the ones in the Seadoo Book. WSM recommends .0045" to .005". Seadoo .002" to .0043" is the new range. Guess I gotta be extra careful with my breaki-in. :) I'm about .0032" - .0035" Funny thing, the ring end gaps were at the maximum around .016" to .018" I'd have preferred to see .0014" I didn't have to file the ends so.... all I can do. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back