96 XP and SPX Restos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should never have to file the rings on a 2-stroke. I would setup to the piston manufacturer's specs as the different brands can expand at different rates.

How do I find out of the impeller I have for the SPX is the correct one for the ski?? The part number on the parts list doesn't match the impeller I have for the ski. (Seadoo 271000458) Parts list calls for (271000497)

UPDATE - OK I found the prop. 458 is off a 1995 XP that uses the 717 engine. It is a 10/22. The SeaDoo part number calls for a 11/22. What's up with that? Better bottom end??

Last edited:
Alignment... coming up next, then Wear ring, new seal, and carbs and... and.... and.... LOL

20180705_202447.jpg20180705_202821.jpg20180705_202831.jpg

Nice progress on the SPX. Let me know if you need any pictures or anything. I just picked up a mint 1996 SPX from a guy that had it on his yacht since 1996 and only has a few hours on it. He decided he needed a new ski for his new yacht, must be rough.

Yea life is tough for some people. LOL Thanks for the offer Miki. I had to get with Matt today over the jet pump. I ended up taking the jet pump off the Parts XP because I needed the plastic fittings. :) I'm kinda curious as to how this thing is gonna run. :)

Nice progress on the SPX. Let me know if you need any pictures or anything. I just picked up a mint 1996 SPX from a guy that had it on his yacht since 1996 and only has a few hours on it. He decided he needed a new ski for his new yacht, must be rough.
Need pictures... :)

Ha ha.. man o man am I learning some things about these jet skis... some of this stuff has me scratching my head when I look at it the parts and say.... "that's not how the others were put together.". LOL I keep running into road blocks to my work progress and low and behold I find the part I need in the pile of parts that came with the skis. Even NEW parts. Yea Buddy. I gotta that St. Anthony..."finder of lost things" for the help. I put stuff down I just had in my hand and can't find it 2 seconds later. :) :) Anyway... the jet pump and propulsion system should be assembled today which will make a milestone in the job progress. I still have a lot to do though. I believe these 3 skis will be the last of my "basket case" projects.

Brought the XP home from the hangar today. I don't like leaving the skis in the weather. We'll be headed to my friends paint shop for prepping and such. Not sure about color yet. I like the yellow but may add some "bling" I'm definitely leaving the gelcoat on the bottom alone. This picture might look like the finish is salvageable but there are a number of deep gouges. Where do I buy the rivets and tools to install the black rails? How many rivets do I need? I found them on the parts page but it doesn't tell you the length or number needed.XP Paint Prep.jpeg

Last edited:
Brought the XP home from the hangar today. I don't like leaving the skis in the weather. We'll be headed to my friends paint shop for prepping and such. Not sure about color yet. I like the yellow but may add some "bling" I'm definitely leaving the gelcoat on the bottom alone. This picture might look like the finish is salvageable but there are a number of deep gouges. Where do I buy the rivets and tools to install the black rails? How many rivets do I need? I found them on the parts page but it doesn't tell you the length or number needed.View attachment 36521

You can buy a hand rivet gun at the local Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc. Usually the rivets are 3/16" x 3/4" grip. Now I'm speaking of the GTX and GSX models, not sure of an X4 hull. Rivets are sold by 'grip'. you can buy aluminum or SS, depends on durability you're looking for, I bought SS because I'm aiming to move further South eventually down by the salty gulf region. But, SS rivets are a pain to install, they don't pop easy like aluminum, all the SS ones I installed I have to grab with a vice grip and bend off the shank. You ask how many do you need? just walk around the ski and count...

I'm gonna stick with aluminum. Rivets are 20 years old... :) The have different part numbers for the bow rail and side rails so I was asking for info on the rivets and numbers of. I'm pretty close to the Gulf myself. :)

I'm gonna stick with aluminum. Rivets are 20 years old... :) The have different part numbers for the bow rail and side rails so I was asking for info on the rivets and numbers of. I'm pretty close to the Gulf myself. :)

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but forget the part numbers, measure the 'grip' you need and add 1/4". That's how they're sold. To figure out the quantity visually count the holes. Try ebay. I paid less than $25 shipped for 3 packs of 25 for SS 3/16" X 3/4" grip. Double check me on the grip, but something tells me the X4 hull halves are the same thickness of the 2 and 3 seater hulls from the 90's.

Looking for the color number for they yellow on the XP.

Gelcoat color number? Yellow? You'll only get one choice of yellow from suppliers. You're making things too difficult, if you're painting it, get a paint sample and match it

Gelcote international out of Canada has brp colors by year this is what I found under 1996 1996 Sea Doo Super Yellow (Bright Yellow). That might work for you. I bought a repair kit for my 96 fax from them pricey but I don't have to try and mix colors to match.

Gelcote international out of Canada has brp colors by year this is what I found under 1996 1996 Sea Doo Super Yellow (Bright Yellow). That might work for you. I bought a repair kit for my 96 fax from them pricey but I don't have to try and mix colors to match.
Thanks that is certainly what I was looking for on the Gelcoat side. I will check it out. :)

Gelcoat color number? Yellow? You'll only get one choice of yellow from suppliers. You're making things too difficult, if you're painting it, get a paint sample and match it
I have a great deal of experience with that... no thanks. It is not that easy.

I have a great deal of experience with that... no thanks. It is not that easy.

I really don't understand why it's "not that easy". You're either gelcoating or painting...with one of the easiest colors to match. Mind you I just gelcoated the entire GTX and painted the hood in single stage metallic paint. Wanting color numbers and part numbers to rivets is over thinking things, take a simpler approach.

I like to get it right the first time. :) There is always more to a situation than meets the eye. This forum is a wonderful place to get information from people that have walked the same path and are willing to share. I am always thankful and appreciative for the help.

Well Well well.... this SPX is putting up one hell of a fight to completion. Now waiting on jets for the carbs, perhaps tomorrow I'll go to shop and try to find them so I can start a little early. I have 3 new to me skis I am working on as well as the GTXs so I'm snowed under with work on skis.

The XP is in the paint shop and I have more body work to do before we prime and paint. Planning to match paint and a little custom color to the very top. I read on a forum that John Deere Yellow was a perfect match. :) we shall see.

I mentioned this previously that I will soon begin working on the variable trim systems on these skis. That should be interesting and frustrating and time consuming. :)

I'm punch drunk with the SPX... this thing is coming together S L O W L Y. I pulled the fuel and oil tanks, cleaned them up today, replaced the fuel lines and fuel selector. The jets came in for the carbs. The carbs are complete except for the jet replacement on One Carb. Tomorrow I'll install the carbs and the electrical box and wires. I sent MPEM box off to Matt to get keys made and such. He did a great job and was more the reasonable. :) I'm sitting here kinda awestruck..... this thing could actually be ready to run shortly. Hmmmm.....

I know I'm slow but I check everything, clean and paint stuff, and just go through it "all" I haven't done anything with the Trim system and I think I'd like to leave that disconnected till I get the ski operational.

Last edited:
The quest continues. Worked on my cousins 1995 SPX carbs today so mine got sidetracked a bit but I spent some time working on oil lines and getting them right, installing the carb jets, painting the carbs, etc... "Getttin closer !!" . I have to install the carbs and get all the cables looking right. Gotta remember these two skis came with boxes of parts.... I wanna get the right ones in the right places. After the carbs, the Gray electronics box and wiring.

Can't wait to hear test ride results. Looks like your making your own good luck.
Thanks Matt...the gray box on the SPX is one you set up for me. :) The XP's worked GREAT !! Gotta get the cooling water line thing sorted. I think I have a fitting on the pipe I don't need but... gotta check it out. :)

Well well well... installing the electrics. This will be a bit of a challenge for me. The Dess Post is partially disconnected so I have to figure out which wire goes where,

QUESTION - How do I disconnect the VTS for now so I can work on getting the engine running without worrying about possible burned up stuff due to VTS wiring or problems. Isn't there a 7amp fuse I can disconnect?

Just don't plug in the connectors going to the VTS, they are not needed to run the ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back