96 XP and SPX Restos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
My wife laughed when I showed her a picture of the 3 skis I am planning to pick up this week. (2) 1996XPs and (1) 1996 SPX. It is all the fault of this group. :) I won't be in a real hurry to dive into the process but will surely be asking for input. I was told (1) XP is a parts ski but it has an engine and such in it. I also have a 96GTX complete so I can use that for parts to build the second XP I guess. Is my SPI and X4 hull ?? I love riding that lil sucker.

Your SPI technically isn't an X4 but similar. You are going to flip over the 1996 XP. Make sure you post pictures as soon as you get them!

Your SPI technically isn't an X4 but similar. You are going to flip over the 1996 XP. Make sure you post pictures as soon as you get them!
OK but they are really ugly. :) I'm gonna have to paint. Right now I am contemplating unloading the GTXs off the trailer so I can go get the skis. I'm gonna need a method for moving them around till I add onto my shop.

I would make some wooden PWC carts.
You shouldn't have to paint it. Take a look at some resto threads like mine and you will be surprised on how the gelcoat comes back to life.

You shouldn't have to paint it. Take a look at some resto threads like mine and you will be surprised on how the gelcoat comes back to life.

Yea well.... this one may be the exception. LOL Maybe I can make it a "sleeper" :D:D
.96 XP First pic.jpg

Honestly from that picture I see no reason it can't be saved. Wet sand and polish, nothing more. That is how my 1996 started.

Honestly from that picture I see no reason it can't be saved. Wet sand and polish, nothing more. That is how my 1996 started.
How long did it take to sand with the 1000 then the 2000 grit.? Makes my shoulder hurt just looking at it. :)

This is true. Look at the turd I started with.

RESTO - 95 xp800

4 gallons of acetone and countless hours polishing, but it came out pretty decent.

It took less than 1/2" hour to wetsand with each grit. For the buffing buy a cheap one from harbor freight.

Decisions.... XP first or the SPX ?? Gonna take the path of lease resistance. If it is just the engine on the SPX that would be quicker than the XP. The XP wiring is gutted. The owner told me he pulled the wiring from the Parts XP. To me, the parts XP looks pretty good. As stated I have 96 GTX for parts.

Someone mentioned the tool for DESS programming being under $400. Anyone have info on that?? Does the tool program only or does it have any other capabilities?? I can't find it on the internet.

Last edited:
Sorry guys... I forgot to post some pictures. Here ya go !! I have so many parts I'll have to figure out what goes where. This is the Parts XP
Parts XP Dash.jpg

Parts XP2.jpgThis is the SPX with my initials in the License Number. This ski looks really nice. I don't know about the seats..... looks like too much for me. The previous owner says he has seat covers and will send them. It came with a supposedly good engine. I will check that out tomorrow.

SPX ET.jpg

This is a picture of the supposedly good XP that only needs the carbs done. Well, there are parts everywhere and wires everywhere. LOL I plan to check the engine first and proceed from there. Might not be a big job to get it running as for the Uglies... that may take a while. LOL
XP Hood.jpg
This is another shot of the BEE. LOL XP Dash 2.jpgXP Rt. Side.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a registration card in that 96XP parts ski then all you would need would be a bill of sale from the name on the card and you could get it legal. Parts can be found slipping through ebay cheap and endless advice here is free.

I save skis like this over and over again. They are the best toys ever.

Matt... the owner has the titles on the two skis I planned on building. There is nothing on the other 96XP but I will check. There should be a process by which an individual could get title to older equipment. I understand the need for safeguards but it gets to the point of ridiculous. A little story.....

I bought my first jet ski last year in Mississippi with a trailer. I went to the DMV in Louisiana and told the lady I needed to register a trailer. She said, "Do you have the title" I said, "No Ma'am" She said, "Then the person had no right selling you the trailer. You need to go find the person with the title and.... blah blah blah." I said, thank you. Went to Mississippi, got a license plate in 20 minutes. They were so helpful.

My cousin built his own trailer and the Officer giving him a hard time told him.... "I don't believe you built this trailer." I guess we need to take videos of ourselves with head shots so we can identify that we can do our own quality work. LOL

If you have a registration card in that 96XP parts ski then all you would need would be a bill of sale from the name on the card and you could get it legal. Parts can be found slipping through ebay cheap and endless advice here is free.

I save skis like this over and over again. They are the best toys ever.

Matt, you and I are pretty much neighbors. LOL I'm right on the boarder of LA/MS. We rent a place in Gulf Breeze for a week during the summer. That is why I bought my first ski last year cuz renting was so expensive and limiting. Owning is probably more expensive but you can do what you want. ha ha

You can always sell a god running ski in season for $1500ish. Since you are doing the work yourself I think you will always be ahead of the game.

I can't/won't charge someone $700-$1200 to get their ski running but that's what I earn when I sell them one. Plus If I was "they're mechanic" I'd be hearing about every little problem and be getting calls getting cussed out by idiots because of what some 20+ year water toy did. No, I'm just a nice guy that turned them on to the sport :innocent:

You have a point. I'm sure I'll fall into my nitch and be happy. I really like helping people. If nothing else, I'll have a top notch home shop to work on my skis. :) I got the Skis moved around and the GTX is first into the shop. I found some stuff that looked like foam insulation material around 2 of the forward motor mounts. I scraped it off and don't see any issues. I will remove the engine mounts and have a look underneath. Is there a reason someone would use spray foam under the mounts??SPX Engine Mounts.jpg

Gotta figure out how to test and adjust set up the Variable Trim but that will come after the motor install and alignment, wear ring replacement, etc.... LOL Looking forward to riding this thing !!SPX Trim Motor.jpg

Also.... in my shopping for jet skis... All I've found for $1200 are non performing skis that people tell me only need carb adjustments. :D:D One was even "locked up at that price" Of course... my first skis I purchased last year but as a buyer I have some experience. If I were looking for a ski I'd look in the $1800 range as one may find a good ski or be prepared to do lots of shopping and know what they are looking for find a really good ski cheaper. As an individual purchaser..... I spent several months looking at skis. It think the ability to water test a ski before purchase would up the ante some on the price. Otherwise one is buying pig in a poke. I need some coaching. LOL

Spent all day on the jet skis. Of course, moving them around counts as work. Cleaned up the 96 SPX inside and out and set it up in the number one spot. Went to check out the "good" engine. I suppose it was good at some point but not today. Had dirt on the inside and guess what... broke 5 head bolts taking in apart and had to cut the head to get it off. I'm want to do some testing on the engine before reassembly. I want to test the seals. I'm definitely gonna do some squish testing and I'm gonna put it at the minimum. I do need some parts. Oh yea... got that nasty bee off the XP. 320 sandpaper on the DA. :) SPX Engine Apart.jpgXP Bee Removed.jpg96 XP Bee Removed.jpgSPX Clean up.jpgSPX Engine Apart.jpg due to the carnage so I am going shopping. Hopefully the cylinder bores will be good.... not sure I can save them but I'll try to get all the broken bolts out if the bores are good. Don't know why I love this stuff but Ah Do !! :)

Last edited:
Looks like a paint job for the XP. Too much damage to the finish. Looks like somebody ran under a barbed wire fence and it has a number of gouges. Fine with me. I hear pulling the rub rails is a pain in the butt but I got time. :) Just seems me that with them out of the way I'll have an easier time prepping and the paint job will be cleaner.. Paint recommendations? I think I remember seeing the color on this forum somewhere. :)

Looks like a paint job for the XP. Too much damage to the finish. Looks like somebody ran under a barbed wire fence and it has a number of gouges. Fine with me. I hear pulling the rub rails is a pain in the butt but I got time. :) Just seems me that with them out of the way I'll have an easier time prepping and the paint job will be cleaner.. Paint recommendations? I think I remember seeing the color on this forum somewhere. :)

I wouldn't recommend painting it, durability is horrible. If you have the time and don't mind sanding your ass off, re gelcoat it, shouldn't be too bad on the smaller SPX/XP hull. I just did my 1997 GTX top and bottom, much more surface area. The results are like a new hull, polished out it's shiny and very durable. Rub rail is easy to remove, just drill out the rivets, re rivet back in when you're done. I went overkill and used SS rivets on the re install, but I was also thinking of salt water use in gulf area later on.

The paint will never last as long or be as durable as gelcoat. I still say you should wet sand and buff. I also feel 320 is way too aggressive, I have started with 600 and gone up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back