96 spx wear ring issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaineoutlaw

I just bought this ski. The wear ring is not chewed up and the propeller is the right number. It had a anti rattle cone, no water in the cone at all. It has a pretty big gap all around the propeller tho.
And has in and out play on the shaft, like front to back. Towards th drivershaft and nose cone w nose cone removed.
Is that normal? Also it sits very low in the back while in the water, like water comes in the footwell area, is that normal? I am 6’3” 250lbs
03164636-C457-4B97-A44C-32ADCF4CB31A.jpeg

Attachments

• 483A7ED3-4BEC-4D4B-BF58-0962B4E8E559.jpeg
    483A7ED3-4BEC-4D4B-BF58-0962B4E8E559.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 73FB9273-30A8-4C82-9D40-7BE2FB143CAC.jpeg
    73FB9273-30A8-4C82-9D40-7BE2FB143CAC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
From the pictures it looks like the inner side of the wear ring is gone. That would explain the large impeller gap. A properly installed wear ring should be about flush with the bronze ring of the stator on the pump. Some in and out play is normal. Would need a dial indicator to determine if how much you have is too much. As for sitting low in the rear, can’t really say. I’m about 200 pounds with a 94 spi and the back end doesn’t sit so low to the point of water rushing into the foot wells on its own.

I just bought this ski. The wear ring is not chewed up and the propeller is the right number. It had a anti rattle cone, no water in the cone at all. It has a pretty big gap all around the propeller tho.
And has in and out play on the shaft, like front to back. Towards th drivershaft and nose cone w nose cone removed.
Is that normal? Also it sits very low in the back while in the water, like water comes in the footwell area, is that normal? I am 6’3” 250lbs
View attachment 47458
In my '96 manual it states, "clearance between the wear ring and the impeller blade at its closest point should be 1.0 mm". Your pictures show a significantly greater gap than that, so you need to delve into that more closely. The wear ring looks pretty beat up in the photos.

AS far as the ski sitting low in the water....I'm 205# and I've never been able to squat the ski into the water far enough to take on water into the footwells...not even with 2 people on board at the dock....something is not right...the ski should easily support a 250#load.

Your wear ring is gone. All the rubber is gone and all that is left is the fiberglass support.
That wear ring is 100% trash, get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back