Need suggestions on installing c lip on drive shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled my engine on my GTI 1996. I bought an alignment tool and have reinstalled the engine, the drive shaft, and the pump. I bought a metal c-clip to use on the drive shaft to replace the oem rubber drive shaft o-ring. However I am having a world of time trying to get the c-clip installed. I've been using a 2x4 and a pair of channel locks to compress the boot. However I can't seem to get it compressed enough to get the c-clip installed. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying the installation tool for $100? I replaced the cone with an anti-rattle cone so there's not a huge amount of play in the drive shaft. The issue is I cant compress the bellows enough.

I’ve been successful with the methods you’ve tried. If all else fails grab a second person to install c clip while you pull bellow back with both hands.

hopefully this photo makes sense. I cut a piece of wood with a U shape to perfectly fit over the "hat" and a second block to place between the engine and the bottom of that U shaped piece and pry. works really good.

Attachments

• kqbrpxlKRUam5LzGQTDbmA.jpg
    kqbrpxlKRUam5LzGQTDbmA.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 21
Check your driveshaft again.
Some actually have two grooves for the clip so make sure you are trying to clip it into the correct one.
Did you also replace both of the rubber driveshaft bumpers on each end of the driveshaft?

I feel a little stupid. My problem actually is the drive shaft went into the flywheel boot too far. I have both drive shaft bumpers on but the driver shaft will push into the boot all the way to where the c clip retaining slot is. Is the issue the driver shaft bumper is worn out? I reused the old ones. Or am I missing something else? Basically the drive shaft with the bumper on pushes to far into the flywheel. Where the c clip slot is now there is no way too keep pressure on the carbon ring.

Attachments

• 20230310_193057.jpg
    20230310_193057.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230310_192712_HDR.jpg
    20230310_192712_HDR.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 15
Bumper looks ok.
The clip shouldn’t change anything at all since it sits in the exact spot as the 0-ring.

I have a feeling my issue is caused by a new anti rattle cone I installed. Once the pump is installed the carbon ring has zero pressure on it. The new cone is putting more pressure on the drive shaft than it had previously. I bought a new carbon ring set and if that doesn't work I will put the old cone back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back