96 GTX no Start Diesel Mech asking for help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonDiesel

New Here but I have been lurking around....
I just bought a 96 GTX not running for the last six months to screw around with while I await my fate in an ongoing divorce. According to the seller his dealer told him the carbs needed to be rebuilt and the gas tank needs to be removed and cleaned which he was told the engine has to come out to get the tank out.

I am a diesel mechanic but I am not afraid to get envolved in anything that runs on fuel so I was reading through all of these posts but I think its time to ask for some Help.

The engine turns over and has 180# in both cylinders. The Ski has the old gray lines which I replace with new black lines and order a new fuel selector.

I checked for spark and it seems weak to me although its there. I used a spark tester and get a weak glow. I used a new plug grounded to the head and can see spark but it look like an old lawn mower would put out not what I would expect from and electronic ignition or is this not and HEI system?

I checked all the fuses frnt and back thier all good. The coil had some rust on the ground bolt so I cleaned it up but no Change. I didn't like how the plug wires are just stuck up inside the coil. one wire was hanging out because the litle plastic clip was broke. I guess I'll get new wires but I sure that is not my problem.

I have read about the stator/pickup bracket but i have not pulled the front cover but was thinking about it since I got the carbs off for rebuilding.

When I check for 12v at the white wire at the coil I get nothing if i leave it plugged into the coil and I get a meduim glow on my test light if I remove it from the coil. Am I checking this correctly? Should I get a bright light from the white wire. Should I use a meter instead of a test light?

Also I have to keep messing around with the lanyard to get it to turn over, maybe I need to clean all of the connections?

Any help or what/where I should go next would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks All!

sparks' spark, bud...you can remove the small storage compartment, to gain access to the fuel baffle, to clean out the tank...shop rag and coat hanger will do the trick. 180* is a bit high, possible you got some oil seep'n pass the seals, causing the high compression, but once fired up, it'll clear itself.

If you gone thru the carbs, clean the raves (under black caps), replaced the fue lline, got spark,...i'd say, hit the start button.

Thanks for the info. I am waiting for the fuel selector valve and some gaskets to arrive. I have the tank fully forward and it looks like it should come out the front but I still have a few gallons to drain out.

Should I pull the front cover while I am this far into it to check the pickup?

theres a screen there, also, but for now, depend'n on what "gaskets" your waiting for, you can run the fuel line, from the "res' fitting, to the filter, then filter to carb...but if o-ring in filter is bad, the carb wont pull fuel, so/or run fuel line from "res" fitting, right to carb, bypassing all that possible crap, just to get it fired up.

Well the plugs were soaked with gas which makes me think its a spark related problem not fuel.

But when I pulled the carbs apart there was a lot of crap in them. I thought mybe a piece of crap was holding the needle off its seat. In fact a few times it hydrauliced and wouldn't turn over so I pulled the plugs a saw the fuel pump out.

The rebuild on the carbs should take care of that issue but I still think the spark looked week.

Is it worth it to pull the MAG cover off while I have the carbs off and fuel tank out? It seems that a lot of post are saying the bracket on the pickup could be a problem?

NO WAY... YOU CANT REALLY "SEE" IF A SPARK IS WEAK.... doos have a super common problem with their fuel system, i would change over your fuel system like your doin.... carb rebuild, new selector, new fuel lines, new o-ring for the fuel cup (up front)... hook it all back ant fire her up see what happens.... and i would check the plug gap.... should be running, NGK BR8ES @ .022".... (according to NGK's gap chart)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than put it all back together and find out it won't start could I just pour a lil fuel down the intake runner (Carbs are off) just to see if I get a burp out of it then I know it will probably will fire when assembled.

what do you think?

Mcguyver.... .

LOL........

Back to subject, if what yuo say is removed/outta the way, then its a matter of a few minutes, to pull the mag cover and inspect/clean it out. Not bad idea, considering, without a doubt, there will be some type of debris/metal shavings, on-around the trigger and other spots.:cheers:

Anytime you fool around with a plastic boat and gas, that is the whole idea of the flame screen over the carbs, not in my shop or on my watch - too risky.

I here what your saying but the fuel tank is removed from the ski along with fuel lines and carbs. Not much fuel to catch. I am only droppong such a small amount to get it to hicup. But I think I will remove the mag cover while everything is off just for piece of mind if nothing else. Too hot out there now around 98* with 95% Humidity feels like a 105*. I'll try early Sat morning. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give their input!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back