1996 spx 717 no start, very weak spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Foxdoo

Ok so I’m not the best at electrical stuff and my 96 spx has very weak spark. I can hold the spark plug in my hand and feel the spark but just barely but it should be enough to were you don’t want to hold it. Thought it could be my rectifier so I replaced it, same issue weak spark. Then replaced the coil, still weak spark. I also replaced the mpem with an oem one from eBay that tested fine. I’m assuming my last option would be to replace the stator but I tested it and it was within spec. Any recommendations or help is much appreciated!

Have you checked your voltages and resistance to ground at the coil to ensure you don’t have a voltage drop somewhere in the primary system? You have to backprobe the wires as the connector has to stay plugged in for it to work.

I’ve checked just about everything except the stator so I removed the flywheel and stator. I noticed that my crank bearing seal was damaged and when I removed the seal I saw that my front bearing was toast. Stator was covered in dried oil, would this cause a weak spark? Engine cranked fine but I’m assuming this was the main issue. Now I need to pull the whole motor and rebuild both crank and motor while I’m at it but not sure if this will fix the problem or not.

Back