RESTO 94 Speedster Restoration Process(?)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

noviceskier

1994 speedster twin 657x's
image0.jpg

Think I enjoyed putting the skis back together more than actually riding them, wanted something "new" found this boat for sale, bit of a mess inside the engine bay, boats not too sure what it wants to be I think, PO said it was converted to premix, misterisely both motors blew after (as I saw some left over oil lines going to the rv I wonder why lol) From the pictures he sent both "rebuilt" motors compression is right around the 150 mark. Reason for him selling is an electrical issue that he had gotten tired of messing with, jumping the solenoid both motors turn over and port actually started. Boats gonna need an entire overhaul mechanically and cosmetically. Trying to start each motor, getting one faint beep from the beeper right by the hood, first thing that's coming to mind is a bad ground? Checking the fuses in the mpem as we speak, we'll see.

First things first I'm gonna want to clean this thing, can't work in a dirty hull.
image0 (1).jpg
image0 (2).jpg
Will update later with pictures.

(If anyone does have a 94 speedster and would be able to send me a picture of their ebox that'd be greatly appreciated, PO messed around with the wiring and it looks a bit sketchy if I may say so)

Last edited:
Does that have the rear facing seat next to the driver? It looks like it from the photo. But the 94 and 95 don't have that seat.
I have the wiring diagram for the 94 with DESS. Let me know your email address and I'll send it to you. I also have a mess of an electric box and will need to rewire my 94 Speedster project.

Cheers
Graham

Does that have the rear facing seat next to the driver? It looks like it from the photo. But the 94 and 95 don't have that seat.
I have the wiring diagram for the 94 with DESS. Let me know your email address and I'll send it to you. I also have a mess of an electric box and will need to rewire my 94 Speedster project.

Cheers
Graham
It does not have the spotters seat. HIN indicates hull was manufactured in 94 but the owners manual and remaining decals has me pointing to it being a 95? Silly question but how does one remove the cushion on the bow? Seems stubborn and I'd rather not break anything with my lack of patience.

My Seat bottom cushion is held down with upholstery darts. The seat back slides upward on my similar boat built in 2000. Presumably yours will come off that way too. If you are actually planning to restore this boat, I would highly recommend buying a paper service manual off eBay. Depending on year, you may need to buy a supplement for the electrical portion.

at the very least, get a pdf version

My Seat bottom cushion is held down with upholstery darts. The seat back slides upward on my similar boat built in 2000. Presumably yours will come off that way too. If you are actually planning to restore this boat, I would highly recommend buying a paper service manual off eBay. Depending on year, you may need to buy a supplement for the electrical portion.

at the very least, get a pdf version

Oh yeah, I have the service manual for this boat with notes from the dealer, presumably when dealerships used to actually work on these things. If the weather ever decides to clear up I'll take another crack at it.

Just wanting to confirm before placing my order with osd, my speedster has the twin 657x dual carb, if what I looked up has been correct, each carb uses the 1.2 needle?

Also, the boat has been "converted" to premix, seems they just disconnected the oil pumps and left the 3/32 lines and feed and return lines somewhat in tact? And looks like they cut off the feed line to the rv cover and plugged it with a bolt and ziptie, what a mess. Either way, feel like I'm going to need to take off the rv cover and would be best to swap out both oil pumps with known good ones from westside powersports. What a headache that.

Feeling like I just want to pull both motors out of the boat so I have easier access in digging through this thing and making my time going through everything easier. Definitely a project and I have even sorted through the electrical mostly, a complete hack.

Well, if you take out the motors, you will need special tool to re align them and that is a hassle.
Whenever I do a good deal of maintenance in my engine compartment, I always pull off the hood, set the tray aside, and climb in there.

Oh yeah, I have the service manual for this boat with notes from the dealer, presumably when dealerships used to actually work on these things. If the weather ever decides to clear up I'll take another crack at it.

When you say you have the Service Manual.... You mean the 1995 manual? I don't think they did a 94 manual. I have the 94 manual and the wiring diagram for the 94 with DESS.

For the bow seat cushion... Mine has plastic spikes forward and three bolts aft. I managed to reach them (barely!) from the ski locker.

Just wanting to confirm before placing my order with osd, my speedster has the twin 657x dual carb, if what I looked up has been correct, each carb uses the 1.2 needle?

Also, the boat has been "converted" to premix, seems they just disconnected the oil pumps and left the 3/32 lines and feed and return lines somewhat in tact? And looks like they cut off the feed line to the rv cover and plugged it with a bolt and ziptie, what a mess. Either way, feel like I'm going to need to take off the rv cover and would be best to swap out both oil pumps with known good ones from westside powersports. What a headache that.

Feeling like I just want to pull both motors out of the boat so I have easier access in digging through this thing and making my time going through everything easier. Definitely a project and I have even sorted through the electrical mostly, a complete hack.

You shouldn't need needles. Get the Mikuni rebuild kit. Not aftermarket. Seems like some of the aftermarket kits screw up the pop off.

You shouldn't need needles. Get the Mikuni rebuild kit. Not aftermarket. Seems like some of the aftermarket kits screw up the pop off.
While I'm in the carbs I always just put a new seat of needle and seats in them, just for safe measure really, is worth the piece of mind in my opinion. When I had gone through my HX one of them was slowly leaking, found when I had checked popoff, and in doing so saved me from the headaches of chasing down carb issues on that ski for the season. When I had gone through the gsx the carbs where so poorly done from the previous owner I hadn't trusted anything that was in them so I ended up replacing everything and that ski starts on a dime in the water now. Although I'm not saying everyone should do that, just something of mine I do.

When you say you have the Service Manual.... You mean the 1995 manual? I don't think they did a 94 manual. I have the 94 manual and the wiring diagram for the 94 with DESS.

For the bow seat cushion... Mine has plastic spikes forward and three bolts aft. I managed to reach them (barely!) from the ski locker.
Awesome, thanks had noticed that and when the rain finally clears up I'll be taking it out to get the seats sent off to get reupholstered

Sorry that should be I have the 95 manual and the 94 DESS wiring diagram. Finger trouble. But if you do actually have a 94 manual, let me know. My local Seadoo dealer swears they never did one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back