587 Single/Dual Carb Differences - Rotary Timing - Port Configuration?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

petemon

Hi All.

What's the difference between the single and dual carb 587? Obviously the intake manifold is different, but why is there a different spec for the rotary valve timing? Seems like it should be the same unless there is a difference in the cylinder porting or block machining. I noticed that SBT asks if you have single or dual carbs if you order a rebuilt 587. Assuming there is a difference, how do you tell the two apart?

The reason I ask is that I have a 587 with a single carb in a 92 SP. It's not the original engine. I bought it in non-running condition and I'm trying to get it going. I set the rotary valve to the single carb spec but it won't run, just sputters. I notice that it doesn't seem to draw air through the carb like I'd expect, seems to pulse in and out. I played with the ignition timing and it sputters more when the timing is advanced as far as it will go, it backfires if I retard it all the way.

Also, what's the difference between engines with 132 vs. the 147 degree cutout? I'm thinking the 132 was for the yellow engine but can't find anything to confirm that.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Pete. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure if you asked it in the 2-stroke PWC section of the forum you'd get help there. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back