1996 Seadoo GTI Rotary Valve Seal Leak / Carb Settings

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

broberts459

Hello,

New to the seadoo world. This 1996 GTI is my first ski. Picked it up from a guy that said he couldn't get it to idle well but it had ran decent in the past. Took a chance on it. The fuel looked a little old so I drained all the fuel out and rebuilt the carb w/ exclusively OEM parts. Topped it off with API-TC oil. Checked compression, about 145 on each cylinder. Pulled the rotary valve and found no major scoring on the machined surface. Double checked the rotary valve timing. Changed the inline oil and fuel filters. Blew out the fuel lines and made sure I had good fuel flow through all the fuel lines. Not quite sure I set the carb low idle screw correctly. I believe I set it to 1 1/4 turns out. Oil injection pump is clocked w/ the mark on the pump housing. Starting it for a few seconds out of water it seemed to idle pretty high but I figured this is normal. After rebuilding the carb it will start right up without even having to choke it and it sounds great. However upon starting it up after sitting it burps some oil out of the exhaust. Plugs are also fouled w/ oil. After doing a lot of reading on here, i've came to the conclusion that the rotary valve shaft seal is leaking and filling the intake? I'm not going to pull the engine to address this seal since other than the leaking seal it runs great. It started out on the lake running great yesterday when I took it out but as the day went on it seemed to struggle more and more after you shut it off or after you let it idle. You would have to really feather the throttle for a few minutes until it would finally get going. Also it seemed like there was a serious delay in throttle response. You would hit the throttle and there was a definite pause/delay in the engine response. Lastly when we pulled it from the lake I noticed the fuel tank wasn't very empty at all. The kawasaki we had used about a half tank and the GTS was hardly low at all. I did fill it to the top of the kneck on accident but could there have been water getting into the fuel tank?

Summary-
RV seal fix= shut off valve on hose going under the intake?
Proper carb settings / throttle response?
Water in fuel?

Thanks in advance

Did you get this ski working properly? I have a 97 gts 717 with the same symptoms... I've been chasing the same problem for almost a month now.

Back