587/720 swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MAL

Hi everybody, I am just starting to research what parts I will need to swap a 717 into a 96 SP. I am not 100% positive that it is an SP. There are no decals on the ski and the exhaust looks like it could be an SPI/SPX according to the parts schematic. The schematic that I am referencing is (ENGINE SUPPORT W/ MUFLER AND SHORT BLOCK) World of Powersports w/ SpeedSupplies.com''''''''s 1996 Sea Doo It is not likely to be an SPX because the ski has the 587 in it.

So my first question is how can I identify the ski with the vin?

As I mentioned already the parts schematic shows that the SPI and the SPX have the same exhaust. Visually the exhaust looks like the 717 exhaust.

How can I positively identify the exhaust and if it will work on the 717?

I have a 717 that was pulled from a 97 Explorer. It has the bed plate, intake(single carb) and exhaust manifold, so I don't need to find those parts. I don't have the electronics. In my search I have read that I need a rev limiter from a 717. I have read that there are aftermarket rev limiters. Some people in threads that I have read, have been advised to pull the entire wiring harness from the doner ski.

Is the rev limiter a separate part or is it in the MPEM?

Can I just replace the Rev limiter or MPEM with just about any 717 rev limiter? Will it be plug and play if I can do that?

I have found that the 97 SP 717 has a rev limiter set at 5900 RPM and the 01-05 GTI 717 has the rev limiter set a 7100 RPM

Do I have any thing to gain by looking for the 7100 RPM rev limiter, or am I just asking for problems?

What am I missing? Throttle cable? Choke cable? Water box? Exhaust outlet? Will these parts need to be replaced also?

Last edited:
I probably have the whole gray box for the 717. If it is what you need I'll sell it to ya cheap. :) ($150) Strange that the rev limiter would be that low RPM.

I probably have the whole gray box for the 717. If it is what you need I'll sell it to ya cheap. :) ($150) Strange that the rev limiter would be that low RPM.
What ski is the Ebox out of? I am not sure if it matters what ski it is from, but it may be useful information, and I don't want the 97 SP Ebox.

I was on the site jetdrift.com and it says that the 97 SP tops out at 5900 RPM...could be a typo. Almost all other 717's have the rev limiter set at 7000 RPM.

Who are the motor swap gurus on this site? This swap sounds like a a fairly simple swap but I want to buy the right parts the first time.

I have identified the ski as a 95 SPI. and it looks like the exhaust that I have will not work.

Do I need the entire exhaust system from the tune pipe to the through hull outlet...water box and all?

find a 717 x4 ski for a donor (95 xp, 96 spx) as you're going to need pretty much everything. Electronics, cables, entire exhaust..

the 97 sp was a weird little 717 ski that had different cylinder porting and a low rev limiter that made it really asthmatic. Since there were no more 587 or 657 skis being made they made a weak 717.

find a 717 x4 ski for a donor (95 xp, 96 spx) as you're going to need pretty much everything. Electronics, cables, entire exhaust..

the 97 sp was a weird little 717 ski that had different cylinder porting and a low rev limiter that made it really asthmatic. Since there were no more 587 or 657 skis being made they made a weak 717.
Are you sure that I need the entire ebox? I have been looking up part numbers for the SPI that I have and the 95 XP as well as the 96 SPX. It looks like the only significant difference in the ebox is the Module. What am I missing?

What ski is the Ebox out of? I am not sure if it matters what ski it is from, but it may be useful information, and I don't want the 97 SP Ebox.

I was on the site jetdrift.com and it says that the 97 SP tops out at 5900 RPM...could be a typo. Almost all other 717's have the rev limiter set at 7000 RPM.

Who are the motor swap gurus on this site? This swap sounds like a a fairly simple swap but I want to buy the right parts the first time.
Not sure but the MPEM has a warning that says "NOT to use it in 587 skis." :) I have 2 like that. :)

MPEMS Gray Boxes (2).JPG

MPEMS Gray Boxes (3).JPG

MPEMS Gray Boxes (7).JPG

Not sure but the MPEM has a warning that says "NOT to use it in 587 skis." :) I have 2 like that. :)

View attachment 64326

View attachment 64327

View attachment 64328

View attachment 64326

View attachment 64327

View attachment 64328
I think that warning means that if you install that MPEM on a 587 the rev limiter will be set too high and blow up the engine. That rev limiter is probably 7000 RPM the 587 should be set at about 6500 RPM.

I found a box from an HX. I spoke with West Side Power Sports on the phone. he said that all I need from the exhaust is the header pipe and that An HX box will work. He said that the main reason to replace the entire box is because 587 has solid wires from the Stator and the 717 has the square 4 pin connector on top of the Mag housing, and the wires would need to be spliced.

And then I spoke with another guy in South Carolina (Tampa Bay Jay) and it seamed like he wanted to talk for hours. He started by talking me out of buying the 717 pipe that he had for sale on Ebay. He said that I could use my 587 pipe, he claimed that the 587 pipe would make it a "little more peppy" He also stated that because I am using a single carb I will not want the pipe from an XP, It won't have enough restriction in it to run properly. He also said that the HX doesn't have gauges and that may cause me issues in the swap.

I ended up buying a 717 pipe anyway, but not from an XP,...I am trying to avoid any tuning issues. I am not building a race ski, just trying to make a ski run with an engine that I have.

Sounds like the guy from South Carolina has a good handle on things and isnt worrying about making $$. I like that. Good luck with your journey.

Back