230 Challenger drops from N to R

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elerandeau

I have a new to me 2007 Challenger 230 that I’m having issues with the reverse buckets dropping out of neutral into reverse. The boat slowly creeps in forward in neutral so I don’t think the buckets are adjusted to low in N but as soon as I go from F to N and let go of the shifter lever the buckets drop to reverse. Is there a way to adjust the detent or tension is on the shifter in N? I’ve taken the buckets off to adjust the spring in the forward locking pawl to get the lock function working properly again and everything seemed to be in good shape as far the bucket hardware and linkage goes. It acts like the force from the jets is just to much in N and drops buckets. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I feel ya, have an 07, 230 with the twin supercharged. Thrust from the jets and water conditions play a big part of when it will hold in neutral or push out of etc. calm waters rarely pops out, any sort of current or chop and it’s right away. I’ve just made a rule not to leave helm while motors are on and keep hand on shifter. Been doing so long don’t even think about anymore. If I have to do something like getting anchor I’ll have some one man in case it decides to go into reverse.

For the creeping I know can adjust the buckets on the back. I’ve found a happy spot right at the bottom of neutral (again have to hold in place) but keeps from going forward.

I have my buckets adjusted up fairly far, hence the creeping, which I don’t mind at all. I just want it to stay in N. I’ve been in a V-Drive forever so this is my first jet but just doesn’t seem like it’s normal for the buckets to want to drop into reverse all the time.
Mine is constants pressure towards reverse, it actually takes a bit of force to keep it in N which seems a bit weird as well. Last weekend was absolute glass and it still was just as bad for some reason.

The detent has a spring loaded pin in the shifter and can be easily be tightened with a flat blade screwdriver. Just unscrew mounts for shifter and lift it up a few inches, nothing has to be disconnected, and you'll see it in the center on the side. Tighten it until you like the feel. Anything in between the 3 detents, F, N, and R, will snap it one way or the other so don't count on it staying between detents. Adjusting the neutral position is simple and can be done at both ends of the cable. Once the neutral position and detent strength is adjusted, it works very well.

There’s a crappy spring in the reverse gate latch that barely applies the expected tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back