2010 Challenger SE Weird Engine Noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

coldseattle

Have a fairly recently new to me 2010 210 Challenger SE. Bought the boat and took it out a few times and all was good, even going near top speed. Recently the left engine starts to make a loud rumbling noise (clip of the noise here:
) when I put the throttle in the forward position, and it doesn't really accelerate. At neutral the engine sounds fine, and it sounds ok during very low speeds, but anything after that it starts to rumble really loud. My right engine sounds totally fine. It's a 2010 Challenger SE with 2 x 215HP engines. I've tried throttling in forward and reverse thinking I may have sucked something up, but it hasn't helped the noise go away. No malfunction notifications or anything on the dash. Any ideas what it could be?

I am guessing your bearing in the jet pump.

If the seal is bad, water will get into the grease and the bearing will get rough, then get a crap ton of play. That sounds like the crap ton of play sound to me.

If you have the ability to crawl under it and take some photos up through the grate at the impeller and pump you will see the wear ring galled right out where the shaft has play.

I am guessing your bearing in the jet pump.

If the seal is bad, water will get into the grease and the bearing will get rough, then get a crap ton of play. That sounds like the crap ton of play sound to me.

If you have the ability to crawl under it and take some photos up through the grate at the impeller and pump you will see the wear ring galled right out where the shaft has play.
Appreciate the feedback MacSeaDoo. Unfortunately the boat's in the water and didn't come with a trailer, so that makes things tough. Sounds like I'm going to need to rent a trailer to bring it to the shop if it's a bad bearing.

Do you think it's ok to run that engine at low speed before it goes in the shop, or should I only use the other engine for now? Thanks again

I would not run that engine at all until you get it inspected.

You also should not operate the boat on one engine as you can force water in the waterbox of the down engine eventually pushing water through the exhaust and hydro locking the down engine. There is a procedure in the owners manual to clamp the raw water hose on the down engine if you need to tow or run with a dead engine.

Another thing to note is that Seadoo boats/pwc's are not designed to sit in the water full time. I know this will probably be a shocker and sound crazy, but they have a carbon seal that will leak when sitting in the water.

Now that being said, some leave them in the water. If you do, make sure you have a good charge in the battery and check it every day to make sure the battery is not being run down by you bilge pumps.

I would not run that engine at all until you get it inspected.

You also should not operate the boat on one engine as you can force water in the waterbox of the down engine eventually pushing water through the exhaust and hydro locking the down engine. There is a procedure in the owners manual to clamp the raw water hose on the down engine if you need to tow or run with a dead engine.

Another thing to note is that Seadoo boats/pwc's are not designed to sit in the water full time. I know this will probably be a shocker and sound crazy, but they have a carbon seal that will leak when sitting in the water.

Now that being said, some leave them in the water. If you do, make sure you have a good charge in the battery and check it every day to make sure the battery is not being run down by you bilge pumps.
Damn good to know. Appreciate all the advice MacSeaDoo. The boat only sits in the water for summer but I still get it sounds like that's not great/

Back