Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoFunSize

Hello group, this is my first post or help. I just bought a used 2006 Sportster 215 and I took it out for the first time. After shifting Forward, Neutral, and Reverse a few times, I was comfortable exiting the harbor to enter Lake Michigan. As I was approaching the light, I tried to shift to Neutral to wait for the light the shift lever was stuck 1/4 of the way back to Neutral so I stopped the engine and stayed calm. To shorten the story, 5 minutes later, I went to the back of the boat and manually pull the reverse bucket to neutral. Saved the day and trip. Had to do that a few more times before the trip ends.

When at home, I did the inspection and found the stop pawl screws are rubbing the stop mechanism, note some wear in the third photo, and created some friction coming from Forward back to Neutral. I could have yanked the shift gear really really hard and possibly get it to N but I certainly didn't want to force anything, especially when I don't know enough about how things work.

Here I see a few options:
1. Loosen the reverse bucket left bolt and tighten the right bolt enough to clear the screws.
2. Grind own the screw pockets by a few millimeters
3. Grind down the screw head - which is NOT an option I want to do
4. Grind down the bracket where the wears are (see the one with 3 arrows) but that will thin down the pin holder. Also don't want to pursue.

I'd already taken the stop pawl out and shifted back and forth to make sure the shifter are working smoothly.

Anyone has any experience with this. I would like some advice. Thanks again!!!

StopPawlScrews.png

Attachments

• StopPawlDiagram.png
    StopPawlDiagram.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 14
  • StopPawlDiagram2.png
    StopPawlDiagram2.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I can confirm that on my Speedster the screws to not touch the assy.

I would say you should try your plan to tighten and loosen but wonder if all your spacers and bushings are in place. Here is mine

Attachments

• 20220606_193445.jpg
    20220606_193445.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 12
So I finally have time to remove them. 1. The problem side was missing a nylon washer, that accounted for the couple millimeters of space necessary for it to operate without impact. Somebody wasn't thinking straight when installing them, the bushing was replaced at one point. There was no lube, it could have been "dissolved" over time, I assume positive and someone did add marine lube. I think I know where to go from here.

Attachments

• StopPawlScrews.png
    StopPawlScrews.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Hey, Glad you are able to figure this out.

Any lube there is gone very quickly. The lube is actually the water to be honest on the stainless steel parts.

If you were missing the nylon washer, that would act as a spacer and a surface friction reducer. Replace it and I would assume you will be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back