Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepinJ

Hi All,
Just got a new GTI 170 and was super excited to get out and ride it. Asked the guy are you sure this thing is ready to ride like 6 times. Yes they said got it up to temp and run all the tests everything is ready to go. Go fill it up with gas, read the user manual about the break in process and hit the water.

5 minutes into the ride it breaks down. Sit out on the water for 30 minutes reading the manual thinking must be user error. Finally 45 minutes pass and I see another jet ski (Yamaha). Flag him down and hook up the tow rope. Mean while my wife is at the dock ready to call for help as its been 2 hours and I have not returned. Get back to the landing and load it up. Take it back to the (for now un-named dealer) for a look see. They are like we never have problems with new ones so it must be something simple.

Anyway I think they should just give me a new one but they are insisting on fixing it. Just spent thousands of dollars so I would not have this problem and now here I am with no ski.

What do others think? Should I push for a new one? Should I push for a free cover or something for all this hassle? Anyone else having problems with there new 2020 GTIs? Getting super frustrated with the whole experience and all my friends with Yamahas are having quite the laugh at my expense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Update:

Now they are saying that the motor is fried. Looks like someone left the drain plugs out and rode it. F-That. I read the owners manual from head to tail and put both drain plugs in and was breaking in multi throttle from 14 - 40 mph in one minute bursts. Going to get a new PWC out of the incident and will update this post with hopefully happy conclusion. While it was running felt great and was super stable. Going to miss the ski for this holiday weekend, but first world problems I guess. Will let you know if I get a free cover out of the deal...

LOL

Last edited:
Looks like someone left the drain plugs out and rode it.

I call BS on that excuse. I've ridden without drain plugs before (not on purpose) and water does NOT enter the hull. There are check valves in the drain neck assembly to prevent water intrusion.

I'd bet money one of the hose clamps wasn't tightened sufficiently and water came in that way. This has been a very common problem (on other models) since they moved manufacturing to Mexico.

BTW, always take a phone with you and consider a towing service such as SeaTow or Tow Boat US. Some insurance policies cover towing.

Thanks all! Really appreciate the the advice. I had my cell phone just bad service and timing with the guy who rescued me. Just got a new 'new' 2020 170 GTI and was talking with the mechanic he confirmed the photos above and said they should protect the motor from water. They only said it 'looked like someone had run it underwater with no oil'. I should get the photos as they show piston 3 exploded and metal shavings off it. Somehow the antifreeze went straight into the engine and that was the beginning of the end. Will update this post when I get back from riding this weekend, as this had to be a 1 in a thousand type event. (I hope :)

Reactions: JKU
Glad they did you right and you are back on the water in your "New" one! I boat on a lake as well and carry my cell phone, but as with most lakes, many areas on the lake have poor cell coverage. Hence, I carry VHF Marine Radios on my boat and waterproof portable VHF on the PWC's. ALL of the Marina's, Tow Services, and CG Aux (if you have them on your lake), monitor Ch16 and it's the quickest way to get assistance. No relaying over a cell phone if you even have coverage. Cabela's has the Cobra Marine HH350 for about $109.00. Time is money, especially when you are sitting "dead in the water". There is a cheaper model, but the power wattage on that one is marginal in my opinion and not sufficient for large lakes. On a side note, did you new 2020 GTI SE 170 come with a L-Key (Learning Key - Green Lanyard) or just the one "Yellow" (Normal Key). I note the manual and display addresses setting the L-Key mode, but my 2020 GTI SE 170's only came with the one "Normal" Key.

Reactions: JKU
Thanks for info on marine radio will be looking into getting one for sure. I asked for a learning key but was told you could set the mode manually. Not sure how to yet or if it’s possible. Only got one normal key too.

The Cobra Marine HH350 comes in Black or White. They are waterproof and float! And fit nicely in the glove box even with the antenna on it. As for the L-Key, I kind of got the same info from the dealership, but when I questioned the value of having to need the "Normal Key" to set the L-Key Mode, and then having to give the "Normal Key" to a beginner, doesn't that allow the beginner full performance because the Normal Key was used to start the craft and what's to stop the beginner from simply resetting the Learning Mode if they have possession of the Normal Key? There was silence. If the Green Learning Key is now a "must be purchased separately", they should just say so.

Once the green learner key is programmed the normal key is out of the equation and is not needed. On the higher horsepower skis the green
key seems to me almost a necessity for a 16 year old just learning to jet ski. All are newbies spend the first year green only and we can use the bump up the speed option as they get more comfortable.

Last edited:
Once the green learner key is programmed the normal key is out of the equation and is not needed. On the higher horsepower skis the green
key seems to me almost a necessity for a 16 year old just learning to jet ski. All are newbies spend the first year green only and we can use the bump up the speed option as they get more comfortable.
Could not agree more! Why on earth would they stop providing such a great tool for such a great safety feature? The minimal savings they yield is really a disservice to owners. This is right up there with “let’s nickel and dime our customers or over charge for $700 Coolers, $115.00 USB power plugs” and then, ask for another $100 for a second key to their machine. I get trying to keep cost down, but when your spending about $25K for two skis and a trailer, you should really get two sets of keys.

Ordering up a marine radio! The ski did perform flawlessly during the five days of break in period and ready to see what it can really do this week. I agree with the learning key and am going to go back to dealer and push for learning key. Will report back with the findings.

Hi All,
Just got a new GTI 170 and was super excited to get out and ride it. Asked the guy are you sure this thing is ready to ride like 6 times. Yes they said got it up to temp and run all the tests everything is ready to go. Go fill it up with gas, read the user manual about the break in process and hit the water.

5 minutes into the ride it breaks down. Sit out on the water for 30 minutes reading the manual thinking must be user error. Finally 45 minutes pass and I see another jet ski (Yamaha). Flag him down and hook up the tow rope. Mean while my wife is at the dock ready to call for help as its been 2 hours and I have not returned. Get back to the landing and load it up. Take it back to the (for now un-named dealer) for a look see. They are like we never have problems with new ones so it must be something simple.

Anyway I think they should just give me a new one but they are insisting on fixing it. Just spent thousands of dollars so I would not have this problem and now here I am with no ski.

What do others think? Should I push for a new one? Should I push for a free cover or something for all this hassle? Anyone else having problems with there new 2020 GTIs? Getting super frustrated with the whole experience and all my friends with Yamahas are having quite the laugh at my expense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just picked one up today and 1.5hrs in to it the motor just quit and starter only clicks will be going back to dealer hope it isnt the problem you had but have a funny feeling motor is locked up tight as a drum

Just picked one up today and 1.5hrs in to it the motor just quit and starter only clicks will be going back to dealer hope it isnt the problem you had but have a funny feeling motor is locked up tight as a drum

Yep that’s exactly what mine did. Just explain that you were following the break in procedures to the tee. Better sooner than later tho because I was told sea doo does not cover the engine exploding after 6 hours.

Report back and let us know!

Whoever told you that lied.

The only way it wouldn't be covered is if it was damaged due to owner abuse.

The dealer was bent on fixing mine but finally gave me a new one. They told me sea doo had found that if it does not happen within 6 hours it was almost always due to user error / abuse. Not sure how you fight with dealer call sea doo directly? Haven’t got to that point yet but from what I am reading here probably will before my 5 year warranty is up. Will be interesting to see if they stand behind their products. I bought a used 95 SPI when it was already out of warranty and rode it for 10 years with no problems before this. Everyone said Yamaha is the best these days but I still went with the doo. Time will tell.

This is exactly what happened to me today! Just bought a Wake 170 and was breaking it in on a local lake with my wife and 2.5 old son...

Luckily I just dropped them off at the dock and was still in the no wake zone... Engine made some weird noises and then died. I couldn't start it. The starter made some weird clicking noises then reported the battery was dead. Thank goodness I was wearing my sandals as I used them to row back to shore.

Got home and checked the intake thinking I was an idiot and sucked something in... Nope all clean. Then I pulled the battery as when I tried to start the engine I saw the battery icon on the dash... Tested it with my multimeter and it was good. So I drove to a battery store and had them test it... All good.

Got home and checked if there was oil, yup...

I think my engine blew with less than an hour on the water...

This is exactly what happened to me today! Just bought a Wake 170 and was breaking it in on a local lake with my wife and 2.5 old son...

Luckily I just dropped them off at the dock and was still in the no wake zone... Engine made some weird noises and then died. I couldn't start it. The starter made some weird clicking noises then reported the battery was dead. Thank goodness I was wearing my sandals as I used them to row back to shore.

Got home and checked the intake thinking I was an idiot and sucked something in... Nope all clean. Then I pulled the battery as when I tried to start the engine I saw the battery icon on the dash... Tested it with my multimeter and it was good. So I drove to a battery store and had them test it... All good.

Got home and checked if there was oil, yup...

I think my engine blew with less than an hour on the water...

Damb bro sorry! This might happen more than a guy wants to believe. Please keep us updated.

Yep that’s exactly what mine did. Just explain that you were following the break in procedures to the tee. Better sooner than later tho because I was told sea doo does not cover the engine exploding after 6 hours.

Report back and let us know!

Any word??

Damb bro sorry! This might happen more than a guy wants to believe. Please keep us updated.

Thank you.

TLDR: Sea Doo is shipping all new internal components (engine/exhaust/starter) which are on backorder and not available at any dealer. Dealer was fantastically awesome and instead of having me go through all these hoops and wait they are swapping mine out for a brand new one. I couldn't ask or hope for a better resolution. I'm now a customer for life! Going to be buying an Axis boat in 2-3 years...

Long Version:
I arrived to my dealer the minute they opened the doors and the salesman was surprised to see me with a huge frown on my face. I told him my engine blew up on me and he said (looking at me suspiciously) that he has never seen that happen in his entire career. I was swiftly introduced to the manager of the service department, explained what happened and he also stated he has never seen this before. Got it into service first thing and said they would call. 4+ hours later, I got the call where I was informed, yes, the engine blew up (still doing more diagnostics i.e. pulling the heads off), but Sea Doo already agreed to send all new internals (engine/exhaust/starter/etc.)... Service manager stated it is unusual for Sea Doo to agree so quickly and suggest it needs ALL new parts (known engineering or manufacturing defect????).

I then said, what is the dealer going to do for me since this whole process would take a long time with all the required parts being on backorder, then freight, then service. I got the "this is above my paygrade" and was told he would have the salesman call me.

Salesman called and said it looks like I'm all taken care of with everything on order and set to be repaired. I said, no that is just the baseline (especially since I bought the 5 year factory warranty), what is the dealer going to do for me? I was asked what does that mean and said I want to swap the machine for a new one so I can get back on the water immediately. I was told that the dealer owner would be calling me.

Owner called and said, we are swapping this for you. In the 33 years selling Sea Doo, this is the first time this has ever happened. I expressed my gratitude and said you have just secured a customer for life because I basically want 1 of everything they are selling. I can't be more thankful for how this turned out!!!!!

I'm counting my blessings!!!!!

Thank you.

TLDR: Sea Doo is shipping all new internal components (engine/exhaust/starter) which are on backorder and not available at any dealer. Dealer was fantastically awesome and instead of having me go through all these hoops and wait they are swapping mine out for a brand new one. I couldn't ask or hope for a better resolution. I'm now a customer for life! Going to be buying an Axis boat in 2-3 years...

Long Version:
I arrived to my dealer the minute they opened the doors and the salesman was surprised to see me with a huge frown on my face. I told him my engine blew up on me and he said (looking at me suspiciously) that he has never seen that happen in his entire career. I was swiftly introduced to the manager of the service department, explained what happened and he also stated he has never seen this before. Got it into service first thing and said they would call. 4+ hours later, I got the call where I was informed, yes, the engine blew up (still doing more diagnostics i.e. pulling the heads off), but Sea Doo already agreed to send all new internals (engine/exhaust/starter/etc.)... Service manager stated it is unusual for Sea Doo to agree so quickly and suggest it needs ALL new parts (known engineering or manufacturing defect????).

I then said, what is the dealer going to do for me since this whole process would take a long time with all the required parts being on backorder, then freight, then service. I got the "this is above my paygrade" and was told he would have the salesman call me.

Salesman called and said it looks like I'm all taken care of with everything on order and set to be repaired. I said, no that is just the baseline (especially since I bought the 5 year factory warranty), what is the dealer going to do for me? I was asked what does that mean and said I want to swap the machine for a new one so I can get back on the water immediately. I was told that the dealer owner would be calling me.

Owner called and said, we are swapping this for you. In the 33 years selling Sea Doo, this is the first time this has ever happened. I expressed my gratitude and said you have just secured a customer for life because I basically want 1 of everything they are selling. I can't be more thankful for how this turned out!!!!!

I'm counting my blessings!!!!!

They made it right on my end too! Good deal. I have been riding nonstop for 5 days then a few in between and no issue so that’s a plus. Going to look through the forum for ideas on coolers and rod holders. 600 is a lot but maybe someone has found something cheaper. Going to by the ski tower and pull the kids on tub and try to find a deal on a wakeboard.

They made it right on my end too! Good deal. I have been riding nonstop for 5 days then a few in between and no issue so that’s a plus. Going to look through the forum for ideas on coolers and rod holders. 600 is a lot but maybe someone has found something cheaper. Going to by the ski tower and pull the kids on tub and try to find a deal on a wakeboard.

Glad they made it right. I'm in the same mindset, I want that cooler, but $600... Let me know if you find something better/cheaper. I just bought an expanding paddle and waterproof walkie-talkies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back